Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jim_Iain

Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Recommended Posts

Happy Halloween!     October 31, 2018

 

Today is our last day before we fly out tomorrow.   Happily we are on a Air France flight that doesn't leave until 4:15 pm so we won't have to get up and rush around.  

 

I got my hair cut yesterday.   It turned out a little shorter than normal so taking a little getting used to it.   Laundry and Dry Cleaning were picked up and the suitcases have been pulled out of storage (ok ok - I never put them away from our last cruise).   

 

I stuck the last load of laundry in the washer last night and it is drying as I write.   Now it is time to start making a list to make sure nothing is left out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

From my last Summit cruise:  after I collect my bags and go to the immigration and customs officers in Cape Liberty N.J., the lady that was attending to the passengers, tells me: stop here in the yellow line and look to the camera and don't move, the camera take me a picture and a green light turn's on, the lady tell me go to line 1 where there is no officer and go home, you are cleared to go, I didn't show my passport and visa, simple walk to the street and pick my UBER car to JFK.

 

That does seem simple.   Especially for Cape Liberty.    Did you previously clear immigration prior to final disembarkation.   If so, you were probably just going through Customs.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delighted to hear you enjoyed living in Dublin Jim. I think after 3 years we can consider you and Iain honorary Irish men! ☘️

 

Good luck with your packing - that's the part I always dread the most!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

That does seem simple.   Especially for Cape Liberty.    Did you previously clear immigration prior to final disembarkation.   If so, you were probably just going through Customs.   

 

No I didn't clear immigration onboard the Summit, I enter USA at DFW 2 days prior the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure there would be a long que of immigration officers volunteering for that job for sure.   Unfortunately, I don't believe we will get any immigration officers until we arrive in Boston.

 

@UKPete71may be able to update us on the process.   Did they have different ques for U.S. and International Passport holders.   On my last cruise, In Japan they had the U.S. Passports in one area and other Countries in Cosmos. 

 

I don't recall there being a separate queue. And the immigration officers boarded in Boston. It's wishful thinking to hope they will board in Southampton. :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

That's right Penney and Herb, Irish immigration officers came onboard in the Azores if I recall correctly. They told us they enjoyed their time onboard the ship!

 

Your names sound familiar - did you by any chance sign up to the Roulette Roll that I organised?

 

I am pretty sure I signed up for the Roulette Roll, if not, then I am signing up now.  How will we know when and where ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nikel said:

 

I am pretty sure I signed up for the Roulette Roll, if not, then I am signing up now.  How will we know when and where ?

Cant wait for this journey to begin.

Safe travels.

Norma

fullsizeoutput_48b9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, h20cruzer said:

Cant wait for this journey to begin.

Safe travels.

Norma

 

 

Almost ready to depart.   Tomorrow  around 1:00pm we leave for the airport.  

Lovely picture of you and your dog.   I sure miss mine that passed a couple years ago.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

exlpode.gif.8aec5c57b7906bc850f8134464c64e80.gif 

 

This is what I feel like after stuffing the suitcase all day. 

 

Suitcases are Packed -  All we need to do is drop in our shaving kits and toothbrushes after we use them tonight and tomorrow morning.  I just weighed them and we are well within our limits of 25 kg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to marine traffic Silhouette now is at Bilbao , she is scheduled to arrive at Southampton Nov 3 at 3:00AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

exlpode.gif.8aec5c57b7906bc850f8134464c64e80.gif 

 

This is what I feel like after stuffing the suitcase all day. 

 

Suitcases are Packed -  All we need to do is drop in our shaving kits and toothbrushes after we use them tonight and tomorrow morning.  I just weighed them and we are well within our limits of 25 kg 

 

 

Ha Ha love your picture. 

We are almost ready too... First time ever our luggage is under 40 lbs.  Just have to add toiletries.

Just hope the flight over is not too bumpy.

Safe travels and see you on the ship !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nikel said:

 

 

Ha Ha love your picture. 

We are almost ready too... First time ever our luggage is under 40 lbs.  Just have to add toiletries.

Just hope the flight over is not too bumpy.

Safe travels and see you on the ship !

Don’t forget you pack pack  with the passport 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Don't forget your passports.😁

 

Believe me -  That is on the top of my reminder list.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SEA DOGY said:

Don’t forget you pack pack  with the passport 

 I'm sure I will never live that one down.   Iain has already asked me that a couple times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Jim

 

Looking forward to your next blog. Entoyed the last one and was especially pleased to read your thoughts about the Alaska land tour that you took. We took this same itinerary in June {Mark was also our driver} and we loved it. But we had only cruised 7 times prior to that and loved getting the perspective of a veteran cruiser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gia2cats said:

Hi, Jim

 

Looking forward to your next blog. Entoyed the last one and was especially pleased to read your thoughts about the Alaska land tour that you took. We took this same itinerary in June {Mark was also our driver} and we loved it. But we had only cruised 7 times prior to that and loved getting the perspective of a veteran cruiser. 

 

Thanks so much.   

Alaska is such a huge state that even the short 3 day tour we took gave us a glimpse and a desire to see so much more of the state.   I am sure we will be back.    Maybe next time we will rent a car and explore in more leisurely way.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SEA DOGY said:

Don’t forget you pack pack  with the passport 

 

 

And nexus card...best $50.00 investment ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

According to marine traffic Silhouette now is at Bilbao , she is scheduled to arrive at Southampton Nov 3 at 3:00AM

 

So they have to go straight through the Bay of Biscay..no getting around it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gerelmx said:

According to marine traffic Silhouette now is at Bilbao , she is scheduled to arrive at Southampton Nov 3 at 3:00AM

 

Like mines think alike.    I just did a search and saw she was sitting in Bilbao.   I guess she has a day at sea before arriving Southampton.    My excitement is raising by the hour.   

 

image.png.90122890b099a007362a137249000531.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, nikel said:

 

 

And nexus card...best $50.00 investment ever

 

We have the equivalent of a Nexus Card - Global Entry.   In the U.S. our Nexus Card is only valid for travel to and from Canada and I believe Mexico but Global Entry is good for return travel worldwide.  The cost is $100.    The one thing I like about it is that you automatically get TSA-PRE.   They now offer an option that you can buy a Pre Card for $86.  

 

Having said that, about a year ago US Customs And Boarder Control implemented a FREE smart phone app called Mobile Passport.   When you set it up you scan you Passport and a add a current Photo which is stored.  You do your declaration like Global Entry but on your phone and when at the port you hit submit and it generates a BarCode that allows you to use the same lanes as Global Entry. 

Insert other media.url

Edited by Jim_Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm up and playing around on the internet to waste time until we leave for the airport around 1-1:30.    I was checking Flight Aware and can see that the inbound plane (AF84) is scheduled to arrive 40 minutes early.   The strange thing is they are showing our flight (AF83) departing and arriving 20 minutes late.    When checking AF they are showing an on-time departure and arrival.    Oh well I'll just keep an eye on it.  

 

Looks like they have filed a nice flight route to avoid any storms 

 

af83.jpg.524d7da84f2b2df9578cc0228707f6fd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked weather from a great site someone had posted.    This is the weather projection for Saturday. 

 

Weather.jpg.1a9a43fe650a84fa7e349646f9a8b735.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

We have the equivalent of a Nexus Card - Global Entry.   In the U.S. our Nexus Card is only valid for travel to and from Canada and I believe Mexico but Global Entry is good for return travel worldwide.  The cost is $100.    The one thing I like about it is that you automatically get TSA-PRE.   They now offer an option that you can buy a Pre Card for $86.  

 

 

Insert other media.url

I think Mexico uses something else called something like Sentri.  BTW, in Canada, the GE card lets you use the Nexus lane at the border and some airports.

 

Safe flights and great trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I think Mexico uses something else called something like Sentri.  BTW, in Canada, the GE card lets you use the Nexus lane at the border and some airports.

 

Safe flights and great trip.

 

Here in Mexico the Sentri is valid only for land crossing between Mexico and USA, Mexican citizens need to apply for Global Entry to be used in the Airports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...