Cruise Critic Community
Crew News

New Club Orange

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

6 people hardly makes the effort worthwhile.  I think we had 24 on our Sept 9 sailing.

OTOH, it doesn't involve much effort on HAL's part. 

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

6 people hardly makes the effort worthwhile.  I think we had 24 on our Sept 9 sailing.

Indeed!  Will the concept go the way of the dinosaur?  With so few people buying it, is it worthwhile to continue?  How long before HAL scraps it?  

Okay, at this point, I have to admit we bought CO for our upcoming cruise aboard Nieuw Statendam, but we were more or less forced into the decision because of circumstances beyond our control.  Anyway, we are anticipating sampling it to see for ourselves whether it's worth it or not.

sevenseasnomad - please post here, after your cruise, if you thought it was worth it.  Thnx.

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Indeed!  Will the concept go the way of the dinosaur?  With so few people buying it, is it worthwhile to continue?  How long before HAL scraps it?  

Okay, at this point, I have to admit we bought CO for our upcoming cruise aboard Nieuw Statendam, but we were more or less forced into the decision because of circumstances beyond our control.  Anyway, we are anticipating sampling it to see for ourselves whether it's worth it or not.

I think they'll keep CO. It doesn't cost them much to have the program, and it looks like they're offering something very special. 

IMO, the problem with CO is that the value is so different, depending on the ship. I think the idea started with "what should we do with that underused ATK space on the K?" So they made it a special restaurant on the K and NS, which makes it look like you're really getting something for the money. To be fair,I've heard good things about dinner there, and the breakfast is definitely a step up from the MDR.

But I doubt they thought beyond that to the other ships, where there isn't a space to dedicate to a CO restaurant. On those ships CO is mostly about priority--embarkation, excursion desk, front desk, tendering, seating at dinner. Is it worth $25 pp pd just to go to the head of the line?

On 10/13/2019 at 4:05 PM, canadianbear said:

As well as not many Signature suites.  We absolutely loved our Signature suite on the Koningsdam for our 21 day cruise a couple years ago.  The Neptune suite was way too high priced for that cruise but the Signature suite was very spacious and we didn’t need the Neptune perks.  I saw a Neptune on the Kongingsdam and preferred our Signature one.

We have booked everything from outside cabins on Statendam-class ships, verandas and Signature Suites on Vista and Signature-class ships as well as a Vista Suite on the Konigsdam.  Our cabin choices are entirely to ensure that we have a 120 volt outlet located where an extension cord doesn't need to be run across the floor to a CPAP.  Our past experience with Veranda cabins was that the only 120 volt outlet was on the other side of the cabin from the night stands.  On one occasion, over 15 years ago, we were upgraded at no cost to a Neptune Suite.  Other than the glass shower stall in our Vista suite, we weren't very enamored with the Konigsdam compared to any of the other HAL ships that we've sailed on.

It appears that the newer 2600 passenger ships pared back their Signature Suites in favor of having 1.5 times as many Vistas.  They also have about 600 more passengers with two fewer elevators than the Vista and Signature class vessels.  For those paying extra for Club Orange here they at least had a dedicated venue in the former America's Test Kitchen.  This is simply a roped-off area in the main dining room on the other ships.  Still, I balk at paying $70 per couple per day for what little Club Orange offers.