Carnival Liberty - Muster Drill Nightmare

Salem615

21 hours ago, Treyatl2006 said:

I agree with the OP. I hate outdoor muster drills. It's already 90 plus degrees and you add 100 people to that and its misery. Its especially true when you've eaten and had alcohol. I felt light headed once during an outdoor muster. I got to the muster station early and stood up waiting because people took their time getting to the muster station. 

I dont even understand why the Liberty even have muster stations outside. That ship should have enough areas and venues to support all muster stations inside. You have the theater, ocean plaza, all main dinning rooms, night clubs, comedy club, piano bar, lido buffet area... 

My last cruise on the Magic had their Muster drill 100% inside.

Just an FYI, Liberty doesn’t have an ocean plaza. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Crusin Hogs said:

Cruise on The Dream ,Magic, Breeze , Vista ,Horizon   , the muster  is done inside  while seated on all of these ships .Only the older ,smaller Carnival ships still do them outside  

We were just  on the Fascination which is one of Carnival's smaller and older ships.  The muster was inside in the theatre. 

• Thanks 1

All cruises on RC have been done inside.

MSC was inside.

All Carnival have been outside and pathetically disorganized.

The should just start it on time and anyone that isnt there on time gets pulled away before dinner starts the first night for a group drill and fine them accordingly for the inconvenience to the crew.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, Purvis1231 said:

Is it really that hot in October? I think this lady may have some other medical problem that caused her fainting. 

We live in Cape Canaveral just a few miles from the port. The first three weeks of October, high temps were in the high 80s most days. We had a cold front come through this weekend and it was only in the 70s today - beautiful day! But when you're in close quarters with a crowd of people and no air moving, it can feel even hotter.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:49 PM, Crusin Hogs said:

Cruise on The Dream ,Magic, Breeze , Vista ,Horizon   , the muster  is done inside  while seated on all of these ships .Only the older ,smaller Carnival ships still do them outside  

Fantasy class ships are the oldest around. The last two times I have sailed on Paradise we stayed inside the front theater for the entire safety briefing.  Prior to that, we had been on Paradise where we started the safety briefing in the theater and then had to walk outside to where the lifeboats where located. 

Conquest class ships are larger and newer than Fantasy class ships. However, every cruise I have done on a Conquest class ship included standing outside for the safety briefing. 

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Fantasy class ships are the oldest around. The last two times I have sailed on Paradise we stayed inside the front theater for the entire safety briefing.  Prior to that, we had been on Paradise where we started the safety briefing in the theater and then had to walk outside to where the lifeboats where located. 

Conquest class ships are larger and newer than Fantasy class ships. However, every cruise I have done on a Conquest class ship included standing outside for the safety briefing. 

The ships I listed above are  Dream Class and Vista Class  , Both class's  are larger than The Conquest class 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, Purvis1231 said:

Is it really that hot in October? I think this lady may have some other medical problem that caused her fainting. 

Yes it was really hot in October. It was a good 90 degrees the day we sailed. I have never fainted before and I am used to hot weather. We travel to Florida quite often and visited Hawaii this year. I have seen my doctor and I have no underlying issues. Simple fact  - it was way too hot and way too many people clustered in a small space for too long. 

On 10/27/2018 at 9:23 PM, Havingfun2010 said:

I don’t understand the complaints.  Muster is to save lives so take it seriously and stop complaining about it. Plus if it’s too hot than sail in January 

I don't understand this statement.  I do take safety seriously. I get muster is important. Unfortunately I see a lot of people not take it seriously and a lot of people who have enjoyed the bar too much before muster. Being squashed in like sardines and not being able to hear what is being said the whole drill becomes pointless. There has to be a better way. 

As for January - I don't have that option. 

Edited by Salem615

People stand up in the heat all the time, and this happens millions of times in the Southern States.  The heat, can contribute to being uncomfortable, but fainting is caused by the pooling of blood, in lower parts of body, causing additional stresses.  If you feel faint in the heat, than you need to sit.  Not necessarily in a cool place, that just makes you feel better.  You can faint inside just as well if you are standing. 

To make muster more pleasant, will not require a change in process.  It will require a change in "RESPECT" by the other passengers.  Imagine if everyone will do what they are suppose to do?  Show up, keep mouth closed, listen, and than after the drill, go back to being a party animal. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Salem615 said:

Yes it was really hot in October. It was a good 90 degrees the day we sailed. I have never fainted before and I am used to hot weather. We travel to Florida quite often and visited Hawaii this year. I have seen my doctor and I have no underlying issues. Simple fact  - it was way too hot and way too many people clustered in a small space for too long. 

I don't understand this statement.  I do take safety seriously. I get muster is important. Unfortunately I see a lot of people not take it seriously and a lot of people who have enjoyed the bar too much before muster. Being squashed in like sardines and not being able to hear what is being said the whole drill becomes pointless. There has to be a better way. 

As for January - I don't have that option. 

Contrary to what some people have mentioned in this thread, heat can cause fainting.  One of the common causes of fainting is dehydration, which can result from exposure to heat.  Having said that, passengers need to take responsibility for their own actions.  Alcohol is well known to dehydrate people.  Everyone reacts differently to alcohol, but even 1-2 drinks can be enough to lead to dehydration. So anyone who has a drink or two before going to an outside muster drill has no one to blame but themselves if they end up fainting.  Keep in mind tens of thousands of passengers attend outdoor muster drills every week. Only a fraction of a percentage point of these passengers end up fainting. In almost every case, these passengers drank alcohol prior to the briefing. 

I dont think people are complaining about doing the muster drill... I think people are saying that it could be more effectively done. I've been on ships where it was 100% in side and I've been on ships where we were outside in the blazing hot sun, packed in with 60 people in our section, you cant move, you cant stretch. People are late. You cant hear the guide because of the surrounding outside noise and people are complaining about how hot it is.

I've also been in muster drills that were 100% inside. Everyone was calm, it was cool, and the Cruise Director did the drill over the PA. The staff/guides did the demonstrations in front of your group as the CD spoke on the PA. We were able to hear the directions. We actually enjoyed it since the CD threw in some jokes in between. It was more effective. I actually knew what to do or where to go during an emergency. The drill was more effective.

• Like 1

Having been on both ends of the muster drills - as a passenger & as a crewmember - I agree that it is one of the low points of a cruise as far as fun is concerned.  But, it is important and should be treated that way - and most of us can testify that it is not treated the way it should be.  Last week on the Glory, we were standing outside in incredible heat while crew members kept calling out the names of 4-5 passengers who evidently thought they were special - and this was in our Muster Station only - no telling how many others were special. 

I would love to see the cruise lines institute a policy that advises any passengers who are more than 5 minutes late that they will be fined $50.  Making them go to a special muster drill is not a punishment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the other hand I have nothing but praise for the crew on Liberty this past week. Two days before our sailing we found our selves considering canceling our cruise due to my wife after mobility issues. We called Carnival they told us to bring bring the wheelchair. Help was everywhere for us. When we arrived at our muster station, we were taken inside to the Golden Olympian dining room where the special need station was located.

Edited by flczr
Completion

On 10/28/2018 at 6:27 PM, robc1972 said:

MSC was inside.

The should just start it on time and anyone that isnt there on time gets pulled away before dinner starts the first night for a group drill and fine them accordingly for the inconvenience to the crew.

Not for us on the Adventure of the Seas.  It was held outside in the hot San Juan sun.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:29 AM, Havingfun2010 said:

You can faint inside just as well if you are standing. 

Yes, yes you can.

Says the girl who fainted at least twice during choir concerts in high school because I made the mistake of locking my knees and twice (in front of customers no less) at work while pregnant.

On 10/24/2018 at 3:02 PM, kellycambp said:

You can also request to attend the disabled muster drill. My husband has a heart condition and didn’t feel comfortable standing outside for a long time in the heat. They held the disabled muster in the dining room.

Great tip, thanks. We will contact special needs before going just so we are more comfortable now for the muster drill.  

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, jkneern said:

Carnival has been noted to have the worst and most unorganized muster drills.  Just to add all cruiselines DO NOT have their drills outside. 

Some Carnival ships do not have outdoor muster drills, They are help in lounges and are called "safety briefings." IT all depends on what the law says.

On 10/23/2018 at 4:27 PM, jkneern said:

Carnival has been noted to have the worst and most unorganized muster drills.  Just to add all cruiselines DO NOT have their drills outside. 

It’s not Carnival, it’s the passengers that cause the chaos. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, Salem615 said:

We sailed on the Liberty in Mid October. I really think it is time to do something about the outside muster drill in the blazing heat before someone gets seriously ill or injured.

We boarded the ship around 11:30 and went to our room to drop off our bags and then went to the lido deck for lunch and a couple of drinks. It was really hot out so we decided to go back to our suite and relax and unpack if our bags were there. We were in the room for a few hours and my husband napped and I relaxed and read for a bit. We had a lot of evening plans and wanted to be ready to go. 

The muster started and we were on deck 4. There was already a lot of people lined up and it was as usual crazy. There was a man in front of us who really enjoyed the bar before the drill and his wife was trying to keep him under control. (It was kind of amusing).  The staff was trying to control the crowd and get everyone checked in. As all this was going on I started to get really warm. It was so hot out and we were in a crowd of people. I could feel myself getting shaky and clammy and I leaned a bit on my husband and was hoping the drill would be over soon. Next thing I knew my husband was calling my name. I passed out due to the heat. I never pass out so I was very startled by what had happened. 

A staff member was trying to help us up as my husband went down with me to keep me from hurting myself. As we were being led out of the crowd I felt weak and disoriented and I passed out again.  Staff was trying to get me water and wheelchair but with the throngs of people it was not easy. They did manage a wheelchair and I was being led out along with many other people as the drill was over. It was a chaotic mess. Nobody would let us through and I could feel myself slipping again. 

We made it to the inside and my husband wanted me to see medical. Well trying to get a wheelchair through hundreds of people was no easy task. Everyone was set on getting to where they needed to go. It was a bit scary and upsetting. 

We did get to medical finally but after talking to the nurse and finding out I had to pay $125 I decided to just go back to the room and cool off in my suite with water and ice. I ended up napping and we lost a lot of precious time on this short cruise. The nurse did take my blood pressure and temp. My blood pressure was a bit low. 

Staff is not well equipped to handle emergencies and this could have been a lot worse then it was. Luckily there was a nurse behind us when I passed out and she was trying help. It's really time to move the drills inside. This really is not a safe way to do these drills. 

I talked with Carnival Customer service and they really could not offer any advice.  At least I made them aware of the situation and hopefully do something to prevent anyone else from having this happen to them. 

This is why I now let them know in advance that I am medically needy and require an inside muster - For one I simply can't stand the heat and like you I almost passed out once from the heat so after that happened I now tell them I am required to be indoors for muster - And then secondly I am always on time which means I am always stuck in the back of the drill with 6 or 7 rows of people in front of me and the claustrophobia in me just can't handle that either 

Some ships like Carnival Breeze only have indoor musters - I think all ships should change to this 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 6:27 PM, robc1972 said:

MSC was inside.

Not true.  For our cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, it was held outside by the lifeboats.

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Not true.  For our cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, it was held outside by the lifeboats.

I have only cruised Royal twice (Navigator and Harmony) and both were outside. 

The Navigator was out by the lifeboats, where the background port noise was so loud you couldn't hear/understand anything anyway.  On Harmony I thought we were lucky because we got the Aqua Theatre (i.e. seats).  However, the hot Fort Lauderdale sun baked us out there.  Many people just walked up, had their card scanned...then left.  I was absolutely drenched in sweat by the time that thing was over...it was miserable.

On NCL (Gem) and Carnival (Breeze), the musters were inside in the theatre (for our cabin) and easy to understand...and over very quickly.  On Royal...the musters took forever (plus on Harmony they make you watch that dumb movie even after they tell you everything the dumb movie tells you).

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 1:03 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Contrary to what some people have mentioned in this thread, heat can cause fainting.  One of the common causes of fainting is dehydration, which can result from exposure to heat.  Having said that, passengers need to take responsibility for their own actions.  Alcohol is well known to dehydrate people.  Everyone reacts differently to alcohol, but even 1-2 drinks can be enough to lead to dehydration. So anyone who has a drink or two before going to an outside muster drill has no one to blame but themselves if they end up fainting.  Keep in mind tens of thousands of passengers attend outdoor muster drills every week. Only a fraction of a percentage point of these passengers end up fainting. In almost every case, these passengers drank alcohol prior to the briefing. 

Agree about the fainting. It actually disturbs me a bit how little people seem to aware of things like heatstroke, everyone assuming that because they've always been happy to stand outside in the sunshine that it can't possibly be dangerous. I do desert trips in Morocco fairly regularly, and nearly every year there will be someone who won't cover their head, doesn't drink enough fluids, won't have breaks from the sun and ends up passing out or being severely sick for a number of days. Because they've always sunbathed and not had problems in the past they don't recognise the genuine danger of being directly in intense sun (sunstroke is potentially fatal). Now, obviously I don't know if the heat on this occasion was as hot as the Sahara, but even moderate risks are likely still a consideration and shouldn't be taken lightly. 

Cover your head, wear breathable fabrics, drink lots of water, apply good sun lotion, and stay safe.  🙂