elmsliebev

Cap'n Pugwash/Brooklyn pizza

Not strictly cruise related but I remember Cap'n Pugwash talking about a pizza place he used to go to in Brooklyn when he was doing TAs. Can anyone remember it please - we are going to NYC in Spring and wanted to go to Brooklyn. I've tried searching but nothing is coming up.

Many thanks

EB

This is not pizza, but if you decide to pass on the Verandah extra-cost floating steakhouse on board but might like to while away the afternoon at a real American steakhouse, the best in all of NYC is in Brooklyn, not too far from the cruise terminal -- Peter Luger's.

This just in (from a Brooklynite and uber-foodie of my acquaintance): "Grimaldi's is the classic place, under the Brooklyn Bridge, and widely considered one of the best pizza places in the City."

Speaking of Capn Pugwash...has anyone heard from him and how he is doing?  I miss his posts and reading his cruise blogs! 

Try Juliana’s - it’s Patsy Grimaldi’s new place and right next door to Grimaldi’s, his old place.  FYI - no wine or beer at Grimaldi’s but both are available at Juliana’s. 

BTW - Juliana’s is named for Patsy’s mother. 

Enjoy!

He's doing just fine. I'm in regular contact.

The Brooklyn restaurant where I've dined with Cap'n, is Queen Restaurant on Court Street. Good Italian food.

Stewart

Another pizza option near the Queen Mary 2's dock in Brooklyn is Marks Red Hook Pizza.  It's less than a five-minute from Pier 12 at 326 Van Brunt St, Brooklyn, NY 11231.   It has a 4.5 out of 5 review on Google.  Here is the menu:   https://marks.programceo.com/cdn/images/menu.pdf 

15 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

He's doing just fine. I'm in regular contact.

The Brooklyn restaurant where I've dined with Cap'n, is Queen Restaurant on Court Street. Good Italian food.

Stewart

Thank you Stewart for the update on Capn!  Is he still cruising Cunard and doing blogs?

He did blog on another site for a while, but not recently.

He's always also liked MSC and spends time in North America.

many thanks for the replies, we will definitely try pizza in Brooklyn. BigMac - next time you are in contact with Jim, please pass on our best wishes. We (Bev & Paul) met him on our honeymoon TA in April 2009. He was travelling with his son - Sam I think?