Upgrading to Aft Balcony Escape

maggie1968

Can anyone tell me the bidding range for an aft balcony on Escape Oct 28th?  I am in a balcony so I wasn't able to bid on an aft but was given a price of $913.39 to upgrade, wondering how that compares to bidding range.  There are several of these left.  Thank you!

They recently broke spa balconies and mini-suites out into their own categories for bidding, but aft balconies, large balconies, and mini-suites with large balconies are all still lumped in with other staterooms in their meta. It would be nice if they would let you bid on all of the individual categories like they do for Havens.

6 minutes ago, maggie1968 said:

Yes, I agree Jamie.  Now to decide if the extra 900 bucks is worth it...augh...we had an aft 2 years ago for our honeymoon on the Breakaway....so nice!

If you do a mock booking, what is the price difference in what you paid for and the aft balcony? That may be a guide..

12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It would be nice if they would let you bid on all of the individual categories like they do for Havens.

It would be nicer if people would book what they really want instead of worrying about the bid process. We read about the success stories but for every successful bid, there are countless people who end up disappointed.

It's probably just the way that I am. I know what I want and book what I want. The idea of booking something, blindly bidding for something better, then even if my bid wins, getting assigned to whatever stateroom NCL has available in the category just seems strange to me. <rant over>.

31 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It would be nicer if people would book what they really want instead of worrying about the bid process. We read about the success stories but for every successful bid, there are countless people who end up disappointed.

It's probably just the way that I am. I know what I want and book what I want. The idea of booking something, blindly bidding for something better, then even if my bid wins, getting assigned to whatever stateroom NCL has available in the category just seems strange to me. <rant over>.

Well, the nice thing is, you don't have to participate in the bidding process if you don't want to. I book a room I will be perfectly happy with. And then I bid what I am comfortable bidding on any categories that appeal to me. If I win, I am thrilled for the upgrade at a cheaper price than what I would have paid outright. If I lose, I am thrilled to have my original room and some extra spending money for the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's optional.  If you're not interested, cool.  But I don't think many people book a lower category than they'd be happy with, counting on winning the bidding game, because that's setting them up for disappointment.

4 hours ago, maggie1968 said:

Can anyone tell me the bidding range for an aft balcony on Escape Oct 28th?  I am in a balcony so I wasn't able to bid on an aft but was given a price of $913.39 to upgrade, wondering how that compares to bidding range.  There are several of these left.  Thank you!

Sailing date and ship?

24 minutes ago, maggie1968 said:

Funny..was that a test to see if I would answer you???  I almost did!!!!

Nope, not a test. I was interested in the details.  But you don't have to answer if you don't want to give it away.  Just tell me in pig latin....

Edited by Mike_DeA

Ohhhh, so it is, how did I miss that...  my apologies.

NCL.com is showing an aft balcony at $1,229+pp right now vs. a regular balcony (non-sail away rate) starting at $979+pp, so the upgrade price they quoted seems high.  I guess it's tied to what you paid though.  I'd try calling them again today every day and see if it changes.

The sail away rates starting at $399+ inside and $599+ balcony are very tempting.  Wish I had more time off.  I'll be on the Escape two weeks after.

Yeah...I thought it was a little high too and we did get a great initial rate for current cabin so they are probably trying to make up the money :).  We decided just to sit tight with our current upgrade bids and we will be happy either way.  Yes the sail away rates must be very tempting for you...enjoy your trip in a few weeks though!!!!