Nor easter on Saturday and leaving for New England/Canada

lauren0309

Sailing this weekend, 10/27/18 out of New York.  When there is a Nor easter  would the cruise to Canada get diverted or do they sail around it?  Just wondering if I should be light clothing plus heavy clothing in case we get diverted to somewhere warm. 

Edited by lauren0309

57 minutes ago, Brian1713 said:

They are saying it will clear Southern New England by Sunday morning, showers in Newport though

The ship is not visiting Newport on Sunday. Saturday cruise is only a 5 day cruise only to St John and Halifax. Regal is just finishing the last 7 day cruise that goes to Newport, Boston, and other ports

For the weather, bring heavier clothes and except some rocking and rolling.

We just returned from the Regal, had a great time but weather was challenging.  Cold and rain in every port with wind gusts over 60mph.  We missed Bar Harbor, snowed in  Halifax, our tour to Peggy’s Cove was quite exciting.   Squall came in high wind, ice and sleet....quite spectacular!   Dress warmly in layers, hat and gloves and a windbreaker.  Captain Stringer is exceptional and if he can get you there safely he will.  Good luck and smooth sail😉ing 

5FD14A26-98A2-4F04-AAE5-402936D02F73.jpeg

Edited by Lanz
Wrong port
  • Like 1

My brother and his wife were on a Royal Caribbean cruise to New England/Canada last week. They missed Boston due to leaving Baltimore late because of the remnants of Hurricane Michael. They missed Saint John due to high seas and winds.

Just got off the Regal 10 days ago.  We had to sail around the remnants of Hurricane Michael by taking a detour through the Gulf of Maine, instead of going in a straight line back to New York.We had gale force winds one night ( above 60 knots), and the Regal did very well, with only moderate rock 'n roll.  

The updates from the Captain were very timely and very informative.  The Princess corporate office uses their own maritime weather consulting service, ( along with the National Weather Service, of course,)  which is up-to-the-minute in assisting with navigation through wind and ocean swells. 

Tim Stringer, the Captain, will make general announcements each night about 6 PM, and also on the Wake Show, where he has his own segment from the bridge, and shows the navigation charts and maps.   He is excellent at explaining navigation and weather conditions -- the science of commanding a cruise ship is really fascinating.

Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise -- I'm sure the Regal will do beautifully.  🙂 - EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

15 hours ago, Luvmyrotti said:

I live in Potland Maine. You will likely get cold rain and some gusty wind.  I doubt they will need to divert.  Fall, once this far into October, is typically cold and windy here.

Can I ask you a question since you're from that area?  If you had the choice to cruise starting on Sept. 29th or Oct. 6th, which would you choose?  We did a Canada/NE that started on Sept. 29th last year and it was truly one of our best cruises.  It only rained once or twice at night and we had absolutely gorgeous days.  Was this a fluke?

13 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Can I ask you a question since you're from that area?  If you had the choice to cruise starting on Sept. 29th or Oct. 6th, which would you choose?  We did a Canada/NE that started on Sept. 29th last year and it was truly one of our best cruises.  It only rained once or twice at night and we had absolutely gorgeous days.  Was this a fluke?

I recently did a canada/NE on the Regal on Oct 6 and the weather was perfect with mostly overcast days and it only rain once or twice 

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

its all a fluke. i was on last year 5 day regal canada cruise  mid october and it was 70 sweltering perfect degrees in both ports. 

now this year we have this 🙂

And we were on the cruise that would have been this week, a few years ago, and the weather was lovely (except really cold in Halifax!).  I have a friend on the cruise this week, and she just texted me this morning that they had to cancel Saint John, much to her disappointment.  Tricky working with high tide and winds.  Just became a day at sea for them.  The weather this week wasn't great, but they've had a great time anyway.  If you're wanting to see the fall colours, it's kind of a gamble I suppose, but September 29 would probably be too early most years, but you never know!  

IMG_8084.thumb.JPG.63555f35ddb8c3e0580f76280d1227e2.JPG

(Bar Harbor, October 21, 2015)

• Like 1

I was on a cruise several years ago that started October 23rd out of Quebec City. We had white out conditions due to snow in Quebec City during our pre-cruise and stayed in the hotel for both days. It was still ugly when we boarded the ship - the crew had made snowman on the Lido deck.

We got to Boston on the 31st and it was the best fall foliage day and simply gorgeous.

Edited by Coral

Yeah, I would never book Canada/NE past Oct. 8th.  Just too risky for cold weather IMO. 

We actually saw some great fall color on our Sept. 29th cruise last year.  We were really surprised!  But, to us here in So. Cal., anything other than green is interesting and good to see.  To those on the East Coast, it may not have been as impressive.

On 10/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, lauren0309 said:

Sailing this weekend, 10/27/18 out of New York.  When there is a Nor easter  would the cruise to Canada get diverted or do they sail around it?  Just wondering if I should be light clothing plus heavy clothing in case we get diverted to somewhere warm. 

Are you driving?  Where are you going to park?  Remember what happen to the cars at the pier during Sandy.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

has your girlfriend flown in yet? - that's gotta be driving you nuts now - good luck and safe travels for both of you, Lucky

her plane is en route to her airport now so her flight appears to even be arriving a bit early tonight.  ive learned always to check where the plane is coming from to get the real story on delays for 'your' flight. all on schedule for today so far thankfully. thanks!

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Are you driving?  Where are you going to park?  Remember what happen to the cars at the pier during Sandy.

Was planning on parking at the pier. Never thought about it washing away.  Idk the layout of the pier, maybe park furthest away from the ocean?

9 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

Was planning on parking at the pier. Never thought about it washing away.  Idk the layout of the pier, maybe park furthest away from the ocean?

Here is a satellite view of the Brooklyn cruise terminal, where the Regal docks:

Untitled.png

• Like 1