Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
neilkear

On Breakaway now, course change.

Recommended Posts

We just called NCL, and they expect more information to be available in the next few hours.  Their phone lines are open till midnight ET.  We’re curious about how late we can arrive.  We might try to see another show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is not good at all. Trying to think if we are going to even make it to our first port "Puerto Rico" originally we were supposed to arrive at 3 PM on the 30th but as it looks right now the whole port might be skipped. Also with 40 mph wind gusts from the Nor'easter with the worst winds in the afternoon wondering if that may even delay the ship even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

We just called NCL, and they expect more information to be available in the next few hours.  Their phone lines are open till midnight ET.  We’re curious about how late we can arrive.  We might try to see another show!

We're in Halifax NS on Regal Princess right now and won't have cell service until we arrive in NYC Saturday @ 7am. Please keep this roll call updated. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing some quick math here, based on OP's post earlier & limited info, BA was 100 miles (or nautical miles) somewhere - west of the Bahamas ... and Miami is about 185 miles in between these ports - about 162 nm only, which is well within the range of USCG's mid-range Jayhawk HH-60H or J chopter - depending on what's closest to the BA.  It's possible that the patient (could be passenger or crew member) cannot be medevac and they need to reach the nearest port for urgent care.  Fingers crossed that they are getting to the meet up ASAP - it is possibly that they need to load extra fuel before resuming this trip to head north with the storm ahead.  

 

This delay is going to disrupt most out-of-towner's travel plan to get back on Saturday,  but, no thanks to mother nature ... look for airlines to issue travel waivers & make flight plan changes.  I just did a quick check for those of you onboard the BA, just in case ... expect airlines to decide in the next 12 to 24 hours on what they will do.  

 

Delta has already announced & posted it on their website - allowing for one-time change, at no charge, those booked on flights for 10/27/2018 ... link is here - https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/weather-alerts/new-york-city-area-weather

 

Nothing yet on United or AA, but they typically will follow other competitive legacy carriers & move to allow for change.  

 

JetBlue does not cross-honor or endorse theirs for other airlines, just posted waiver @16:30 hour  -  https://www.jetblue.com/JetblueAlerts/WeatherUpdate.aspx/?intcmp=global_travelalert

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, speedz84 said:

Well this is not good at all. Trying to think if we are going to even make it to our first port "Puerto Rico" originally we were supposed to arrive at 3 PM on the 30th but as it looks right now the whole port might be skipped. Also with 40 mph wind gusts from the Nor'easter with the worst winds in the afternoon wondering if that may even delay the ship even more.

Yeah, and I understand a medical emergency so late arrival and we might not get checked in and into our rooms until after midnight, and a bunch of other stuff could occur however this is New York very expensive we planned on being here so NCL must make amends for (between all of us) the thousands of dollars lost.  This has nothing to do with the medical emergency of course that comes first  even if the ship is two or three days late, however passengers should not have to pay for it, ncl does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shof515 said:

On a facebook group, the ship set a course towards Miami for the medevac

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

On a facebook group, the ship set a course towards Miami for the medevac

I am on board and I am the OP. We are not enroute to Miami! We are traveling north and may be met by a Jayhawk out of Jacksonville. The crew is tightlipped and just says that the Captain will update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, neilkear said:

I am on board and I am the OP. We are not enroute to Miami! We are traveling north and may be met by a Jayhawk out of Jacksonville. The crew is tightlipped and just says that the Captain will update!

thanks for the information, your posts are viral and are all over the internets, do you know if jacksonville or miami is closest to your current position?

Edited by Newleno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, speedz84 said:

Well this is not good at all. Trying to think if we are going to even make it to our first port "Puerto Rico" originally we were supposed to arrive at 3 PM on the 30th but as it looks right now the whole port might be skipped. Also with 40 mph wind gusts from the Nor'easter with the worst winds in the afternoon wondering if that may even delay the ship even more.

 

The ship will be skipping the first port of call. In a facebook group, someone posted this:

“Due to an onboard medical emergency, Norwegian Breakaway is expected to return to New York City later than expected, between 5:00 -7:30PM, on October 27. Embarkation for her next voyage will begin later that evening at approximately 10:30PM. As a result, the itinerary for her New York to New Orleans sailing has been modified. Norwegian Breakaway will no longer call into San Juan, Puerto Rico. Instead, she will sail directly to Tortola. Our team is currently working to assist impacted guests. We apologize for any inconvenience this unforeseen change has caused.” – Spokesperson for Norwegian Cruise Line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just called NCL and had the lady speak with their supervisor. What I got was she told me that there will be no compensation for the skipped port which $75 OBC is useless after spending thousands for this trip, I think a refund for that one day would have been better for everyone since they count embarkation day. Would be surprised if they charged everyone the $14.99 gratuity for Embarkation day since most people won't be on board until 8-9 PM anyway and about 80% of the day was wasted. I understand that delays happen we should not be charged.

Edited by speedz84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

But our drink packages will work in NYC, right?

You will be taxed on every drink while in port, also no casino or shopping while in port. Just, think 4000 passengers, hungry and tired, muster drill @ 10:30pm and all the MDR's will be closed. Should be an interesting night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, speedz84 said:

Just called NCL and had the lady speak with their supervisor. What I got was she told me that there will be no compensation for the skipped port which $75 OBC is useless after spending thousands for this trip, I think a refund for that one day would have been better for everyone since they count embarkation day. Would be surprised if they charged everyone the $14.99 gratuity for Embarkation day since most people won't be on board until 8-9 PM anyway and about 80% of the day was wasted. I understand that delays happen we should not be charged.

 

We're all entitled to our opinions but having traveled 48 weeks/year for 20 years I can tell you delays happen on ALL forms of transportation    in the grand scheme of things, it's relatively minor.  Please don't let that ruin your trip.

 

My suggestion is to roll with it and have an adventure. Go see a museum you'd have otherwise missed.  Go stroll Central Park, walk around Chinatown, take the Staten Island ferry for amazing views.  Many of the activites are little or no costs.

 

Eat like a NY'er for lunch.  Get a pizza that's to die for.  Get dumplings at Nice Green Bao on Mott St.....almost as good as in Shanghai.   There are 1,000 more things I can give you.   You're lucky enough to have an extra few hours in one of the greatest cities in the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

 

We're all entitled to our opinions but having traveled 48 weeks/year for 20 years I can tell you delays happen on ALL forms of transportation    in the grand scheme of things, it's relatively minor.  Please don't let that ruin your trip.

 

My suggestion is to roll with it and have an adventure. Go see a museum you'd have otherwise missed.  Go stroll Central Park, walk around Chinatown, take the Staten Island ferry for amazing views.  Many of the activites are little or no costs.

 

Eat like a NY'er for lunch.  Get a pizza that's to die for.  Get dumplings at Nice Green Bao on Mott St.....almost as good as in Shanghai.   There are 1,000 more things I can give you.   You're lucky enough to have an extra few hours in one of the greatest cities in the world. 

 

In the midst of a huge storm / downpours, lugging baggage?  Not so much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The compensation is per person . our hotel is giving us a late check out . Then we'll hang in the lobby until time to go to the pier . The weather is going to be too nasty to go exploring --- at least for us .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, So with the recent history with NCL changing schedules or missing ports ( Escape - Bermuda cruise and Breakaway - Baltic cruise ), I have to ask this to anyone aboard the ship now. Was there an actual medical emergency? I know this seems harsh to ask but I really don't believe everything they say. I have been searching the USCG site and there is no mention of a rescue off the BA.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

OK, So with the recent history with NCL changing schedules or missing ports ( Escape - Bermuda cruise and Breakaway - Baltic cruise ), I have to ask this to anyone aboard the ship now. Was there an actual medical emergency? I know this seems harsh to ask but I really don't believe everything they say. I have been searching the USCG site and there is no mention of a rescue off the BA.    

 

JIMESOPUS, I am onboard and I started this thread. To answer your question, I don’t know! Some time during the night the course changed from NW to W, straight toward the lower Bahamas. At around 9 this morning the course changed again to N, in my guesstimate we where about 100 miles west of Bahamas. All this was taken from the ships information channel on the cabin TV. We are now heading on a direct line to NYC and doing 22.4 Kts. We are beyond the distance of any chopper that I know of and are north of Miami, and according to the shown projected line we are going to move slightly east probably to clear Hatteras. The word among a lot of pax is that the patient has stabilized and is going to remain on to NYC. So again, I don’t know and are just as confused as you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also put up the disembarkation times, self assist first off starting at 7 and going through the rest with last off at 9:15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, neilkear said:

They also put up the disembarkation times, self assist first off starting at 7 and going through the rest with last off at 9:15.

Thanks for the update, I'm assuming that's PM. Safe cruise home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, neilkear said:

They also put up the disembarkation times, self assist first off starting at 7 and going through the rest with last off at 9:15.

is that am or pm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, daiseee said:

is that am or pm?

 

PM. the ship will be arriving late in the evening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No indeed . We did not and are not canceling our trip . In fact we are meeting a group of 8 friends that we frequently sail with . Please do not misquote me . Never said a word about canceling .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one more incident to strengthen the case that cruising without Trip Insurance is crazy..... medical for the evacuation, trip interruption / delay for passengers being impacted and coverage for itineary change (notice before trip begins) ESPECIALLY in hurricane season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...