“Live from: Z and TB’s Fall Foliage Extravaganza”

Zqueeze1

3 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

Z,  I'm so glad you were taking notes on my 2013 Mariner Montreal-Miami blog, as it is the only Regent cruise we've done that Ginny announced afterwards she wanted to do again someday.  Just glad you didn't wait any longer, as there are no Regent Montreal-Miami offerings in 2019 or 2020 (we've settled for taking LB--Little Boss Shauna--on the October,  2019 Navigator Montreal-New York cruise).   Montreal-Miami has been our only two-wardrobe Regent outing to date--I recall temps ranging from near freezing in Montreal and Quebec to 86 in Miami the morning we disembarked.  But I think TB with her Mount Everest of suitcases is prepared.  Have a blast--I know I will following along!  (Plus a big hi to John and Karen!)

Rich

Yes - you can do Montreal_Miami on the Navigator in 2020:  10/18-10/30 is Montreal-NY followed by 10/30-11/15 NY-Miami.  A nice 28-day voyage - we are considering this one & bringing The Penguins.

We finally made it onboard yesterday.  But before we boarded, we had a little excitement. Being the worldly traveler and supreme planner extraordinaire, we arrived at the cruiseport as planned at 1110. That’s when everything turned into a the worst Murphy’s Law scenario. I almost had a heart attack when we couldn’t find our passports. We tore apart purses, luggage, carry-ons, and backpacks and rechecked everything. Our friend Karen comes over and asked if we had them during immigration which prompted me to realize that I had our passports in my back pocket!!  That’s when The Boss gave me her “what a maroon” look. I collected my pride from the floor and proceeded to sit and wait for checking in. 

Check-in was pretty painless. There was a line for named suites and upper level seven seas society members and a longer one for us riff raff in steerage. It took about fifteen minutes or so from lineup to champagne (Germaine). 

We proceeded up to La Veranda for lunch and it was very crowded especially since outside seating was closed. However, the prime rib was superb. 

Time to rant:  while standing in line for chow, a lady asked if she could sneak in to take a look then cuts in and starts to serve herself. Next, this guy slower than turtle express has a hissy fit because he wanted a hot plate for his meal. Really!?!  At least ask nicely. But wait, there’s more!!! He then complained when the plate was too hot and he had to use a napkin to hold it. If I had a katana sword, I would have done myself in on the spot. 

I met one of the guest speakers at the pool bar after unpacking. I’m not too sure what we spoke about because I had a nice rum buzz, but he graciously sent to our cabin an autographed copy of his book.

Dinner was excellent. We shared a table with Karen and John. I had the lamb chops and our waiter, Mario, threw in three lobster tails although I had asked for one. Thanks, Sheltieluv, for the tip on sitting in Mario’s station. 

After dinner, The Boss had me watch “the Book Club” which is definitely something I would ever watch. However, who am I to complain after the famous hidden passport stunt?  

Today is Quebec. We have an afternoon walking tour that I am seriously reconsidering since it is colder than hell. Of course, I am underdressed for the weather. 

Have a great day. 

Z and TB

57DFC177-399B-412D-ABAC-0F2E96F74459.jpeg

CEA2AA30-1C22-40F2-926C-4F1453476575.jpeg

Edited by Zqueeze1
Upload pics
  • Haha 1

I laughed out load about the La Veranda incident!   I am too easily annoyed with slow pokes and entitled passengers.    Although I don’t think cafeteria rules should apply to La Veranda.   I don’t want to wait in line and meander past salads as someone in front of me evaluates each piece of lettuce and sunflower seed in order to get to sandwiches or hot food.   Normally it’s not crowded enough to be a problem but it’s a different story on embarkation day with the pool grill closed.  

I too have read you embarkation post with a smile on my face and I have to admit that this is why we are thinking of boarding a little later as we go straight into four sea days, so plenty of time to relax and get sorted.

Will have to remember to ask to sit in Mario's section for dinner. Thanks for the recommendation.

Zqueeze1/Roberto & Pam;  belated Fair Winds & Following seas for your Fall Foliage voyage.  Enjoy your special cruise with your close friends—we will be checking in here from  Hawaii to Tahiti with tnr/Terri and Ray.

Wes & Ida

Z,  glad you found Mario!  The first night, he was all business with us, but quickly loosened up.  Probably because on the second night at dinner I commented how much I liked the Versace chargers (you know, those fancy plates on each table that are whisked away as soon as you are seated and cost more than my first year teacher's salary), and I was trying to stuff one down my shirt. He asked, "How many would you like?" And proceeded to hide one under his waiter's jacket.  On subsequent nights he always informed me that careful inventory would be taken after I left the dining room.  I'm sure the staff quickly discern who they can joke with, and who they can't,  such as Mr. Hot-plate in your above post.

Looking forward to reading your cruise adventures, and try to stay warm!😁

On 10/28/2018 at 7:33 AM, Zqueeze1 said:

I am a baseball addict. And even though the Red Sox are our sworn enemies, that’s a great gift. If we ever meet, I will tell you my story of the 2004 Playoffs (finals before the World Series) when I diverted a government plane so I could catch game seven between the Red Sox and my boys, the Yanks. 

Our friends are already waking up after their trip through Homer’s Odyssey (it’s after a very late arrival. I bet they will be cranky. 

Z and TB

Too bad you won’t be in Boston for our little parade....😉

9 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

. Our friend Karen comes over and asked if we had them during immigration which prompted me to realize that I had our passports in my back pocket!!  That’s when The Boss gave me her “what a maroon” look. I collected my pride from the floor and proceeded to sit and wait for checking in. 

I can totally relate!

Next, this guy slower than turtle express has a hissy fit because he wanted a hot plate for his meal. Really!?!  At least ask nicely. But wait, there’s more!!! He then complained when the plate was too hot and he had to use a napkin to hold it. If I had a katana sword, I would have done myself in on the spot. 

I can totally relate!

I met one of the guest speakers at the pool bar after unpacking. I’m not too sure what we spoke about because I had a nice rum buzz, 

I can .....well, you get the idea.

Bob

Rachel:  good to hear from you.  In this case, I was reaching out to one of the great American story tellers who helped me learn English as a kid in PR, the incredibly gifted elocutionist and humorist Bugs Bunny who would say “maroon” instead of “moron.”  

Z and TB

Good Morning:

We are in beautiful Saguenay, Canada today and ready for our early morning tour.  I hope the weather cooperates. Yesterday was a soggy day in Quebec where many folks cancelled their tours so as to avoid the cold, wet outdoors. Instead, we went for a nice walk through the old town with John. It actually turned out to be a nice relaxing day and I was able to crack open my book, “ the Book Thief,” while The Boss plowed through “Gone with the Wind” and worked on several New York Times crosswords. 

Some of you folks asked about the ship’s condition a few days ago. She has been spruced up during her last refit and everything seems to look in great shape. Lots of crew members around doing preventive maintenance and cleaning. She is, in fact, an older vessel with some of her bones creaking a bit. I will post a few pics today and tomorrow of common areas.  Our suite looks great with the new look which is more in like with the Mariner’s decor except for the crazy spaghetti carpeting in the Mariner’s common areas. 

As far as crew members go, one of our favorites is onboard. Risky is recently promoted to deputy head waiter which she so clearly deserves. She will be running the pool grill in the evenings as soon as the weather warms up. 

Dinner was, again, fantastic with some incredible ravioli and orange roughy fish. I cannot say enough about Mario and his assistant who are superb in their jobs. So far, we have been pleased with the wines being offered at dinner, although I am an oenophile, I do not have the sophisticated palate to discern quality as others can. The bottom line is that they taste and feel great and definitely better than the Mad Dog 20/20 I used to drink in college. Before you judge me, think about your days in school and what you imbibed in. In my case, I was a poor cadet who went for the biggest buzz for the bucks. 

One more thought. The internet has been fast and constant. I haven’t been kicked off once. Miracle of miracles. 

Z and TB

5A6D34C7-3740-478F-88FA-494CE07A0910.jpeg

922325A6-8709-4F09-8210-3A21E1EB7161.jpeg

0CDABEC5-C5C3-43A1-AF4B-4A5A73507355.jpeg

AF52E4C7-D4A1-4F3D-B265-7649F13DC6C2.jpeg

9E7952D2-6A01-443F-90EA-E2D5DF106444.jpeg

19EC6F9C-CFF0-49CB-91E3-69FFDA73431D.jpeg

EA8A812C-16D9-435F-8E4B-77ADBBBC8101.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LoonCall said:

Too bad you won’t be in Boston for our little parade....😉

Thank goodness for that! I would just die, my kids would deny me, and my wife would change her name. There is some sort of irony to the whole thing. As soon as we get to NYC, I am headed to the Bronx to tell the Steinbrenner family to forget about Manny Machado. We need pitchers not hitters. 

Z and TB

I’m sitting in the renovated Coffee Connection enjoying a club soda while The Boss is catching up on her beauty sleep. It is a hybrid venue serving all types of coffees and alcoholic beverages. 

This is the bar area along with seating on the starboard and port sides. Her61CEC4E7-D059-496A-8400-9B3EF29D7C5D.thumb.jpeg.3d9f08ace8e456baa8f935dcf2c07a70.jpeg42B24372-1356-498E-8C20-36F3ADC64661.thumb.jpeg.f0bb182fd2a9e06937db565bd9797385.jpeg

F991BA9F-69A8-42E6-B6C6-D56C50456313.jpeg

Here is the pool deck with some folks using the jacuzzi although it’s 36 degrees!

0588C5D5-7696-496B-B88F-3D140FA85EBC.jpeg

2BC54788-D8D8-436F-AD95-73EF043468DD.jpeg

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 2

We had a great day in Saguenay.  Little chilly ( high in 30’s) but no rain on us during our tour.  I have to say I find our Captain rather noncommunicative.  Miss the friendly updates from some past captains.  No big deal but a nice personal touch. 

Z and TB,  thanks for posting Mario's pic.  Brightened my day for sure!  I also love seeing all of your others pictures and wish we were onboard!

You may have to buy one of those red plaid caps with the ear flaps in order to survive the climate until you hit warmer waters!:classic_biggrin:

Glad you're having a good time.

16 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Rachel:  good to hear from you.  In this case, I was reaching out to one of the great American story tellers who helped me learn English as a kid in PR, the incredibly gifted elocutionist and humorist Bugs Bunny who would say “maroon” instead of “moron.”  

Z and TB

You are indeed a "moron", you Baboon. Seems to me , I had to return some lost passports to you once upon a time, but we won't talk about that now.

K