Koningsdam Solo

Liz54

Considering going solo with friends in another cabin.  Not loving the single supplement however.  Looking for slight good news.  Can I take 2 bottles of wine aboard?  Will I get credit for two cruises?    Any insight?

I was solo on Koningsdam last summer and enjoyed it very much.   Unfortunately, you only get one bottle of wine as it is one per person, not two per room.   And, you only get credit for one cruise, unless you do a suite with the double cruise days.

Have you checked out the single cabins?   They have single cabins that are ocean view that are priced specifically for solo travelers.   I didn't book one as I found an inside with a single supplement to be more economical.  The inside was fine for me alone.  I wouldn't do it for more than one person as they are tiny.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I was solo on Koningsdam last summer and enjoyed it very much.   Unfortunately, you only get one bottle of wine as it is one per person, not two per room.   And, you only get credit for one cruise, unless you do a suite with the double cruise days.

Have you checked out the single cabins?   They have single cabins that are ocean view that are priced specifically for solo travelers.   I didn't book one as I found an inside with a single supplement to be more economical.  The inside was fine for me alone.  I wouldn't do it for more than one person as they are tiny.

Thanks!   Did not know about the solo cabins, but an inside across the hall from friends with a balcony will work best for me.  Sorry about cruise credits and wine!

1 hour ago, Liz54 said:

Thanks!   Did not know about the solo cabins, but an inside across the hall from friends with a balcony will work best for me.  Sorry about cruise credits and wine!

That's probably what I would do as well.   We did that for our nephew on Westerdam when he came with us to Alaska.  It works very well.

The single cabins, Liz, are one way to avoid the high surcharges for a single. I have been booked in those "OO" Cabins and have always been upgraded to a larger cabin at no charge.

Also, there are many sailings where the single suppliment is 35%-50%. Try looking at the crossings (atlantic and pacific) and the early and late sailings to Caribbean or Alaska.

I'm in the same boat. Going single in an interior cabin was cheaper that the solo cabins. The only thing going for the solo cabins are that they have a window... 

I understand that it costs the line just as much to clean/maintain a cabin for one as it does for two, but being penalized for being alone adds insult to injury... 

1 hour ago, hexdragon said:

I'm in the same boat. Going single in an interior cabin was cheaper that the solo cabins. The only thing going for the solo cabins are that they have a window... 

I understand that it costs the line just as much to clean/maintain a cabin for one as it does for two, but being penalized for being alone adds insult to injury... 

It is the cost of a room as opposed to the cost pp.  Hotels could price their rooms by person based on double occupancy (and some do) so it’s not so much being “penalized” as “that is what the room costs.”

1 hour ago, hexdragon said:

Yeah, logically I know that.

It's just that my friends are paying not much more than I for the two of them, and they have a better cabin... It just doesn't seem fair. But when has the world ever been fair.....

True, but a big consolation is that you won't have to share a bathroom!

2 hours ago, elycelynne said:

True, but a big consolation is that you won't have to share a bathroom!

If I could have DH back (he died in August 2017), I'd gladly share the bathroom and squeeze into a tiny cabin.  I'd be the happiest woman on earth.  I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to travel solo, so for all of you who do, this is to let you know how much I admire you.  Right now, I have family and friends who travel with me, but it isn't the same as being with DH.  Oh, the fun we had on HA cruises!

4 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

If I could have DH back (he died in August 2017), I'd gladly share the bathroom and squeeze into a tiny cabin.  I'd be the happiest woman on earth.  I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to travel solo, so for all of you who do, this is to let you know how much I admire you.  Right now, I have family and friends who travel with me, but it isn't the same as being with DH.  Oh, the fun we had on HA cruises!

BIG HUGS to you ♥️ sevenseasnomad ♥️ I am sorry for your loss.