Cruise Critic Community
coffeebean

Go To First Unread Post - NEEDS FIXING

To the people who fix our new Cruise Critic website.........

The blue dot to the left of the thread title is for the feature, "Go to first unread post". I left a thread in the middle of page one. Went back to the thread by clicking on the blue dot which is to go to first unread post. The site brought me to the last post on the last page of the thread. This feature is not working properly and needs fixing.

Just looking at my first post (above) on this "new and improved" CC website. I realize that cute little picture next to my name in my signature does not show up anymore. Are the emoticons/icons not compatible with this website?

Just now, coffeebean said:

To the people who fix our new Cruise Critic website.........

The blue dot to the left of the thread title is for the feature, "Go to first unread post". I left a thread in the middle of page one. Went back to the thread by clicking on the blue dot which is to go to first unread post. The site brought me to the last post on the last page of the thread. This feature is not working properly and needs fixing.

I suspect the site figures you have read everything on a page it has sent. How would it know you stopped reading halfway through?

I use the browser back function to return to a previous position, when possible.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

I suspect the site figures you have read everything on a page it has sent. How would it know you stopped reading halfway through?

I use the browser back function to return to a previous position, when possible.

On most other forums, when you click on a thread title you've read previously, it takes you to the first unread post. It isn't doing that here, it is defaulting to the very last post on the last page. It needs to be fixed.

I use other sites which have this feature. They work like clockwork. Click on "Go to First Unread Post" and that is exactly what the sites do. No guess work as to where I left off reading the thread. It really is a wonderful feature when it works properly.

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Just looking at my first post (above) on this "new and improved" CC website. I realize that cute little picture next to my name in my signature does not show up anymore. Are the emoticons/icons not compatible with this website?

I'm on my mobile this morning and notice that the Emojis are shot as missing graphics. Thought it might be an issue with the mo I'll. Guess not.

1 minute ago, Half Pint said:

On most other forums, when you click on a thread title you've read previously, it takes you to the first unread post. It isn't doing that here, it is defaulting to the very last post on the last page. It needs to be fixed.

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

I use other sites which have this feature. They work like clockwork. Click on "Go to First Unread Post" and that is exactly what the sites do. No guess work as to where I left off reading the thread. It really is a wonderful feature when it works properly.

Again, how does the site detect that you have only read some of the unread posts on a page? 

Any site I have experience with has the same problem. It's why I use the browser back function to return to a previous position on a page.

I don't know how the feature works.....just that it does work on other sites. For example........I'm in the process of reading a very long thread (25 pages) on another forum. When I click on "Go to first unread post", it brings me exactly to where I left off. This is after I have shut down the computer and turned my computer back on.

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

I'm on my mobile this morning and notice that the Emojis are shot as missing graphics. Thought it might be an issue with the mo I'll. Guess not.

Again, how does the site detect that you have only read some of the unread posts on a page? 

Any site I have experience with has the same problem. It's why I use the browser back function to return to a previous position on a page.

It isn't my job to figure out how it works. But I know it does, on many other forums I belong to.

11 minutes ago, broberts said:

Why offer the feature of "Go to first unread post" if it is not doing what the feature says it will do. Hover your mouse over the blue dot to the left of the thread title. It says, "Go to first unread post". It actually brings me to the last post on the last page. This is not how this feature is supposed to work. As I said in my previous post, when I shut down my computer for the night, I expect to be able to come to this forum and click on the blue dot in a thread I didn't finish reading and "go to the first unread post'. That is not a difficult concept.

Seems to work for me, I like it

Pretty sure you'll have better luck in Forum Assistance.

Why are so many continuing to post these threads in the RCI section? 🤔

Edited by John&LaLa

Another thing about this "new and improved" forum I'm discovering.......I have "notifications" turned OFF in my settings but I'm still getting notifications each time someone quotes me or replies to a thread I started. How do I make the notifications stop?

As an addition, there isn't even a link to "first unread post" in the "Manage Followed Content" area.  Which is really annoying.

I know I've posted it before, but in case people are not paying attention.

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Seems to work for me, I like it

Really? The "Go to first unread post" feature works for you? Are you clicking on the blue dot to the left of the thread title?

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Really? The "Go to first unread post" feature works for you? Are you clicking on the blue dot to the left of the thread title?

Blue dot/star. Works perfect, but I may not have tried the use case described earlier.  If I did, I'd probably push through, finish the read and set the world right again. 😎

Edited by John&LaLa

I just now discovered there are more items in the notifications settings to turn off if you do not wish to have notifications. I was receiving an email every time someone responded to my thread or quoted me. My email was "blowing up" so to speak. Anyway......I turned OFF everything on the notifications page in settings. Hopefully, I will not be bombarded with emails every time someone responds to a post I made.

36 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure you'll have better luck in Forum Assistance.

Thank you so much for letting me know there is a Forum Assistance forum. I just now went on that forum and started a new thread including a link to this thread. Hope the techs can fix the problem.

40 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

As an addition, there isn't even a link to "first unread post" in the "Manage Followed Content" area.  Which is really annoying.

That is the thing that is bothering most with this new update. The second thing is still the slowness of loading pages.

I'm pretty sure the "go to last unread post" works with cookies that CC establish every time you log in.  If you stay logged in (even when you are not viewing their site), it retains your activity. 

If you have cookies turned off in your browser, or have cleaned out your history and cookies, then it will "lose" your bookmark cookie.  Check your browsers help files for how to manage cookies, as you can be site specific with them.

47 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is the thing that is bothering most with this new update. The second thing is still the slowness of loading pages.

In Manage Followed Content the key word is MANAGED. The form is intended for managing notifications and subscriptions, not for browsing content.

To browse unread posts in followed threads go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/followed-content/.

To browse unread new posts go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/.

On mobile, tap the newspaper button (3rd from right) on the blue page toolbar will navigate to ones default stream. I believe the default is Content I Follow. After tapping the button A button the All Activity will appear on the left side of the blue toolbar. 

On a desktop click on the Activity tab. Content I Follow is on the My Activity Streams sub-menu.

45 minutes ago, pcur said:

I'm pretty sure the "go to last unread post" works with cookies that CC establish every time you log in.  If you stay logged in (even when you are not viewing their site), it retains your activity. 

If you have cookies turned off in your browser, or have cleaned out your history and cookies, then it will "lose" your bookmark cookie.  Check your browsers help files for how to manage cookies, as you can be site specific with them.

Great advise. Thank you.

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I just now discovered there are more items in the notifications settings to turn off if you do not wish to have notifications. I was receiving an email every time someone responded to my thread or quoted me. My email was "blowing up" so to speak. Anyway......I turned OFF everything on the notifications page in settings. Hopefully, I will not be bombarded with emails every time someone responds to a post I made.

After you turn off everything on the notifications page settings, make sure that when you post, on the bottom left corner there is a switch "Notify me of Replies",  slide it to the "off" position. Otherwise, you'll turn on notifications for that thread.

44 minutes ago, broberts said:

In Manage Followed Content the key word is MANAGED. The form is intended for managing notifications and subscriptions, not for browsing content.

To browse unread posts in followed threads go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/followed-content/.

To browse unread new posts go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/.

On mobile, tap the newspaper button (3rd from right) on the blue page toolbar will navigate to ones default stream. I believe the default is Content I Follow. After tapping the button A button the All Activity will appear on the left side of the blue toolbar. 

On a desktop click on the Activity tab. Content I Follow is on the My Activity Streams sub-menu.

Thank you. It just seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be. For people either new to, or not quite so passionate about, Cruise Critic, are they really going to put the time into sorting all of this out or just move on to somewhere a bit for user friendly?

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thank you. It just seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be. For people either new to, or not quite so passionate about, Cruise Critic, are they really going to put the time into sorting all of this out or just move on to somewhere a bit for user friendly?

That would be my guess.