Pacific Princess’ fate?

SoBaycruiser

2 hours ago, TwoCruisers said:

I just finished a cruise on the Pacific Princess on 1/5/019. While on board I asked about the possibility of Princess selling the Pacific Princess. I was told that she is going in for another dry-dock in May 2019. There are NO current plans for getting rid of the Pacific Princess.

Her schedule is blank between the 27th of May and the 12th of June and FLL bookends those dates. Looks like a drydock in the Bahamas...

Medallion upgrades maybe? Doesn't seem long enough.

Edited by beg3yrs

4 hours ago, TracieABD said:

I am so glad to hear this, as I dream of cruising the one last "small ship"...

Tracie

We also just returned from the Christmas/New Year's cruise on her.

You really should fulfill your dream.

Boarding was as long as it took us to walk from the taxi to our cabin with virtually no stops (except to get our cruise cards) and disembarkation was the same.

Almost no lines anywhere for anything. The Captain's Circle party, which we avoid  like the plague on the larger ships, was actually fun.

You get to know a LOT of the crew and they know you.

It's such a different , relaxing experience!

The ONLY negative was that the guest entertainers weren't great and there wasn't much to do past 11 at night except listen to the DJ in an almost empty lounge. (Or sit out at the pool and enjoy the warm night).

2 hours ago, chamima said:

Tracie

Boarding was as long as it took us to walk from the taxi to our cabin with virtually no stops (except to get our cruise cards) and disembarkation was the same.

Almost no lines anywhere for anything. The Captain's Circle party, which we avoid  like the plague on the larger ships, was actually fun.

The ONLY negative was that the guest entertainers weren't great and there wasn't much to do past 11 at night except listen to the DJ in an almost empty lounge. (Or sit out at the pool and enjoy the warm night).

We were on the cruise before you the TA from Rome. Agree with everything above.

We did like the guest entertainers but after about 9 30 there was little to do and we went back to our cabin most nights. Piano player did not seem to ever play a song less than 50 years old and ditto for singing duo.

The dancers and singers were very good and friendly and spoke to them more than any other cruise we have been on.

That's why the Pacific is especially good on port-intensive itineraries.  Everyone gets to bed early because they're getting up early and hitting the sites the next morning.  Entertainment really takes a back seat to the ports IMO.  Great ship with a great crew!  I hope that when the time comes, the ship will be sold to Azamara. 

7 hours ago, TwoCruisers said:

I just finished a cruise on the Pacific Princess on 1/5/019. While on board I asked about the possibility of Princess selling the Pacific Princess. I was told that she is going in for another dry-dock in May 2019. There are NO current plans for getting rid of the Pacific Princess.

FWIW.......They would not share that with a passenger regardless.  

3 hours ago, chamima said:

Tracie

Thank you so much! I just have to make it happen...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, chamima said:

I don't think the guest entertainer issue necessarily was an issue because of the size of the ship, it just depends on who they get.  We were on this same cruise, and yeah, some of the guest entertainment was just downright dreadful.  (If anyone ever sees that their evening show is being done by Kamikaze Fireflies - run, don't walk, away.  Scary part is my understanding is that that's not the only booking they've gotten on Princess, they've been on other Princess ships, which to me says whoever is in charge of entertainment at Princess needs to be fired).  The previous trip we took on the Pacific (Iceland in 2017?) I thought the entertainment was significantly better than what we got.  But I've also seen plenty of dreadful entertainment on the larger ships too.

And my understanding is that a good chunk of the dancers at least were on their first contract (and were actually going to be leaving the ship at the end of the first segment of the world cruise, apparently they bring on a more experienced company for the duration of the world cruise).

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, TwoCruisers said:

I'm not saying you were lied to but HAL said the exact same thing about the Prinsendam right before she was sold.  They won't release any info to a passenger.

19 minutes ago, piper28 said:

If anyone ever sees that their evening show is being done by Kamikaze Fireflies - run, don't walk, away. 

I had a really good  laugh when I read that.

I don't think anyone could, in their wildest imagination, think how awful that was.

(And we were in the front row so couldn't leave)

We've also been on the small ships about 5 times and the entertainment was much better so i don't blame that on her size.

As far as the dancers - I thought they were great. And the two singers were exceptional!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On Sapphire Princess, the future cruise sales person announced during one of his presentations that the Island Princess will be doing the US based world cruise starting in 2022, instead of the Pacific Princess.

7 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

On Sapphire Princess, the future cruise sales person announced during one of his presentations that the Island Princess will be doing the US based world cruise starting in 2022, instead of the Pacific Princess.

Hmmmmm.............that would be a terrible choice IMO....☹️

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Hmmmmm.............that would be a terrible choice IMO....☹️

Indeed - I thought the special itineraries were going to soon be the Coral's duty.  I don't know what they do with the Island - I think Princess realized they botched her, badly.

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Indeed - I thought the special itineraries were going to soon be the Coral's duty.  I don't know what they do with the Island - I think Princess realized they botched her, badly.

Oh dear..... I’m certainly hoping we enjoy the Island for our 8th May cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage!!  We have not been on the Island or the Coral before so I guess we sail on her without any preconceived ideas!

We have sailed on the Ocean Princess and absolutely loved her and would love to sail on the Pacific in the future, so I hope they don’t sell her anytime soon.

Vicki. 🙂 

On 1/7/2019 at 10:17 AM, TracieABD said:

I am so glad to hear this, as I dream of cruising the one last "small ship"...

Unless you are a die hard Princess fan, there are the same ships on Azamara and I believe Oceania.  There is also much better service on the non-Princess R ships and the layouts are the same.

DON

On 1/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, piper28 said:

I don't think the guest entertainer issue necessarily was an issue because of the size of the ship, it just depends on who they get.  We were on this same cruise, and yeah, some of the guest entertainment was just downright dreadful.  (If anyone ever sees that their evening show is being done by Kamikaze Fireflies - run, don't walk, away. 

I am sure that these entertainers are the best in the Princess price range,

On 1/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, Micah's Grandad said:

The dancers and singers were very good and friendly and spoke to them more than any other cruise we have been on.

The show performers do double duty as members of the Cruise Director's staff. Thus they conduct the trivias and other activities on the ship. Usually they like to do this as they will not be bored on days they do not need to rehearse or perform and they do get compensated for the extra work.

Also, the future cruise sales person and the Captain's Circle host are the one person on this ship.

Small cruise ships are changing and the days of the ultra small ships are giving way to the modern 750 to 1200 passenger luxury   ships. I thought Pacific would be long gone a couple years ago once Ocean was sold. My guess is the rumor is true that Azamara will take her. 

Princess may not build any more small ships but the fact that this one almost always sails full and people (like us) are willing to pay a premium to sail on her tells me that Princess knows they are filling a small niche in the market with this ship and won't be getting rid of her any time soon.

2 hours ago, chamima said:

Princess may not build any more small ships but the fact that this one almost always sails full and people (like us) are willing to pay a premium to sail on her tells me that Princess knows they are filling a small niche in the market with this ship and won't be getting rid of her any time soon.

i know many people were saddened when the sun class ships sailed for Australian waters - only two if them left now as well. Maybe Princess should build a few of these to act as their small ship cruising perhaps

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, RDC1 said:

I guess on the Brightside, they'll have a ship that offers open dining doing the world cruise and prices may come down a titch with a higher capacity.

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

I guess on the Brightside, they'll have a ship that offers open dining doing the world cruise and prices may come down a titch with a higher capacity.

Read a comment yesterday that the Island is replacing the Pacific for the world cruises.

If that is true that sucks.