Mobility scooter from ship to town

CoffeeGoddess

I've searched and saw several threads talking about using a cab for a mobility scooter and about walking from the ship into town but nothing that quite answers the question I have.  Is there a nice paved walkway that my mom could use a mobility scooter on to get from the ship into town without getting a cab?  I'd like to take her to Holland House for a beach day when go but I'm pretty sure she'd have some difficulty getting into and out of the water taxi if it's how I remember it and really don't want to take a cab.

Has anyone walked it fairly recently that confirm it would be doable?  Thanks!

My best guess would be no. Lots of curbs, broken sidewalks , no sidewalks in places, torn up brick walkways and streets.  Some places heavy sand, standing water.

If you made it downtown, the sidewalks can be very narrow, with no room to maneuver in the street with out getting run over. 

Now right around the cruise ship dock is fine. Several stores , shops, bars and restaurants there. But I certainly wouldn't want to miss the feel of the downtown area.

Why not just take a regular taxi? It's jut a few minutes and not very expensive. The last time we taxied front the courthouse (right downtown) back to the ship was $5.

Edited by satbeachbill

On 10/24/2018 at 3:45 PM, Amylynner said:

Following, wow I had the exact same question. We want to do the same thing in December. I hope someone can answer! Also, can you maneuver a scooter on the side streets where all the shopping is on Front and Back streets?

I can't speak to the streets but I can tell you when I was there last there was a nice wide walkway at the buildings on the beach side.  I would assume it would still be there and I don't think there would be any issue getting a scooter on it. 

CAM00246.jpg

CAM00255.jpg

It was very easy riding a scooter from the ship to the boardwalk where Holland House is. The boardwalk is wide and smooth. We had no problems traveling to the end of the boardwalk and then to Front street and all the way back on Front Street.

We did not go on Back St so I don't know what it is like.

IMG_2970.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

It was very easy riding a scooter from the ship to the boardwalk where Holland House is. The boardwalk is wide and smooth. We had no problems traveling to the end of the boardwalk and then to Front street and all the way back on Front Street.

We did not go on Back St so I don't know what it is like.

2 hours ago, satbeachbill said:

Once you get downtown, here's a walking video on Front St. Maybe this will help you decide:

Thank you both!  It sounds like walking it with my mom on a scooter is certainly doable and that she can go shopping downtown while I kick back.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that when there are a lot of cruise ships in port, Front St., especially, can get packed with people. Much more crowded tha the videos above look. Guess it depends on time of year (slow or busy cruise season) and time of day. Therefore maneuvering on a scooter might  be frustrating & require extra patience and vigillance. Now the wide boardwalk sidewalk along the beach would be much easier.  Perhaps you could check out Front St., etc., while your mom waits by the beach/boardwalk with a cool drink to see if you think driving a scooter on Front St. will work for her. My husband used a scooter on a ship last February for the first time. He is able to walk for short periods of time and we did consider taking it down town. However we ended up renting a car near the ship’s dock instead. If you want to shop there, there are dozens of stores. Many of them are branches of the very same ones that are downtown. So if your mom does not end up leaving the boardwalk area, you can do a little shopping buy the port. (Actually, perhaps you already know or someone else on this thread does, but can scooters be brought onto the ferries into town?)

I am only going to mention this next part because many ships that have St. Maarten on their itinerary also call at San Juan. San Juan has accessible curbs at pretty much every corner.  While going up steep hills on the narrow, busy streets or narrow, uneven sidewalks might not work for your mom,  lower boulevards near the water and I believe even the sidewalks leading up to the grounds of El Morro, can be managed on a scooter.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:26 PM, mlbcruiser said:

am only going to mention this next part because many ships that have St. Maarten on their itinerary also call at San Juan. San Juan has accessible curbs at pretty much every corner.  While going up steep hills on the narrow, busy streets or narrow, uneven sidewalks might not work for your mom,  lower boulevards near the water and I believe even the sidewalks leading up to the grounds of El Morro, can be managed on a scooter.

Thanks for your input!  Mom's the shopper and she probably will be happy to stay along the boardwalk and just get things at the port.  We're in San Juan late so she wasn't planning on going out far if at all.