9:45 am flight out of Miami. Doable??

frak

6 minutes ago, frak said:

Port of Miami to MIA 9:45 am flight. Can I make it??

There is a slight chance that you may make it.  You would have to be first off the ship.  Your flight leaves at 9:45 but you have to check in at least 30 minutes before that. You don't specify which airline and which day of the week but if it's American, there is always a line to check in at MIA.  I wouldn't put money on you making a 9:45am flight.  I'm sure some people have made earlier flights but MIA is very busy all days of the week and any hour of the day since it is a major hub for American Airlines.

For a 9:45 flight you need to be at MIA by about 8:15 or so - TSA lines there are maddening.  With the taxi ride taking at least 15+ minutes (weekend or weekday? :classic_unsure:) that translates into off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/Immigration before 8:00.

Can you make it - maybe, if everything lines up correctly.  Do you want to spend your cruise worried about catching your flight home?  Do yourself a favor and find a flight leaving at 11:00 or later - then sleep in, enjoy breakfast in the MDR, and relax. :classic_cool:

Depends what time your ship starts disembarkation.  If it's 7AM... then I think 9:45 is pretty easily doable with self-disembark in the first groups.  However, any delays and you are at an uncomfortably increased risk of missing that flight.  It depends on your personality and if you get anxiety, and how comfortable you would be if you missed the flight and had to take another flight.  Everyone has a different personality, only you know.

But the question is - "is it doable?" - and yes, it's absolutely doable if you have a ship with a 7AM disembarkation (some ships start 8AM+).  Getting to the airport by 8AM with self-disembark on an early arriving ship is pretty easy to do.  I have friends who do this all the time off Carnival and she'll text me that she's sitting at her gate at 7:30AM.

It's not recommended, but sometimes you can't just book the 11AM flight... because you know, there probably isn't an 11AM flight which is why you are asking about a 9:45AM flight.

Edited by BNBR

17 hours ago, frak said:

Thanks all. I’ll leave later. It is the only nonstop for me and on American.

Good choice!  

If you were flying during the week, the traffic on either the 836 or the 112 into the MIA gets very backed up as people commute into Coral Gables.

American is a huge terminal and without TSA, the lines can be horrible. Plus, you may have to take a train to your gate.  Not something that is that easy.

I fly frequently in and out of MIA and can see the cruise ships at Port Miami from my sofa.  Even knowing the terminal like the back of my hand, having Global Entry so use TSA pre-check and rushing, I've never been able to get from my place to my gate within 30 minutes no matter what day it is as the other poster had suggested.  And I don't have to line up to get of a cruise ship and go through customs, grab a taxi and get to the gate. Trust me, I tried when my daughter was in labor and I had to get to JAX to be in the delivery room!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS