QM2 TA advice needed.

Lanky Lad

Although I have been on QM2 a few time, I will be doing my first b2b  TA on her  in November.

A few questions for the experts.

Where is the best place to just sit and watch the sea? 

Is the Queens Room open during the day or only when there is something on?

Are there any secrets I might have missed, that is not well advertised?  (Lunch in the Gold Lion on embarkation day, I already know about.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Although I have been on QM2 a few time, I will be doing my first b2b  TA on her  in November.

A few questions for the experts.

Is the Queens Room open during the day or only when there is something on?

Are there any secrets I might have missed, that is not well advertised?  (Lunch in the Gold Lion on embarkation day, I already know about.)

[need to see how to do interspersed replies on this forum]

If the relative wind permits, just sitting on the promenade deck is nice - the deck 8 'terrace' is often sheltered, but has the disadvantage of being one of the designated smoking areas. 

The queens room seems to be open all the time - you can be a spectator for the dance lessons and other activities schedule there - I don't  know if the chase folks out when setting up for Tea

For viewing the sea, certainly the Commodore Club, which is often quite empty during the day.  We like to gaze out the windows from the Grills Lounge, although there are usually folks walking by on the promenade.

Secrets?  Wow, that's a challenge.  I would say play darts in the Lion Pub at any time, especially the evenings.  Take an acting lesson, if they are available.  Keep on top of the lecture schedule.  Walk  out on deck late at night, especially on the back decks to look at the wake.

To sit close to the sea try the area of the ship (sorry can't remember exactly which deck it is) on the way to the Planetarium.  If the sea is rough the waves will be washing over the windows. For an overall view of the sea I would agree with the others, the Commodore Club.

Don't forget the Bridge viewing area, deck 12 I think,  always fascinating to watch so few people apparently quite casually guiding the ship through the water.

Edited by babs135

Atlantic room Deck 11 when no Bridge Games going on. Also outside Deck 11 forward on Observation deck, weather permitting, if doors open. Teas/ (Best Normal Coffee  Machine ) down by Connexions Deck 2 forward. Also Deck 2 by pre voyage sales, watch the sea pound the windows when rough.,

Edited by Pennbank

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

The Carinthia Lounge is the best place for a light lunch when there isn't enough time between second breakfast and tea.

I will be on the same westbound crossing and it's starting to get really exiting now!

Is the Carinthia lunch a good alternative to Kings Court? We are planning to do it wisely this time and try to keep the lunch as light as possible to leave room for tea and dinner.

The Champagne Bar is a nice place to enjoy a drink before or after dinner. It's usually more or less empty and the staff is happy to serve your favorite drink from the Chart Room bar. The music from Chart Room can be enjoyed at a volume which makes conversation also possible.

20 minutes ago, FennoExpress said:

Is the Carinthia lunch a good alternative to Kings Court? 

The menu is much more limited, with little to no variation day-to-day. But if you just want a bite rather than a full lunch I'd recommend it every couple of days.

20 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Favourite lookout points:

- I quite enjoyed the centre seat in the library, relaxing with a book and looking dead ahead.

- Also the relaxation lounge in the spa on the starboard side.

- Late at night I was disappointed to find the upper decks and aft decks lit up and rendering the sky almost invisible, but the open (forward) observation deck on Deck 11 was ideal since it is blacked out for the watchkeepers. Felt a lot like standing a navigation watch back when my older ships had open bridgewings.

- Somebody mentioned the observation windows looking into the wheelhouse. Amongst all the plaques and other commemorative items posted in this alleyway, I was surprised to find a letter on Canadian Coast Guard letterhead from a colleague of mine, thanking the QM2 for assisting in a SAR case in Canadian waters. For me that was a nicer "easter egg" than finding an embossed Homer Simpson.

- Also my own balcony in 12-001 provided an awesome view as well as the sounds and smells of the seas below. Many nights I slept with the balcony doors open (first ensuring no loose papers etc. in case the wind came up). And as the forwardmost cabin, I also had an interesting view into the stbd bridgewing.

Secrets:

- I'm guessing you know (contrary to Cunard's published policy) that you can take your own drinks onboard, for consuming in your own cabin or with a corkage fee in the MDR. I took a soft-sided cooler with two bottles of wine and a bottle of port, padded by several 710mL soft drinks and some bottled water and snacks. Reckon I saved about $150 compared with on-board prices, besides ensuring I had my own preferred choices (which otherwise were not all available on board).

- to accommodate my own supplies (and to avoid being inadvertently charged for any items) I requested that my cabin steward empty out the fridge on the first day. I made sure to tip him mid-week (on each voyage) to ensure he knew I appreciated his efforts, prior to my departure.

- After closing down the bars, I found that wandering the empty ship late at night was a pleasant pastime. I confess to occasionally snipping off a small flower from the floral arrangements to use as a fresh boutonnière the next day. As a mere Britannia fare passenger, it was also an opportunity to view the Queen/Princess Grill areas that are off-limits while in use. I only wish that the pools had been open at those hours for a latenight swim.

- It never hurts to ask about "off-menu" items in the MDR. I had a tablemate who was quite particular in her preferences, but the galley staff were able to accommodate many of her requests. To be fair though, some advance notice would have been more courteous. Similarly in the gift shop I saw that the commemorative embroidered Trans-Atlantic hoodies had disappeared from the racks, but upon enquiring they found one for me in a back room.

- I found the later dining hour ideal for the eastbound voyage, when the clocks were advanced one hour at noon (thus shortening the afternoons. I used the 1800-2030 period for a nap, to dress for dinner, or to enjoy a pre-dinner drink. I also found that the launderette was only in light use at this time, which was ideal for some light laundry or for ironing a shirt for dinner.

- When I enquired about self-disembarking (since my car was parked on the wharf in Brooklyn) the infodesk agent offered instead to give me some priority departure tags for my bags, which simplified matters and got me ashore nice and early.

- While alongside in Brooklyn, if your plans don't take you far afield, then a visit to Governor's Island is close nearby and would provide the optimum location for photographing the ship. And if you need supplies for the return voyage then the City Point Shopping Centre at 445 Albee St in Brooklyn is a mere 2.6 miles away, and it includes a Target Store, a Century 21 discount fashion, and a Trader Joe's for grocery needs. Also several Whole Foods Markets within walking distance of "downtown" Brooklyn.

Just a few thoughts for consideration. I'm sure that every passenger will have their own preferences.

PJ

20180926_496 spa day sm.jpg

IMG_2166 library sm.jpg

20180910_346 Deck 11 stbd sm.jpg

Balcony moon.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VintageCCG said:

Late at night I was disappointed to find the upper decks and aft decks lit up and rendering the sky almost invisible, but the open (forward) observation deck on Deck 11 was ideal since it is blacked out for the watchkeepers. Felt a lot like standing a navigation watch back when my older ships had open bridgewings.

I've had my best luck on deck 7 forward of the bridge (by the "Commodore's cufflinks"). They keep that area dark to accommodate the night vision of the bridge watchstanders. The area should be accessible unless weather forces them to close it.

2 hours ago, FennoExpress said:

I will be on the same westbound crossing and it's starting to get really exiting now!

Is the Carinthia lunch a good alternative to Kings Court? We are planning to do it wisely this time and try to keep the lunch as light as possible to leave room for tea and dinner.

The Champagne Bar is a nice place to enjoy a drink before or after dinner. It's usually more or less empty and the staff is happy to serve your favorite drink from the Chart Room bar. The music from Chart Room can be enjoyed at a volume which makes conversation also possible.

The Carinthia is a much, much nicer space than Kings Court.  Prettier design, better furniture, and much calmer.

at the extreme sides of the Commodore there are little 'crannies' with a few chairs ... windows look forward and to the side ... you are away from the 'traffic pattern' ut near the bar for libation .... became a favorite reading hideout during the day ....

100_0094.JPG

100_0091.JPG

100_0095.JPG

On 10/24/2018 at 7:52 AM, Underwatr said:

I've had my best luck on deck 7 forward of the bridge (by the "Commodore's cufflinks"). They keep that area dark to accommodate the night vision of the bridge watchstanders. The area should be accessible unless weather forces them to close it.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:44 AM, VintageCCG said:

- Late at night I was disappointed to find the upper decks and aft decks lit up and rendering the sky almost invisible, but the open (forward) observation deck on Deck 11 was ideal since it is blacked out for the watchkeepers. Felt a lot like standing a navigation watch back when my older ships had open bridgewings.

Both excellent recommendations. 

There was one beautifully clear evening with the moon behind us and the stars shining brightly on my Eastbound crossing in May. I could have stayed out there all night.

• 1 month later...
  1. I did find that the window seats in the library are very popular, but we also managed to get a nice seat with a view in the Commodore Club. 
  2. The games tables on deck 2 get very busy often with people not paying.  We had our daily Scrabble game before 9am.
  3. Don't play Scrabble on the starboard side where people queue for planetarium tickets unless you want an audience. 
  4. On the Eastbound crossing the clocks go forward at lunchtime.  This makes it tricky to have lunch and afternoon tea.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to have become addicted to TA's.  I was already booked for three weeks (going via Iceland and Canada) in 2019 and now I have booked a b2b TA for 2020. 

Cruises are great, but I can do two weeks on QM2 or one week on QV to Norway for the same price.  A 12 night trip on QV to the med would cost more for an inside cabin than I am paying for a balcony.  TA's really are great value.  

On 10/23/2018 at 10:43 AM, ged1967 said:

Find Homer Simpson...... he’s onboard...... it’s not a secret but not everyone’s knows where to find him 😏

Hi, 

I have sailed on the QM2 six times since 2004 and always take a picture of Homer Simpson. Unfortunately, he seems to have faded a bit over the years. I think a lot of people have touched him. I am booked on the QM2 for a crossing in late April 2019. I look forward to seeing Homer again.

Chuck