Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kynana

HAL Mariner Wine Packages Are No More?

Recommended Posts

On 10/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

It wouldn't surprise me if HAL stopped the discounts. 

 

HAL starts all these new perks and then takes them away.

 

KK,  as requested in my Post # 142 above,  "Please elaborate - other than (allegedly) cancelling the wine package discount, what other Mariner "perks" has HAL started and then taken away?"  Inquiring minds want to know. TYIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were told that when we disembarked from the Voyage of the Vikings on the Rotterdam, August 25, the singers and dancers would be leaving as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are three stars and just off the Koningsdam today. I prepurchased the 8 bottle Cellar No.1 package, two dinners in the Pinnacle and two dinners in the Tamarind.

 

On day two, my discounts on the dinners appeared, but not the wine package discount. On day three I went to the front desk and inquired about the discount. She said the discount would show once we finished our last bottle, which I told her made absolutely no sense.

 

The next day I went to the front desk again. The lady I spoke with disappeared behind closed doors to ask the manager. She reappeared and said they were going to speak to the head wine steward and call us with an answer. We never received a call. The next day we went and asked again and were told the discount should show within 24 hours. On day eight the discount finally showed. 

 

Would the discount have appeared with with our visits to the front desk? Maybe, but who knows. Just thought I would share my experience since I’ve followed this post from the beginning knowing I would soon have first hand experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 510picker said:

We are three stars and just off the Koningsdam today. I prepurchased the 8 bottle Cellar No.1 package, two dinners in the Pinnacle and two dinners in the Tamarind.

 

On day two, my discounts on the dinners appeared, but not the wine package discount. On day three I went to the front desk and inquired about the discount. She said the discount would show once we finished our last bottle, which I told her made absolutely no sense.

 

The next day I went to the front desk again. The lady I spoke with disappeared behind closed doors to ask the manager. She reappeared and said they were going to speak to the head wine steward and call us with an answer. We never received a call. The next day we went and asked again and were told the discount should show within 24 hours. On day eight the discount finally showed. 

 

Would the discount have appeared with with our visits to the front desk? Maybe, but who knows. Just thought I would share my experience since I’ve followed this post from the beginning knowing I would soon have first hand experience. 

 

YIKES!  I hate when this stuff happens.  It's like you have to fight for you benefits 😞

 

Your discount should have showed by day 2 at the latest on your statement.

 

sorry to hear this happened to you and glad you got it fixed, but working to get what you should have never makes a vacation fun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Kynana said:

We are just off the Rotterdam. We had a wonderful 21 days. Nothing is perfect, of course. The entertainment quality has gone down, and there was no ship singers and dancers group.

A number of ocean view rooms have moisture inside the glass which makes viewing the outside clearly a problem. Our stateroom (1836 on Dolphin) had one cloudy window. If you have an ocean view room booked on the Rotterdam, you might want to check on that. 

I am attaching the wine package info that was in our room. On the back it says "3 Star and above Mariner Loyalty discounts apply." We received our 50% discount, but since we purchased the package before the cruise, we had to ask for it. Also note that it also says a 15% service charge is applied to all beverage purchases, so that price you see for each package will be 15% more. 

I have a feeling that changes are coming, but just what they are remains a mystery.  Any other questions, feel free to ask. 

 

IMG_8449.JPG

IMG_8450.jpg

 

Thanks for posting this since we board the Volendam in a little over a week.  We are 3 star and have never purchased a wine package before but are considering it for this upcoming cruise.  Wondering if you could clarify - do the prices that show at the top of each Cellar package already include the "up to 25% discount"?  (and btw, I thought it was 25% for 3 star and 50% for 4-5 star, so what does "up to 25%" mean?) 

 

Also, if we're sailing out of San Diego, do you (or anyone else who's reading this) know if we need to wait to order until we're in International water to avoid any additional tax?

 

Thx!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the "up to 25% discount" refers to the savings realized by buying the package as opposed to buying individual bottles of wine. The actual savings probably depends on which bottles you choose from the package. The 3 and 4-5 star discounts should be 25 and 50% off the prices listed for Cellars 1, 2, and 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The discounts do not show up as 25% or 50% since the 15% percent service charge is then added on.   From experience, the 15% is calculated on the full package price.

Edited by bakcd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our recent Koningsdam cruise the wine package charge took quite a while to be posted to our account. However when it finally appeared it also showed the 50% discount.

No problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 8:47 AM, frankc98376 said:

I like the Chilean Del Toro Cab and the Danzante Pinot Grigio

We were told on our last cruise that Toro Del Pietra will no longer be offered with he new package. It was one of our favorites. They were always running out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Storylady said:

We were told on our last cruise that Toro Del Pietra will no longer be offered with he new package. It was one of our favorites. They were always running out.

Now they will be out permanently.  The owner/winemaker of that vineyard passed away last Spring.  The family apparently decided to sell the property.  One would assume it will still be a winery, but under different ownership and with a new winemaker.  

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Storylady said:

We were told on our last cruise that Toro Del Pietra will no longer be offered ...

 

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Now they will be out permanently.  The owner/winemaker of that vineyard passed away last Spring.  The family apparently decided to sell the property.  One would assume it will still be a winery, but under different ownership and with a new winemaker.  

Hank

 

Hank, any suggestions for a wine to replace Toro Del Pietra as a pairing with Pacific Northwest Slugs With Garlic & Herbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read many postings concerning this subject and have not found a definitive answer to my question. I apologize to those who may want to chastise me for asking again.   We have an upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.   I plan on purchasing a 4 bottle wine package for dining room consumption.  Am I allowed to bring on board two additional bottles for consumption in my cabin without incurring any fees?

 

Thanks in advance for your response.😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robb said:

I have read many postings concerning this subject and have not found a definitive answer to my question. I apologize to those who may want to chastise me for asking again.   We have an upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.   I plan on purchasing a 4 bottle wine package for dining room consumption.  Am I allowed to bring on board two additional bottles for consumption in my cabin without incurring any fees?

 

Thanks in advance for your response.😄

 

Yes, no problem.  In fact, you can bring as many additional bottles as you like but you’ll only pay corkage on the ones over and above the one bottle/pp allowance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience: If you buy your wine package before embarkation it can take a visit to Guest service to claim the Mariner reduction. If you order the package on board however, the costs appear on your statement after ordering the last (4, 6 or 8th) bottle or just before that moment (and in our experience always correct including the Mariner %).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike the new 4 minimum package.  Prefer the 3 minimum - works better for my 7 days cruise.  HAL loses out in my case as I do not get the 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I dislike the new 4 minimum package.  Prefer the 3 minimum - works better for my 7 days cruise.  HAL loses out in my case as I do not get the 4.

 

It works good for us.......3 red for me and 1 white for DW 😁🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...