Can't search in forum

On 11/24/2018 at 11:21 AM, zitsky said:

Many of us are simply trying to get used to the new way things are done.  Search is one of them.

What is it about the search that is causing difficulty? Are you using a pc or mobile?

That was in his first couple of posts.

He is correct- when he uses his mobile there is no Search this Forum  link.

Also on a pc if you click on the part of the search where it says search you get the dropdown with the search this forum option BUT if you click on the magnifying glass it moves off the "forum" you are on page and so on the Big search menu that comes up again search this forum is not there.

Maybe one of his pictures was a poor example as it was not on  a page where it would show.

Maybe this is not a problem to a lot of us but I, like the OP, run a spreadsheet for roll calls and  searching the forum is a very useful tool when trying to keep track of things.  Fortunately I am always using a laptop

so it  is OK .     It is not really intuitive and takes a bit of getting used to.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

What is it about the search that is causing difficulty? Are you using a pc or mobile?

Thanks but people have already made clear that they don't want any more criticism of the new changes.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

So you are not having difficulty using the new features, you just don't like them?

Depending on browser size and location in the forum/page and PC or mobile, there are at least three different ways to search.  One option choose this forum another select the forum from a list.  The third I haven't tried (very top of page).

So I am both having trouble with new search and also trying to give feedback.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Depending on browser size and location in the forum/page and PC or mobile, there are at least three different ways to search.  One option choose this forum another select the forum from a list.  The third I haven't tried (very top of page).

So I am both having trouble with new search and also trying to give feedback.

I agree the different search parameters depending on device doesn't make sense. There is no apparent reason for it and it sure leads to confusion.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

I agree the different search parameters depending on device doesn't make sense. There is no apparent reason for it and it sure leads to confusion.

People here are tired of hearing complaints.  I'm tired of making them.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

there is an app coming for the mobile which should /maybe fix the forum search on a phone.

The "This Forum" and "This Thread" are built into the app platform core. I don't think you could take them out of the app even if you wanted to. The app platform uses context sensitive searching. If you're in a thread, you can search the thread. If you are in a board/forum, you can search it.

24 minutes ago, POA1 said:

The "This Forum" and "This Thread" are built into the app platform core. I don't think you could take them out of the app even if you wanted to. The app platform uses context sensitive searching. If you're in a thread, you can search the thread. If you are in a board/forum, you can search it.

Edit:  I was using the top search icon.  Not the second one.  Second one searches multiple forums.  Still dont see how to search a thread on mobile.  Having more than one search option is confusing.

Here is my experience on mobile.  While in a thread I tap the search icon.  I type in some words, example "Google  chrome". I then see many sounds like items (ex. "Rome") but it does not appear to search the thread.

What am I doing wrong on mobile?

Edited by zitsky

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What am I doing wrong on mobile?

Nothing. You can't search inside a thread on mobile. Go to the topic list for this forum. Look for a title that starts with Big Request: and you'll see it discussed there. 

Edited by POA1

I dont think you are doing anything wrong -  Nothing has changed YET -the new app with the search thread facility is not available yet. I just pointed you to the thread now mentioned again to give you some hope for the future.

Edited by Aulanis

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

I dont see Forum and Thread parameters on my laptop using Chrome and W10🤔

It looks like the switch from the full desktop site to the mobile ones (blue secondary navbar) takes place around 1,200 pixels wide. I want to say 1,201 pixels is the exact CSS viewport breakpoint. What you see is a matter of screen size (viewport width) and not whether it's a computer or not.  I phone with a big enough screen, turned sideways, gets the desktop site. Hope that makes sense.

11 hours ago, POA1 said:

It looks like the switch from the full desktop site to the mobile ones (blue secondary navbar) takes place around 1,200 pixels wide. I want to say 1,201 pixels is the exact CSS viewport breakpoint. What you see is a matter of screen size (viewport width) and not whether it's a computer or not.  I phone with a big enough screen, turned sideways, gets the desktop site. Hope that makes sense.

Well this is fun.

If i place my curser in the Search box, this comes up

image.png.658a2a762d53d9fede79c98650ae856c.png

If i click on the magnifying glass with nothing in the search field, this comes up

image.thumb.png.0d55d9bbcca980b89ba883596900bd3a.png

So I do have the ability to search inside a thread or forum on my laptop.

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

So I do have the ability to search inside a thread or forum on my laptop.

That's good. No idea why the magnifying glass would be different... 

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

But you still get the blue navbar and limited search? You're not using the top search are you? 

Nope, here are my screen sizes on S9+

Screenshot_20181207-235659_Chrome.jpg

Landscape

Screenshot_20181207-235649_Chrome.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

That's good. No idea why the magnifying glass would be different... 

I posted about this earlier in this thread

"

Also on a pc if you click on the part of the search where it says search you get the dropdown with the search this forum option BUT if you click on the magnifying glass it moves off the "forum" you are on page and so on the Big search menu that comes up again search this forum is not there."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aulanis said:

I posted about this earlier in this thread

"

Also on a pc if you click on the part of the search where it says search you get the dropdown with the search this forum option BUT if you click on the magnifying glass it moves off the "forum" you are on page and so on the Big search menu that comes up again search this forum is not there."

Thanks. I must have missed your post. As someone who used to design user interfaces, I don't remember the directive to 'deliver wildly inconsistent user experiences on different platforms." That must be new. 

On 11/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, zitsky said:

That you for posting that.  The owner needs to know if people are dissatisfied.  Although I am not sure they will do anything about it.  Search has become overly difficult.  Also the behavior changes based on the size of your browser window.

The new improved search option is nearly worthless, IMO. It cannot be narrowed down to specific forums, with results coming back for everything. 

At least bring back the old search feature as the new one will only cause more questions than answers.