The return of Cunard Pens

MarkBearSF

Do you mean the black and gold ones that are on your cabin desk along with a small notepad? When did they go missing on the QM2? They've always been available on the QE and QV recently. I sometimes bring them home.

34 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Do you mean the black and gold ones that are on your cabin desk along with a small notepad? When did they go missing on the QM2? They've always been available on the QE and QV recently. I sometimes bring them home.

They started disappearing on the Fashion Crossing (I believe) - When we were on the following Eastbound, they were not in the cabins and were going fast and they were basicaly gone (except for the ones missing the pocket clip) on the return to NY.  There were 21 days cruising Canada and a return Westbound after this with no deliveries expected in NY.

Reports from a month ago were that they were missing from all the ships in the fleet around that time - and the usual worries that this was another Cunard touch that was going away.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:40 AM, Yellow Virox Bucket said:

About 500 a day get nicked from the Maitre D' so don't expect Mont Blancs and a skillful purser to coexist on the same ship.

Also, the old ones were as cheap as the new ones and tended to disassemble themselves....

Hotels and other places love to give away their pens as a form of advertising.  Mont Blancs cannot be expected on any cruise line, even the fancy pants ones.  I would guess that Cunard is happy that their pens travel around the world as a form of advertising.  Don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Incidentally, the new ones are completely  biodegradable.

So ... not plastic then??
Unless they have a cardboard barrel and a refill cartridge that's fashioned out of a hollow blade of grass, I'm pretty sure that pens made of plastic and metal are not biodegradable.

10 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

I'm pretty sure that pens made of plastic and metal are not biodegradable.

I haven't seen the pens, but there are now a wide variety of compostable/biodegradable plastics. The opaque pen barrels would be a likely candidate.

We were on QV over the weekend - interestingly most of the pens accompanying the chits for the bar bills were generic biros. Not sure if that was because they were running short of the new pens - or just wanted to ensure the pens didn't disembark with the guests!