Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
andymattmom

Travelers Checks

Recommended Posts

I found some old threads on the topic. I don’t even know if my bank has. 

Sone excursions are cash payment - booked on our own. I was trying not to carry lots of cash while we travel to Miami.

Does Celebrity cash US travelers checks onboard?

Edited by andymattmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can do it, also you can settle your account to be paid with travelers checks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

I found some old threads on the topic. I don’t even know if my bank has. 

Sone excursions are cash payment - booked on our own. I was trying not to carry lots of cash while we travel to Miami.

Does Celebrity cash US travelers checks onboard?

Yes. GSs will cash them at no charge. We haven't used them for years but saw a passenger on our last cruise on the Infinity cashing travelers checks. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Celebrity will cash travelers check but it might be easier to get a credit card with no fee ATM card from a bank that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and offers to rebate foreign ATM fees.    You then wouldn't need to be traveling through Miami with a lot of cash and could withdraw money as you needed it. 

 

Either way I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do bring TCs, make sure to cash them aboard.  On shore, many places don''t even know what they are and no longer accept the things.  A few years ago we were having lunch at a nice Paris cafe when the table next to us tried to use TCs.  We overheard the waiter ask what it was and then say he had never heard of TCs.  He then went a got the owner (who was a lot older) who did know what it was, but refused to accept them explaining he did not even know if his bank would accept the TC.  Fortunately the couple had a credit card (which they used).  We live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for part of the year and its common to see handwritten signs at the various Cambios (money changing places) that say, "we do not cash Travelers Checks."

 

So what are your other options?  Some folks will carry lots of cash and even exchange for foreign currency before they leave home.   Others (such as me) rely on Debit/ATM cards which has become the norm all over the world.  We actually now carry 3 different ATM cards (each drawn on a different account at different banks) so we have back-up and the ability to get larger amounts of currency (daily withdrawal limits restrict each card).

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to often use them and cashed them on board for the reasons stated above but haven't been able to purchase them for years now. I'd second the ideas given above for travel funds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TC have gone the way of the telegram. Cash them on board, anywhere else will probably ask you what they are.

Edited by dkjretired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found a very informative website on Traveler's Checks 

 

Where to get a travelers check

Over the years, many consumers have had difficulty using and cashing travelers checks. Now, many banks — including giants like Chase, Wells Fargo and Bank of America — no longer offer travelers checks.

But travelers checks aren’t yet obsolete. You can still find them from such companies as American Express, AAA and Visa. Typically, when buying them, you’ll pay a 1% to 2% fee on the amount of your checks.

 

The fee alone may be a reason to choose using an ATM (no transaction fee) card instead.    At least the article tells you where you can obtain them if you decide that route.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travelers Checks are very much a thing of the past and not worth the bother. The response by Jim_Iian is right on and I second his comments and recommendations. Travelers Checks are just a big bother: they will cost you to get them and they are almost impossible to cash. Don't use them.

dmg1956

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andymattmom said:

Thanks!! Will just figure something out. Appreciate the replies 

Still consider TCs especially if you can get them at no charge. But cash the on the ship at GS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Still consider TCs especially if you can get them at no charge. But cash the on the ship at GS. 

I can barely read this fancy-smanchy script font. I have skipped past a number of posts by you and others using this, but sometimes you have something useful to say. Can you please figure out a way to change to a normal font that would be legible to those of us who have never had a calligraphy class? Maybe Jenn can help you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I can barely read this fancy-smanchy script font. I have skipped past a number of posts by you and others using this, but sometimes you have something useful to say. Can you please figure out a way to change to a normal font that would be legible to those of us who have never had a calligraphy class? Maybe Jenn can help you?

I agree. It’s not a reader-friendly font at all.  (Easy to change the font by clicking on the button creatively labeled “font” in the horizontal toolbar across the top of the comment box.)

 

the above was typed in CC.’ S very readable default font. This is typed in Comic Sans.  NOT  a friendly font at all!  

Edited by Turtles06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use ATM's.  However, we took a Baltic's cruise and arranged for a private tour in Russia which was going to be very expensive for both of us.  .  I think they would have taken a credit card for a surcharge.  What I did was get Traveler's Checks to cover the cost so that I wasn't carrying a large amount of USD with me in transit.  Once on the ship, I cashed them so I could pay the tour leader in cash.  That is about the only time I have used traveler's checks in the past 10 years.. The checks were free at my credit union/ 

Edited by Tucker in Texas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We found we have some travellers checks that we’ve had over 10 years but we’re really struggling to convert them, suggest you don’t go into purchasing now and use a card instead. We may try taking them on the ship and depositing some onto the bill 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I can barely read this fancy-smanchy script font. I have skipped past a number of posts by you and others using this, but sometimes you have something useful to say. Can you please figure out a way to change to a normal font that would be legible to those of us who have never had a calligraphy class? Maybe Jenn can help you?

 

If folks must use the light script I suggest using the bold feature

 

As for TCs..we gave them up years ago.

Our credit card does mot impose a foreign exchane fee..Just easier to use that or lical cash.  But I did learn alit from this thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiggertastic said:

We found we have some travellers checks that we’ve had over 10 years but we’re really struggling to convert them, suggest you don’t go into purchasing now and use a card instead. We may try taking them on the ship and depositing some onto the bill 

I have some old American Express $US travellers cheques, issued by Thomas Cook, which I tried to convert.

 

I was advised by American Express that in the UK the Post Office, and the Nat West Bank, were the only places that would convert them yet both said they did not provide such a service.

 

Would such cheques be accepted on board by Celebrity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I can barely read this fancy-smanchy script font. I have skipped past a number of posts by you and others using this, but sometimes you have something useful to say. Can you please figure out a way to change to a normal font that would be legible to those of us who have never had a calligraphy class? Maybe Jenn can help you?

What device are you using to post on CC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree. It’s not a reader-friendly font at all.  (Easy to change the font by clicking on the button creatively labeled “font” in the horizontal toolbar across the top of the comment box.)

 

the above was typed in CC.’ S very readable default font. This is typed in Comic Sans.  NOT  a friendly font at all!  

I can read what you posted in the Comic Scans font clearly on my laptop. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I can read what you posted in comic scan font clearly on my laptop. 

Comic Sans is a thin, curly, fussy font perhaps suitable for wedding invitations, but it’s not a reader-friendly font on message boards, especially since people are reading on all sorts of devices, from phones to desktops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

Comic Sans is a thin, curly, fussy font perhaps suitable for wedding invitations, but it’s not a reader-friendly font on message boards, especially since people are reading on all sorts of devices, from phones to desktops. 

Very reader friendly on my laptop. If you are having problems viewing posts, I suggest you report it to the CC IT department. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Very reader friendly on my laptop. If you are having problems viewing posts, I suggest you report it to the CC IT department. 

 

 

It’s almost unreadable on a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. 

 

Honestly, is it even relevant that you can read your posts if almost everyone who comments on them can’t? And you do have a lot of good advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markeb said:

 

 

It’s almost unreadable on a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. 

 

Honestly, is it even relevant that you can read your posts if almost everyone who comments on them can’t? And you do have a lot of good advice. 

 

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

 

 

It’s almost unreadable on a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. 

 

Honestly, is it even relevant that you can read your posts if almost everyone who comments on them can’t? And you do have a lot of good advice. 

Look, obviously there is a problem and it's not the font style or size I elect to use. Have you posted your issue/complaint with the CC IT trouble desk? It's their problem not mine. I'm just using the different options CC has to offer. Did you have these issues before the last update? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

 

Look, obviously there is a problem and it's not the font style or size I elect to use. Have you posted your issue/complaint with the CC IT trouble desk? It's their problem not mine. I'm just using the different options CC has to offer. Did you have these issues before the last update? 

 

I didn’t. Did you use the same font? I never had issues reading your posts. 

 

I’ll try to report it. It may be a font substitution issue. What I see is tiny faint script. Clearly that’s not what you see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, markeb said:

 

I didn’t. Did you use the same font? I never had issues reading your posts. 

 

I’ll try to report it. It may be a font substitution issue. What I see is tiny faint script. Clearly that’s not what you see. 

Yes, I'm using the same font style I did before the update. You are correct. What I'm typing isn't what you or a few others are seeing. I have no problems not electing to use a font option, color or size CC has provided but that should be my choice and not because CC has the problem with it not being compatible on all devices. Thank you for reporting it. Possibly it can be fixed. ☮️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...