Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kosi

Will I miss staying within the Haven area?

Recommended Posts

For those that have experienced  this .. does anyone regret staying in a Haven Penthouse Aft room? I am on floor 15 , so just a 2 floors down, but totally on opposite side.. which we thought walk would do us good. BUT I am worried about giving up the ease of getting a drink right outside of room, the 2 floors of inside loungers for the cold weather days. The restaurant again right outside of room. I would change in a heart beat if to upgrade to a 2 bedroom H4 (we are only 2 of us.. so don't need the 2 br), didn't cost me 1,600 more:( I could get a H5 , but would would lose 1,200 :( I paid final payment already. There are TONS of these rooms left for my cruise. Any thoughts on how I could possibly get H4 for less.. after final payment. Went through an online travel agency.. Thanks you for any help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kosi said:

For those that have experienced  this .. does anyone regret staying in a Haven Penthouse Aft room? I am on floor 15 , so just a 2 floors down, but totally on opposite side.. which we thought walk would do us good. BUT I am worried about giving up the ease of getting a drink right outside of room, the 2 floors of inside loungers for the cold weather days. The restaurant again right outside of room. I would change in a heart beat if to upgrade to a 2 bedroom H4 (we are only 2 of us.. so don't need the 2 br), didn't cost me 1,600 more:( I could get a H5 , but would would lose 1,200 😞 I paid final payment already. There are TONS of these rooms left for my cruise. Any thoughts on how I could possibly get H4 for less.. after final payment. Went through an online travel agency.. Thanks you for any help! 

It is about the experience of the Haven, do you really want to walk around for restaurants, drinks, lounge chairs?  Just see if they can put you in a "lesser" room but in the proper area of the ship where you can truly enjoy the haven experience.  As far as cost?  Chalk it up to experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Bliss Deck 11 & deck 13 Aft, when we did a cruise in the Haven proper, I missed the balcony & I hardly saw the concierge, because I didn’t walk by the desk every time I entered the Haven. You can choose to be in the Haven at anytime when you are in an Aft cabin, I loved watching the Captain manoeuvre into & out of ports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kosi said:

For those that have experienced  this .. does anyone regret staying in a Haven Penthouse Aft room? I am on floor 15 , so just a 2 floors down, but totally on opposite side.. which we thought walk would do us good. BUT I am worried about giving up the ease of getting a drink right outside of room, the 2 floors of inside loungers for the cold weather days. The restaurant again right outside of room. I would change in a heart beat if to upgrade to a 2 bedroom H4 (we are only 2 of us.. so don't need the 2 br), didn't cost me 1,600 more:( I could get a H5 , but would would lose 1,200 :( I paid final payment already. There are TONS of these rooms left for my cruise. Any thoughts on how I could possibly get H4 for less.. after final payment. Went through an online travel agency.. Thanks you for any help! 

you wont miss it at all once you are on that balcony!  we have stayed in both and are staying in an aft penthouse again on our cruise next week. its really not that far a walk to the front of the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just did an H6 for the first time on deck 9 on the Breakaway after having stayed H3, H4, H5, and H9. We still spent a lot of time in the Haven. It was a bit of a hike,  but not as bad as I thought.  When it was chilly on our verandah,  we just packed a beach bag for the covered Haven area.  I had the same concerns as you (practically tortured myself pre-cruise over it), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

We just did an H6 for the first time on deck 9 on the Breakaway after having stayed H3, H4, H5, and H9. We still spent a lot of time in the Haven. It was a bit of a hike,  but not as bad as I thought.  When it was chilly on our verandah,  we just packed a beach bag for the covered Haven area.  I had the same concerns as you (practically tortured myself pre-cruise over it), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be.

Thank you ! 😃

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We loved being in the H6! After having that big balcony, I just can’t stomach having one that barely fits 2 chairs and a small table. Plus, that view! It’s totally worth the walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My aft balcony on the Getaway was my favorite Haven experience.

 

The pros:

  • That balcony just can't be beat. It was the most relaxed I've ever been on a ship. 
  • The walk back and forth to the Haven helped me walk off all of the desserts I ate
  • Showering while looking at the ocean
  • 2 bathrooms!
  • Unlimited free movies
  • Concierge

The cons:

  • Rarely saw our butler
  • They've now made it so you can't put your kids in the connected balcony next door. This was a great option before, but now that an adult has to be registered in each room, we can't do it because only those registered in the Haven room have access. This was the biggest Haven disappointment to me -- why have rooms connected to a Haven if you aren't going to be able to access it? We are 5 so we have to connect. 2nd biggest disappointment is that they are still charging the gratuity on drink and meal packages to Haven rooms -- it should be included.

Truly, once you go Haven, it's so hard to go back. We have had a lovely time in cabins since then, but my Haven experiences, were definitely my favorite. Enjoy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally love the Courtyard area. My last 5 or 6 cruises were in an H5 and that’s the only one I would book.  On our Escape last month,  I was lucky to get the H4 2 bedroom upgrade which worked out for our son to have his own room. But depending on your destination, mine were Alaska and Canada/NE, I didn’t have much of a chance to use the balcony because of the weather. 

 

I like being near the lounge and of course, the bar. Hate to think of that long walk just to get a drink from a familiar face and quickly at that (even though you can partake anywhere) or to enjoy the restaurant, especially for breakfast. The bartenders are the best because they know you and your favorite drinks and being right there all the time, they’re super attentive to you and very personable.

 

This is JMHO. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plus a big balcony, not like you are having parties out there, being in the center of the experience of the haven is the way to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kfamilycruise said:

The pros:

  • That balcony just can't be beat. It was the most relaxed I've ever been on a ship. 
  • Showering while looking at the ocean

 

The cons:

  • Rarely saw our butler
  • They've now made it so you can't put your kids in the connected balcony next door. This was a great option before, but now that an adult has to be registered in each room, we can't do it because only those registered in the Haven room have access. This was the biggest Haven disappointment to me -- why have rooms connected to a Haven if you aren't going to be able to access it? We are 5 so we have to connect. 2nd biggest disappointment is that they are still charging the gratuity on drink and meal packages to Haven rooms -- it should be included.

 

As a side note...

 

  • Balcony sizes differ. Not every H6 has a great balcony.
  • There are 2 different master bedroom/master bathroom configurations for the H6. Not every shower has an outside view.

 

  • The quality of butler can be hit or miss. Since butlers rotate, it is impossible to know if one will be good or bad. Also, the butler that works the H6 only works that area. If other H6 guests are demanding, even a good butler may be so busy that he/she may seem to be "not good". 
  • Disappointment #1 is probably due to people taking advantage of the "connecting" loophole. 2 families of 4 would cram the 4 adults into the suite, put the 4 children in the connecting and all 8 would have Haven access. As it is now, only those booked in the suite have access. If booking on the BA Plus ships, a family of 5 that wants a really large balcony only has the H2 DOS. 
  • Disappointment #2 will probably be around forever or until NCL goes all-inclusive with either the Haven or the entire fleet. 
Edited by Two Wheels Only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Newleno said:

plus a big balcony, not like you are having parties out there, being in the center of the experience of the haven is the way to go

 

Well, some might be having big parties! I personally prefer to have a balcony big enough to dine outside. The walk to the Haven is no big deal to me. You can still spend tons of time there and having the Haven bar close is not a huge appeal. It’s really all about personal preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

 

As a side note...

 

  • Balcony sizes differ. Not every H6 has a great balcony.
  • There are 2 different master bedroom/master bathroom configurations for the H6. Not every shower has an outside view.

 

  • The quality of butler can be hit or miss. Since butlers rotate, it is impossible to know if one will be good or bad. Also, the butler that works the H6 only works that area. If other H6 guests are demanding, even a good butler may be so busy that he/she may seem to be "not good". 
  • Disappointment #1 is probably due to people taking advantage of the "connecting" loophole. 2 families of 4 would cram the 4 adults into the suite, put the 4 children in the connecting and all 8 would have Haven access. As it is now, only those booked in the suite have access. If booking on the BA Plus ships, a family of 5 that wants a really large balcony only has the H2 DOS. 
  • Disappointment #2 will probably be around forever or until NCL goes all-inclusive with either the Haven or the entire fleet. 

I am under no illusion about the butler being the reason for getting a Haven room. We have always been in Haven area for NCL, and we never had a great butler.. so we really don't use him/her. My reasons for the aft room, would be the view. The bedroom being separate from living area.. my hubby likes to be up real early, not me. I like the bedroom next to the balcony , and believe mine would be.  

Edited by Kosi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kosi said:

I like the bedroom next to the balcony , and believe mine would be.  

 

Yes, your deck 15 H6 will be Configuration A (master bedroom near balcony).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 8:14 AM, Kosi said:

For those that have experienced  this .. does anyone regret staying in a Haven Penthouse Aft room? I am on floor 15 , so just a 2 floors down, but totally on opposite side.. which we thought walk would do us good. BUT I am worried about giving up the ease of getting a drink right outside of room, the 2 floors of inside loungers for the cold weather days. The restaurant again right outside of room. I would change in a heart beat if to upgrade to a 2 bedroom H4 (we are only 2 of us.. so don't need the 2 br), didn't cost me 1,600 more:( I could get a H5 , but would would lose 1,200 😞 I paid final payment already. There are TONS of these rooms left for my cruise. Any thoughts on how I could possibly get H4 for less.. after final payment. Went through an online travel agency.. Thanks you for any help! 

I am not a fan of the aft rooms on any ship due to the increased motion and noise - but that is just me.  A large balcony is always great but I would never book a Haven room without being IN the actual Haven.  It is just too handy for the restaurant, more immediate service from Concierge, waiters, etc.  And I am ALWAYS forgetting something....i.e. sunglasses, Kindle, etc...even though I DO pack a beach bag to go from the room to the Haven pool area and would hate the long walk.  Just one more opinion for you to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...