What I ate on NCL Getaway 10/14 Eastern Caribbean

ludicrous_speed

Debark Day- Breakfast- Savor Dining Room

Last meal..............

Sitting in the dining room connected back to WiFi, reading all the excited posts in the NCL Getaway Facebook Page for those on their way to the port to get on Getaway. Jerks........

I'm kidding. I'm sure they are enjoying the LAST dinner this very moment. 🙂

I just asked for two eggs over easy. Nothing special. They did a great job.

IMG_8604.jpg

• Like 1

If you don't mind- I'll be back with more.

My wife took pics of her food- most of the time we coordinated meals so we could get a sample of a bunch of things. While they were not my meals, I did sample hers and I'd love to tell you my thoughts.

And...we had the UBP so I have a lot of drink pictures too.

Some additional info:

Weight gained- 6 lbs.

Days spent in gym onboard- 0

Stairs vs Elevator- Elevator

Post vacation weight loss- 5lbs. Almost back. 

• Like 5

thank you for your excellent review!  I was going to ask you about weight gain, until I saw your post about having lost 45lbs before your cruise.  I say, you deserve a break from dieting!  and thanks for the latest post about weight gain, vs time in gym and stairs vs elevator LOL.  

Love your food review, especially because it is concentrated on the non extra pay MDRs.  That is where I will be dining when I finally get to take my Norwegian cruise!  It will be some time before I can cruise again, but some day I will, and for now, I am greatly looking forward to a cruise on one of the ships from the Epic on up to the newest.

Thanks again!  Love your review.

• Like 1

Thanks for a wonderful review!  We leave on the Breakaway on Nov. 25, and I read so many negative reviews on CC about the food on NCL that I was getting concerned, but it looks great.  Your pictures are beautiful! Thank you for all of the time and effort you have put into this.  Looking forward to seeing your wife's choices!

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Here in the deep South we also have Steak'n'Shake. The restaurants are always crowded.

P.S. I moved south from the "great state of Misery". 🙂

Haha- Misery. Sure feels like it sometimes! But Home is a nice place to be.

BTW- I love your name. Huge Simpsons fan here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

You got me (again:classic_biggrin:) on Day 6!  I would definitely order those 3 appetizers plus the Banana Souffle.  I was worried the new menus wouldn't have Souffle any more.  Amazing how they can serve up hundreds  of those nice and warm with that great sauce to pour on it......yum! 

That's a great point! It really is amazing how they can store, prep, finish, plate, serve, collect, wash, and repeat multiple times a day- everyday. Very talented and hard working staff. They certainly get my respect.

6 hours ago, CarrieAP said:

Loving your review with both pics and engaging antecdotes!! The Getaway was our 1st NCL Cruise last year and got us hooked. I’ve taken 2 Disney cruises since and to me the Getaway’s food for sure exceeded DCL. Thank you for taking the time to post this! 

Thank you- Glad you are enjoying it. I've never been on Disney. This ships look beautiful. I'm afraid my boys have outgrown Disney so I'm not sure if a trip with them will be in our future. Glad I didn't miss much on the food side.

5 hours ago, Jldevlin said:

When I first saw the subject line I thought who wants to look at what other people eat ...?? And then I looked ...and now I go on a few times a day to see what you had !!!! 

Thank you! I thought I'd be as blunt as possible with the subject. 🙂  Glad you came back to see everything. I have more coming. I plan on wearing out my welcome.

52 minutes ago, SMSACE6 said:

thank you for your excellent review!  I was going to ask you about weight gain, until I saw your post about having lost 45lbs before your cruise.  I say, you deserve a break from dieting!  and thanks for the latest post about weight gain, vs time in gym and stairs vs elevator LOL.  

Love your food review, especially because it is concentrated on the non extra pay MDRs.  That is where I will be dining when I finally get to take my Norwegian cruise!  It will be some time before I can cruise again, but some day I will, and for now, I am greatly looking forward to a cruise on one of the ships from the Epic on up to the newest.

Thanks again!  Love your review.

Thank you! The cruise was the light at the end of the tunnel for me. It felt good to lose the weight and I really enjoyed myself  on the cruise. The pictures probably make it look like all I did was eat. We did so much else. Eating was just a highlight for me after limiting my calories this past year.

This was the first ship that I've been on that had excellent elevator wait times. Previous ships had slow crowded elevators so I would typically take the stairs. Not an issue on this ship.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jlkb said:

Thanks for a wonderful review!  We leave on the Breakaway on Nov. 25, and I read so many negative reviews on CC about the food on NCL that I was getting concerned, but it looks great.  Your pictures are beautiful! Thank you for all of the time and effort you have put into this.  Looking forward to seeing your wife's choices!

Thank you. I felt the same way as you in the 9 months leading up to our cruise. Food is subjective but I read so many negative things. I was really concerned. I didn't want to pay for a cruise and then pay again for food each night in specialty dining. Overall I thought everything was very nice and well worth the cost of the cruise. Breakfast in the main dining room was always a highlight for me. They really did an excellent job in my opinion. I would book again and be happy with the MDR food. Everyone in my family was satisfied as well- kids to the adults.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this review.  We board the 18th for a big family cruise   10 of us in total.   I'm hopeful that I can get one of the adult kids, or a grandkid or two to come to the MDR with me for breakfast.  My wife likes the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but I greatly prefer the food and experience in the MDR.    I believe our non-drinkers took the dining package as their booking bonus, and Cagney's is on their list of desires, we'll give it another try but my experience has been that it was disappointing in the past.     I definitely feel better about the dining after your review compared to a few complaints I've read lately.

We've got Steak N Shake in Florida, but its not as good as it was in St Louis, and I really miss Lions Choice.  4 years

• Like 1

Dinner the first night she ordered the Shrimp & Artichoke Pasta. I tried it and I thought it was really good. I thought the presentation was nice and the shrimp were not overcooked.

Her thoughts: Amazing! The sauce was a bit lemony but creamy. There shrimp were plump and yummy.

IMG_0828.jpg

• Like 1

My youngest son ordered the  strip steak off the classics menu pretty regularly. He was pretty happy with it. He liked the peppercorn sauce and really liked the french fries. I tried it and it was decent. They did a pretty good job attempting medium rare with the thin cut. The fries were good! IMG_0829.thumb.jpg.38fdbb930a1287e877bdc7017b848c9d.jpg