Oasis of the Seas Review: September 2018

Tifcali

Here is my first try at writing a cruise review. My family and I recently went on a cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas, which sailed out of Port Canaveral.

Pre-Cruise: Before the cruise, my family and I stayed at the Radisson Resort at the Port. My dad researched this hotel before the cruise and found that their Park and Cruise package was a good deal. This package allowed us to arrive the night before the cruise and leave our car in their parking lot while we were on the cruise. When we arrived at the Radisson, we were a little scared, because of the loud noise and masses of people in the pool area. My dad checked us in and they informed him that the elevator in our building was not working. Because of this, they gave us extra vouchers for the shuttle to the cruise port. Apparently, this package only provides 2 shuttle rides per room. Once we lugged our bags up to the 2nd floor, we walked through hallways that smelled like smoke and stood in front of our door. We were all a little scared, but once the door opened, we found one of the nicest rooms that we have ever seen. The room consisted of a bedroom with 2 Queen beds and a living room with a couch and television. The room also had a small kitchen area. The pool areas were very nice, once they adjusted the volume of the music. My parents and little brother spent a little time in the hot tub that evening.

Check out my vlog for video clips:

Radisson Resort at the Port

Embarkation: The next morning we woke up and ate a breakfast of doughnuts that we purchased at the local supermarket. We walked to the front of the Radisson to wait for our shuttle to the cruise port. We arrived early for our 10:30 shuttle and ended up waiting about an hour, because of the horrible pre-cruise traffic. We boarded the shuttle and made it to the terminal by 11:15. The lines at the terminal were long, but the process went smoothly. We passed through security, checked in and my little brother received a wristband for the children’s activities. We were on the boat by noon.

Day 1: We boarded the boat with and were very quickly overwhelmed by the size of the ship. We headed to deck 16 for a lunch at the Windjammer. I liked the selection at the Windjammer, but my mom preferred the food at the main dining room. I have some shots of the food at the MDR for you here: Oasis Food.

We then headed to the pool for some time in the sun. They have four pools on the deck 15 and we found that the Sports Pool was the least crowded. Despite it’s name the Sports Pool never really had any sports going on. We quickly checked out our room which was a Boardwalk Balcony room 11307. This room fit all 5 of our family. While the room was a little small for our family, the balcony offered us a great view of the Boardwalk below and the ocean. Next, we heard the call for the Safety Drill. Obviously, this was not fun. We were herded into the main dining room on deck 2 and watched a video for 20 minutes. Finally, dinner in the main dining room and a movie in the Aquatheater. We were able to view 5 total movies on the cruise(Solo, Avengers, Tomb Raider, 3D Black Panther, and Ready Player One).

Day 2 and 3: The next two day we spent exploring the ship. It is such a neat place and there is no way that you would ever be bored.

I have a few videos of the different areas:

Royal Promenade

Boardwalk

Flowrider

Ice Skating

Day 4: Day 4 we docked at the beautiful island of St. Martin. We used Bernard’s Tours after thoroughly researching how to best see the island. Our guide took us all around the island and we really got to know a lot about the history. While most of the island is still showing hurricane damage, it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

St. Martin

Day 5: Day 5 we docked at San Juan, Puerto Rico. At this stop, we walked around Old San Juan and visited a fort. We didn’t spend much time here, but it was another beautiful port. There was very little hurricane damage compared to St. Martin. If we go back, we will probably need to do a tour to get a better feel of the island.

San Juan

Day 6: Our last stop was Labidee, Haiti which is Royal Caribbean’s private resort. This is such a nice area. Lots of beaches and activities for everyone. We ate lunch at the picnic that is provided by RCl. Labadee Day 7: Day 7 was our last full day on the ship. We spent the day hanging out and having fun at the sports deck. For lunch, we ate at the Windjamer café and they had a special cake made for the last night of the cruise. That night we went to the main dining room for dinner. The dinner crew had a special dance party that night to thank us for cruising with them.

Day 8: On Day 8 we wanted to get off the boat early so we walked off with our luggage. Walking off with your luggage is easy and simple. The process only took about an hour and it was the best way to get off the boat fast. Overall, my family and I loved Oasis of the Seas. The food was great and there was so much to do onboard. The only negatives were the crowded elevators and the long lines getting on and off the boat.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...