MSC Seaside Yacht Club - my honest review

2cruiseluvrs

Just now, Jdcmia68 said:

Excellent review.  We booked her too in the YC.    Question for someone.   Are the “upcharge” restaurants included in the YC fare?   Or are they charged separate?  We are totally new to MSC and use to the Haven on NCL (11 cruises on ncl) Sounds like YC is just a touch above Haven, but the Haven rooms include all the upcharge restaurants as well.   Is this the case on MSC?

No.  The restaurants are extra.   on NCL  we did get the unlimited dining package as a perk, but people who booked later than we did did not get unlimited only a few meals in specialty.   How long ago were you on NCL in the Haven?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdcmia68 said:

Question for someone.   Are the “upcharge” restaurants included in the YC fare?   Or are they charged separate?  We are totally new to MSC and use to the Haven on NCL (11 cruises on ncl) Sounds like YC is just a touch above Haven, but the Haven rooms include all the upcharge restaurants as well.   Is this the case on MSC?

1. Booking the Haven doesn't automatically include any specialty restaurants other than (usually) lunch at Margarittaville on embarkation day or meals in a specific specialty restaurant on ships that don't have a Haven restaurant. Haven bookings have the option of taking the SDP promo which is currently 3 meals on a 7 day cruise and Haven/suite guests are charged the 20% service charge on the retail price of the 3SDP. It was previously 4 meals for 7 days (no service charge) and before that was an unlimited number of uses (no service charge) for 7 days.

2. The specialty restaurants on MSC are not included in the Yacht Club and the specialty dining package (there is more than 1) is not included in the Yacht Club. You can always purchase a package or pay separately for any individual restaurant.

3. Drinks are included for Yacht Club guests throughout the ship. With NCL, the most common drink package is optional as a promo (with added service charge) just like the NCL dining package promo and also only applies to guests 1&2.

Many forum members have sailed both so if you have any other Haven vs. Yacht Club questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arizona Travelers said:

Great review, we are on the Seaside in the YC on Saturday!

Cherish every single second. Soak it up. Get full use out of the Lounge, Pool deck, room service, and Thermal Area! And don't even think about reality until 9 p.m. the night of disembarking! I'm so jealous!!!!! Have fun!

8 hours ago, DMH15 said:

No.  The restaurants are extra.   on NCL  we did get the unlimited dining package as a perk, but people who booked later than we did did not get unlimited only a few meals in specialty.   How long ago were you on NCL in the Haven?

We were on the Jade DOS and the Getaway OS in the Haven this year on ncl.  I know they changed the total amount “included” as you have to select it and it’s only 3 nights. But with our status we also got a certificate for Bistro and Cagneys.  So 5 nights were “included”.   I was just curious if we can on YC.   Many many very positive reviews.  Can’t  wait and of course the comparison while on board.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

1. Booking the Haven doesn't automatically include any specialty restaurants other than (usually) lunch at Margarittaville on embarkation day or meals in a specific specialty restaurant on ships that don't have a Haven restaurant. Haven bookings have the option of taking the SDP promo which is currently 3 meals on a 7 day cruise and Haven/suite guests are charged the 20% service charge on the retail price of the 3SDP. It was previously 4 meals for 7 days (no service charge) and before that was an unlimited number of uses (no service charge) for 7 days.

2. The specialty restaurants on MSC are not included in the Yacht Club and the specialty dining package (there is more than 1) is not included in the Yacht Club. You can always purchase a package or pay separately for any individual restaurant.

3. Drinks are included for Yacht Club guests throughout the ship. With NCL, the most common drink package is optional as a promo (with added service charge) just like the NCL dining package promo and also only applies to guests 1&2.

Many forum members have sailed both so if you have any other Haven vs. Yacht Club questions, feel free to ask.

We have been in the Haven on the Breakaway & YC on the Seaside & the YC blows the Haven away. The YC loinge is much larger & nicer, restaurant atmosphere nicer, menu changes everyday for lunch & dinner, YC pool area larger. I could go on & on. Also YC cheaper. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your review.  Especially enjoyed the detailed description of the arrival/check in process.  We will be sailing in the YC on the Seaside on the Christmas sailing.  Even more excited after reading your review!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hencoll said:

Thanks for sharing your review.  Especially enjoyed the detailed description of the arrival/check in process.  We will be sailing in the YC on the Seaside on the Christmas sailing.  Even more excited after reading your review!

HENCOLL,

We had a really late night flight that arrived super early in Miami. After waiting a dreaded 3 hours at the airport, we got anxious and just went to the port early... crossing our fingers to somehow board early. We got to the port around 9:45.

We were dependent upon the opening of the Yacht Club check-in, which might possibly open as late as 11 - though they started working with us at 10:30. Once inside the first building, we were then dependent upon Port Security, which did not start up the metal detectors until 11. 

So, my point being that you may need to have some patience depending on your time of arrival at the port. I can only assume that if you arrived at noon, you would be whisked straight through most of that with very little waiting. Once you get to the YC ticket check-in area, there may be more waiting than we had, but at least while you are in that room, you can drink champagne, eat chocolates, and talk with other YC guests!

Have fun, and Merry Christmas!!!!!

29 minutes ago, 2cruiseluvrs said:

HENCOLL,

We had a really late night flight that arrived super early in Miami. After waiting a dreaded 3 hours at the airport, we got anxious and just went to the port early... crossing our fingers to somehow board early. We got to the port around 9:45.

We were dependent upon the opening of the Yacht Club check-in, which might possibly open as late as 11 - though they started working with us at 10:30. Once inside the first building, we were then dependent upon Port Security, which did not start up the metal detectors until 11. 

So, my point being that you may need to have some patience depending on your time of arrival at the port. I can only assume that if you arrived at noon, you would be whisked straight through most of that with very little waiting. Once you get to the YC ticket check-in area, there may be more waiting than we had, but at least while you are in that room, you can drink champagne, eat chocolates, and talk with other YC guests!

Have fun, and Merry Christmas!!!!!

Thanks for the added information.  We are arriving into Miami the afternoon before our cruise.  Our 3 daughters are late sleepers so I don't expect us to get to the port until around noon or sometime after.  

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 1:37 AM, Jdcmia68 said:

Excellent review.  We booked her too in the YC.    Question for someone.   Are the “upcharge” restaurants included in the YC fare?   Or are they charged separate?  We are totally new to MSC and use to the Haven on NCL (11 cruises on ncl) Sounds like YC is just a touch above Haven, but the Haven rooms include all the upcharge restaurants as well.   Is this the case on MSC?

As others have said, no. However, you should apply for status match and with your NCL history you will get Black Card status which entitles you to 1 per cabin specialty restaurant....that is 1 only, even if your partner receives Black Status. We do not consider the charge for the specialty restaurants to be worth the price, unlike NCL where a package is excellent value. YC restaurant varies between v good and excellent but not as good as speciality.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hamrag said:

YC restaurant varies between v good and excellent but not as good as speciality.

HAMRAG, I have sailed 7 cruises, but have never been to a specialty restaurant on any ship. For some reason, I can't justify it when it has always seemed to me that the dining room food is plenty good. Plus, in the Yacht Club for the most part I would say it was fantastic, with good presentation. So in general, I am curious what really makes a specialty restaurant all that good?

11 hours ago, 2cruiseluvrs said:

HAMRAG, I have sailed 7 cruises, but have never been to a specialty restaurant on any ship. For some reason, I can't justify it when it has always seemed to me that the dining room food is plenty good. Plus, in the Yacht Club for the most part I would say it was fantastic, with good presentation. So in general, I am curious what really makes a specialty restaurant all that good?

2cruiseluvrs

That is an interesting question but, firstly, let's recall what you wrote in your own review in relation to YC restaurant. You did not say it was 'fantastic' for the most part as you now suggest!:

The two negatives of the dining room were that 1) they didn’t seem to listen well to what we wanted for wine. At least twice we asked for one wine, but were later offered another. We corrected them and they fixed it quickly, but for being in Yacht Club, that was kind of annoying. And 2) a pet peeve of mine is that I like dirty dishes to be removed very quickly. Often times, the dishes sat long enough that I had the chance to photograph them and even stack them all up … to make it look obvious that it was time for the dishes to GO. I would not say the Yacht Club restaurant was my favorite part of the Yacht Club experience......

We have sailed 44 cruises, across 12 cruiselines and to be fair at 7 cruises we had never thought about specialty restaurants! For us, they negate the niggling aspects of YC restaurant, some of which you mention. The service is truly exquisite, and there is no way that dirty crockery or anything like that will linger on the table. The quality of food and presentation, for us, is definitely up a notch from YC and wine service is second to none. On MSC we only use speciality for our free Black Card meal, and YC for every other meal as it is simply not worth the upcharge. Why pay more when the YC restaurant is very good....I would describe it as two thirds way between MDR and specialty.

As others have said, your review was comprehensive and honest.....thanks for taking the time to write.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great review!  Since you sailed with little people in YC, I’d be very curious to hear about their experience as well. We will be in YC with our two little (ahem) angels next year. Anything of note in the YC dining room or Lounge?  Did they use the kids club?  Were you able to get some adult time?

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 2:56 AM, rothsix said:

Great review!  Since you sailed with little people in YC, I’d be very curious to hear about their experience as well. We will be in YC with our two little (ahem) angels next year. Anything of note in the YC dining room or Lounge?  Did they use the kids club?  Were you able to get some adult time?

We will be travelling with our 4 grandangels(ahem) in 2020 and would love to know the same info.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:56 PM, rothsix said:

Hi RothSix,

All five of us had a great time. Our three kids ranged in age from toddler to young teen. They loved the Yacht Club so much and they are excited to go back in the summer 2019. I would have to say they liked the most:

1. Gelato! As much as they wanted.
  2. Room service pizza, cookies, etc.
  3. Snacks out of the mini bar in the room
  4. Eating the food in the Top Sail Lounge
  5. Spaciousness of our room
  6. Freedom to get kids drinks at the various bars, and hot chocolate at the chocolate bar
  7. Of course they loved the pools, slides, etc all in the general areas, too.

My kids are not the most tame, but they are also not terrors. Everything was always just fine in the lounge and in the restaurant. We NEVER felt that any part of it was uptight or uncomfortable or that we weren't being FANCY enough 😉

We all loved the restaurant food, and the selections were great for kids, too.

My two youngest DID use the kids club a few times. We put them there. My little one enjoyed the legos. My middle one says she was kind of bored in her kids area. And my oldest almost never went into the young teen area.

If you mean what I think you mean, yes, we got some adult time ONCE when we put them all in kids club 😉 Another time, we let them all three stay in the stateroom while we headed together to the Thermal Area. That mean that our oldest was fully responsible for the youngest, and that took a leap of faith.

I hope that helps!

Edited by 2cruiseluvrs

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your detailed review! We had originally booked two rooms through the Fantastica and decided today to switch to one  bigger room with Yacht club. Thanks to your review I am so excited! Sounds like it is going to be an amazing experience!

• Thanks 1