Cruise Critic Community
POA1

And... They're Back! Countdown Clocks That Is.

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Testing (Thanks for the step by step instructions with the superb graphics for those of us technically challenged - show me, don't tell me! Yes. ) 

I found it via a Google search. It's an old Cold Fusion file, hence the cfm extension. It's sitting in the vbulletin directory. 

But bookmark it to be safe. 

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong.  I followed all the steps but instead of the countdown clock I get the signature below ?

30 minutes ago, ris_scot said:

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong.  I followed all the steps but instead of the countdown clock I get the signature below ?

Head back to:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm

Fill in the Member Name field. Set the Sail Date using the Year, Month & Day drop down controls. Select the Ship from the Drop Down. Optionally, add a Message. Pick an image. 

Then, click the "Create Your Countdown Clock" button.

You should see a pop-up dialog box with your clock and a Copy/Paste box with something like:

[URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][IMG=https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=POA%201&date=12-16-2018&text=Be%20Alert.%20America%20needs%20more%20lerts.&ship=Zuiderdam][/URL]

Copy that code string and then past it in your signature.

It looks like you only got part of the code.

Thanks POA1, I gave that a go and I do copy and paste the full address but as soon as I hit save it changes to what you see.  I am using Microsoft Edge as my browser so will try it with a different browser and see if that helps.

Are you using the UK CruiseCritic? The URL in your signature looks like the .co.uk version.

I'm wondering if you might try manually changing the .co.uk to .com if that would fix it. 

54 minutes ago, ris_scot said:

Thanks POA1, I gave that a go and I do copy and paste the full address but as soon as I hit save it changes to what you see.  I am using Microsoft Edge as my browser so will try it with a different browser and see if that helps.

I just did a test post on the Test Forum and I was able to replicate your problem.  When I use cruisecritic.com, it works. When I use cruisecritic.co.uk, it breaks just like yours did.  See if you can manually change any instance of cruisecritic.co.uk in the copy/paste box to cruisecritic.com -- That ought to work.

2 minutes ago, ris_scot said:
  • POA1 you are a star.  I followed your guidance and now have the clock showing.  thanks again.

Glad to be of service. When I first read your post about the difficulty, I was on my phone. You cannot see signatures on the phone, so I had to go to my computer to take a closer look. 

I'm not sure why the UK server doesn't process the clocks properly, but I'm glad to I was able to figure it out. Enjoy your new clock. 

While you may have been able to find the page, more than likely they aren't advancing (actually counting down).  So, they are no longer official in that my team will not be able to help you with them going forward.

43 minutes ago, LauraS said:

more than likely they aren't advancing (actually counting down)

Well, mine is showing the correct days - so it is counting down.

17 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Well, mine is showing the correct days - so it is counting down.

It is. I refreshed the page, and your time updated. It should keep working unless CC decides to delete the Cold Fusion script that's powering the clocks. The issue is that no new ships will be added. However, that's pretty easy to override.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Vice%20C

Thanks so much for the ".com" workaround, it worked a treat, its the highlight of my day logging into CC and checking the forum (and my countdown 🙂 )