2Oldpeopleinlove

Mistake booking second seating?

Hello. We are taking our first Cunard cruise in December 2019, a round trip transatlantic on Queen Mary 2. We've requested second seating for dinner, but I’m wondering whether I should try to change that. We are looking forward to dancing in the evening, and I’m sure there will be shows that interest us. When does the dancing usually happen? I've read here that shows for late seating people start at 10:30, which will feel pretty late to us. 

I booked second seating so we could enjoy afternoon tea, but now I wonder if it might get in the way of too much. Advice, please?

If dancing is a big part of your enjoyment, then I would suggest booking the early sitting. As for shows, there are two each evening to accommodate early and late diners. Go to the early show before dinner.  

1 hour ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Hello. We are taking our first Cunard cruise in December 2019, a round trip transatlantic on Queen Mary 2. We've requested second seating for dinner, but I’m wondering whether I should try to change that. We are looking forward to dancing in the evening, and I’m sure there will be shows that interest us. When does the dancing usually happen? I've read here that shows for late seating people start at 10:30, which will feel pretty late to us. 

I booked second seating so we could enjoy afternoon tea, but now I wonder if it might get in the way of too much. Advice, please?

Hi 2Oldpeopleinlove,

We love your Forum Name....Very Meaningful for Cruising as we to are Old People in Love.

We two enjoy early seating also to make us available for the early shows we look forward to seeing. One of the activities we look forward to while on board. 

If we are not interested in the show being offered that evening we like to head to the Queens Room which plays lounge music till the on board ship's orchestra starts about 930 - 945 (announced in the Daily Programme).

You will really enjoy dancing in the Queens Room which is very popular and maybe afterwards you may wish to head to the Up Beat G32 Disco right next door. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

Thank you for the excellent information. We are SO looking forward to this! It's far away, but we're so excited about it that it's eclipsed our UK visit this coming March!

6 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Thank you for the excellent information. We are SO looking forward to this! It's far away, but we're so excited about it that it's eclipsed our UK visit this coming March!

We too get excited once we book the sailing and count the days. It's 251 days as of this evening for us but can't wait till the days get closer after the New Years past..

BTW, we do understand after sailing on the QM2 many times about leaving time between Afternoon Tea Service and Evening Meal. The Afternoon Teas are sooo... good with their Tea, Assorted Sweets and of course Scones, Clotted Cream and Jam..But it's time to enjoy....Mangia! 

6 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Bear in mind that on the eastbound leg the clocks are advanced one hour at noon on 5 out of 7 sea-days.

That will have you eating lunch at 1300, tea at 1530, and dinner at 1800. That's three meals within six hours!

I found the late dinner suited me just fine, so I could enjoy the activities throughout the afternoon then have a relaxed pre-dinner period for napping, dressing and/or enjoying a drink.

7 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

Bear in mind that on the eastbound leg the clocks are advanced one hour at noon on 5 out of 7 sea-days.

That will have you eating lunch at 1300, tea at 1530, and dinner at 1800. That's three meals within six hours!

I found the late dinner suited me just fine, so I could enjoy the activities throughout the afternoon then have a relaxed pre-dinner period for napping, dressing and/or enjoying a drink.

True, unfortunately we have found over our past experience sailing that we stagger our Afternoon Teas over the period of days on board. If we enjoy two during a voyage that was satisfying enough for us. Too much of a good thing sometimes isn't as enjoyable as you would find it to be.

We find enjoying a earlier lunch gives us enough separation time for afternoon teas and activities to relax on our balcony before preparing for Dinner and the evening to come..

I believe everyone has an idea of what they wish to and want to accomplish.