Go To First Unread Post - NEEDS FIXING

1 hour ago, broberts said:

In Manage Followed Content the key word is MANAGED. The form is intended for managing notifications and subscriptions, not for browsing content.

To browse unread posts in followed threads go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/followed-content/.

To browse unread new posts go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/.

On mobile, tap the newspaper button (3rd from right) on the blue page toolbar will navigate to ones default stream. I believe the default is Content I Follow. After tapping the button A button the All Activity will appear on the left side of the blue toolbar. 

On a desktop click on the Activity tab. Content I Follow is on the My Activity Streams sub-menu.

Not only is that more complicated and complex that it needs to be- it's just far too much.  All I want is one button that goes to the part that I have not yet read- not see the entire progress since I've been gone, including some brief notes of what each person posted.  If I wanted that, I can just look at the thread.

I'm sorry, but this is nuts.  And pretty much the opposite from easy to use and obvious.  

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thank you. It just seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be. For people either new to, or not quite so passionate about, Cruise Critic, are they really going to put the time into sorting all of this out or just move on to somewhere a bit for user friendly?

You are assuming that new users are going to bring all the baggage from the old site to their perception of the new. Quite the opposite. This site is user friendly, you just don't see it because you expect/want it to be the same as the old one (a site I did not find particularly intuitive or easy to use initially.)

• Like 1

Works fine for me. In fact it works better than before on this particular board, where the last post unread link would take me to posts randomly after the last read one - on other boards it would take me correctly to the last unread post.

I am thinking if you are reading thru the thread and then post, without reading to the end, and then click on the link to last unread, it takes you to the end. Maybe reading to the end before posting is a good idea anyway??

It was not working at first but it seems to work fine now. Brings me to the last post read. Not just last page. Since I often use a tablet I wish the jump to top of page button would come back. I'll be patient though. They seem to making improvements.

12 hours ago, broberts said:

You are assuming that new users are going to bring all the baggage from the old site to their perception of the new. Quite the opposite. This site is user friendly, you just don't see it because you expect/want it to be the same as the old one (a site I did not find particularly intuitive or easy to use initially.)

I think most expect that the sites will operate in very similar ways.

On the old site, I had once click when I enter the page, and I saw both the threads that I was following if they had an update AND the forums if they had any new threads.  

On the new site, I have a few places where I can find the new postings on threads I follow- and somehow managed to put together a setting to follow individual threads.  But I still have to do multiple clicks to find the forums that I follow.

If you can tell me that there's a way to put both the threads and forums I follow one one single page, then I would agree that there's the same functionality.  But at the moment, I don't see how that can be possible.  To the point I realized this morning that I didn't even look at the other forums that I was looking at on the old page.  oops.

You call it baggage, I call if functionality.  In the end, the traffic will decide if the change was good or bad.  I certainly see my traffic to be down.

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The last read post means that it will take you to the last post that was available the last time that you visited the thread, not the last post you actually may have read.

if you visit a thread and don’t read through to the end of the current posts then it won’t work.

Actually for me it does bring  me to posts that were already there if I stop reading mid thread. It brings me to the following page even if that page was available last time I read the thread. For example I just clicked on page 3 of the live Harmony review. I backed out and then clicked on the dot which brought me to page 4 of the 8 page thread. Even though page 4 is from Saturday.