Petition for RCCL to cease and disist smart baording protocol

Drummer72

3 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

Mock me. Its Ok.  Being on vacation, can give one a false sense of security.  Being dilligent is not over reacting.  In three weeks ive been trying to get this to the attention of RCCL top brass, i have collected 3. Thats right 3 signatures.  What does that tell you?

Tells me most people don’t care about it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Again, if there is no envelope on the outside of your cabin door, go to Guest Services.  Any previous cards would be disabled by them when they make your new card.  And if there are charges, again go to Guest Services and report them.

They should not even occur, because when a SeaPass card is swiped by a bar tender, the photo of the actual card holder comes up.  

How would they have your picture if the cards are put into the cabins before you have boarded?  They would have to REQUIRE everyone to do online check-in and submit a photo at that time … can't see that happening … 

1 minute ago, Lady Chew said:

How would they have your picture if the cards are put into the cabins before you have boarded?  They would have to REQUIRE everyone to do online check-in and submit a photo at that time … can't see that happening … 

That's the way it's done on some ships

10 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Other lines use the photo from your passport, if you don't have one they'll take a photo, they're all added electronically. When the card is swiped (like when you buy a drink) your picture pops up. If the person with the card is not the correct person they'll just keep the card, and probably security will show up. It speeds up boarding quite a bit and I've never heard of anyone who had their cards taken - we've been on several cruises where the cards were at our cabin. Not a big deal at all.

48 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Your picture is not embedded in the card. The card accesses your account in the computer where your picture is stored. The picture gets there when you upload it or they take it in the terminal. Have you ever noticed that with the old way if doing check-in they never ran your seapass through any type of scanner to embed your picture when they took it?They simply handed you your card once they located it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

This is, indeed, the very simple solution to Drummer's mental anguish.

When you get to your cabin, if there is no envelope on the outside of your door, go to Guest Services.  You would have to do that anyway, since you wouldn't be able to get into the cabin!  😄 😄 😄

And no, no one can use the card to "burglarize" your room and then return it to the door.  It's not a regular envelope.  It is "tear-strip", so there is no way to restore the envelope to its original condition.

Would have been nice if they sealed it.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Again, if there is no envelope on the outside of your cabin door, go to Guest Services.  Any previous cards would be disabled by them when they make your new card.  And if there are charges, again go to Guest Services and report them.

They should not even occur, because when a SeaPass card is swiped by a bar tender, the photo of the actual card holder comes up.  

Last thing I want is a trip to Guest Services on boarding day.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

Im getting a petition together to force RCL from putting us all at risk with smart boarding protocol.

i will not cruise with them again until card are handed to you at check in.  Leaving the cards for anyone to take is DANGEROUS.  

Leaving them in an envelope when you arrive.  Would you leave house keys next to your door... NO, you would not.

if you are interested in supporting your saftey on board RCCL. Please let me know.  So far i have 3 signatures.  From other concered passengers.  What is it going to take to get them to listen. A mugging, a beat down a robbery from someone hiding in your room when you arrive.  

Please, together we can make RCCL “GREAT AGAIN”

thank you....

Make it 4.  Would you consider amending it to eliminate cards altogether and go to Retinal Scanning?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

This is all new to me. So my seapass card will be on my door..  Is the setsail pass the thing I print at home before my cruise? ...

Correct, it acts as your boarding pass.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

Why make fun of me.  Im sincerely troubled at this ongoing practice.  Sorry, you need to resort to grammer school tactics with your Gilligans Island reference.  But, as a christian i must forgive you. 

I had preconceived issues with this system until the first time I sailed on a ship using it. This turned out to be a non-issue, at least for me. The card on the outside of the door is in a tamper proof envelope. If it is either not there or the envelope has been played around with you will know it and the resolution is not difficult.

Also, with cameras in the passageways I would not want to be the the one found to have been messing around with the cards. I suspect that person's cruise might be far shorter that what had been anticipated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

This is all new to me. So my seapass card will be on my door..  Is the setsail pass the thing I print at home before my cruise?What happens to the setsail pass after I use the sea pass? Deactivated? 

I have no idea if it is deactivated. Either put it away somewhere or rip it up.

Thank goodness I’ve never sailed on a ship with this process.  Only mega ship I’ve been on is Oasis and they didn’t do it this way.  I want my card in hand when I board the ship.  If you have to show your set sail document when boarding, I imagine there’s a much longer line than if you just show a card.  In addition, on cruises when I’ve bought the drink package, I’ve always enjoyed a cocktail or two before my room is ready.  I’m not going to pay for a drink when it’s supposed to be taken care of.

1 minute ago, sellwingri said:

Thank goodness I’ve never sailed on a ship with this process.  Only mega ship I’ve been on is Oasis and they didn’t do it this way.  I want my card in hand when I board the ship.  If you have to show your set sail document when boarding, I imagine there’s a much longer line than if you just show a card.  In addition, on cruises when I’ve bought the drink package, I’ve always enjoyed a cocktail or two before my room is ready.  I’m not going to pay for a drink when it’s supposed to be taken care of.

You imagine wrong. Your setsail pass has a bar code on it. They scan it just like your seapsss. It takes no longer to get on the ship. The barcode also brings up that you have a drink package when you get a drink at the bars. You do not have to pay for drinks before you have access to your seapass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

No need to pay for a drink.  The information comes up when they scan your set sail pass.

this process will eventually be on all ships.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

A few cruise lines are doing this now.  As soooo many people have stated, it is a NON issue.  You do NOT pay for your drinks if you have a drink package.  There is a BARCODE on your  boarding pass that you give to the bartender and he scans it.

Just now, champagne123 said:

A few cruise lines are doing this now.  As soooo many people have stated, it is a NON issue.  You do NOT pay for your drinks if you have a drink package.  There is a BARCODE on your  boarding pass that you give to the bartender and he scans it.

Hahahah....we all typed the same thing at the same time.

9 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Why woud it take any longer? Scanning a bar code takes as long as it takes, regardless if you scan it from a card or a piece of paper.

Any purchases onboard or orders from packages can be done from scanning the setsail pass, just as they would from scanning the seapass.

It´s still a non issue.

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I had preconceived issues with this system until the first time I sailed on a ship using it. This turned out to be a non-issue, at least for me. The card on the outside of the door is in a tamper proof envelope. If it is either not there or the envelope has been played around with you will know it and the resolution is not difficult.

Resolution is not difficult as long as you can trust RCI to successfully deactivate the missing card.  My friends' experience suggests that you can't.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

I have never heard of anyone having a card taken.  Which ship did this happen on and when?

It happened earlier this year.  Harmony I believe.  

And to be clear, in this case it wasn't just that the card was taken, but that later the guests who took it entered my friends' room with it after it had been "deactivated" by guest services.  

I'm sure this sort of thing is very, very rare.  But it would also be very easy to avoid even the chance of this occurring by just handing everyone their own card.  

6 minutes ago, danv3 said:

It happened earlier this year.  Harmony I believe.  

And to be clear, in this case it wasn't just that the card was taken, but that later the guests who took it entered my friends' room with it after it had been "deactivated" by guest services.  

I'm sure this sort of thing is very, very rare.  But it would also be very easy to avoid even the chance of this occurring by just handing everyone their own card.  

I can't even tell you how many sea passes I have found over our years of cruising.  People are constantly losing them and I am sure we have all witnessed this.  A pax may not even realize they lost their card for HOURS.  I would be much more worried about that.....than what the OP is referring to.