Cruise Critic Community
GUT2407

Any hints for first time on Jewel

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Really not cub different than most cruises.

the one suggestion I would make is if there is a restaurant you really want to go to, book.

it took about four attempts to get into Chin Chen, almost seems to defeat the whole freestyle thing.

Great outdoors is great for breakfast.

Visit the bridge viewing room.

I didn't know you could book Chin Chin, although we weren't too impressed by the Star's version of the same place.  We'll probably give it a go as we like Asian food.

I am keen on doing breakfast in the Great Outdoors, OH is a bit iffy as he doesn't like draughts! :)

I keep forgetting about the bridge viewing room, so thanks for reminding me.

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

You must be about ready to leave, have a safe journey and a wonderful cruise.

A day and a half of work to go, half a day to get organised, and then we're off.  Absolutely chopping at the bit.  Weather forecast here is for snow! Hope it stays away until we're well clear of the country. Sydney here we come...

We got off the Jewel last Friday having done a 13 night cruise from Sydney.

We have done some 25 - 30 cruises and have to say that this is up there with the best we've ever done.  The Jewel is like a new ship after the recent refurbishment.  Our balcony cabin was great, food was excellent, weather was perfect and the ship is beautiful and never felt crowded.

Our favourites in no particular order were:

Cagney's Steakhouse (we went there 3 times)

Le Bistro French (went there twice)

Teppanyaki (great food and a fun night)

The Great Outdoors (a great spot away from the noise and chaos of the Garden Cafe but with the same food)

Spinnaker Lounge (great views and very relaxing place during the day)

Hanging out around the pool with a nice drink from Topsiders Bar.

Stardust Theatre (a great theatre with great views from just about every seat)

Loved "Velvet" and "Rock You Tonight".  Both were top quality and very professional.

Chin Chin Chinese Restaurant (great food and complimentary)

Tsars Palace Dining Room (very elegant dining room with great aft views from the back of the restaurant)

Hopefully we will be back on the Jewel again next year although the itineraries from Sydney are not as interesting as this years and consist mainly of NZ which can be hit and miss with the weather.  We think the Jewel is perfectly suited to warm weather cruising but would not be so good in a cool climate if you enjoy using the pools (outdoor pools not heated and no indoor pool).  We love it out in the sun around the pool and sometimes that is not possible on a NZ cruise.

4 hours ago, MikeC1610 said:

We got off the Jewel last Friday having done a 13 night cruise from Sydney.

We have done some 25 - 30 cruises and have to say that this is up there with the best we've ever done.  The Jewel is like a new ship after the recent refurbishment.  Our balcony cabin was great, food was excellent, weather was perfect and the ship is beautiful and never felt crowded.

Our favourites in no particular order were:

Cagney's Steakhouse (we went there 3 times)

Le Bistro French (went there twice)

Teppanyaki (great food and a fun night)

The Great Outdoors (a great spot away from the noise and chaos of the Garden Cafe but with the same food)

Spinnaker Lounge (great views and very relaxing place during the day)

Hanging out around the pool with a nice drink from Topsiders Bar.

Stardust Theatre (a great theatre with great views from just about every seat)

Loved "Velvet" and "Rock You Tonight".  Both were top quality and very professional.

Chin Chin Chinese Restaurant (great food and complimentary)

Tsars Palace Dining Room (very elegant dining room with great aft views from the back of the restaurant)

Hopefully we will be back on the Jewel again next year although the itineraries from Sydney are not as interesting as this years and consist mainly of NZ which can be hit and miss with the weather.  We think the Jewel is perfectly suited to warm weather cruising but would not be so good in a cool climate if you enjoy using the pools (outdoor pools not heated and no indoor pool).  We love it out in the sun around the pool and sometimes that is not possible on a NZ cruise.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.  Our countdown clock has now shifted to hours, hope the weather gods are as kind as to you.

My husband and I are cruising Alaska on the Jewel in June! First time cruisers and we can’t wait. Taking some notes on this thread- so glad to hear some very positive experiences since the refurb! 👍

8 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

A day and a half of work to go, half a day to get organised, and then we're off.  Absolutely chopping at the bit.  Weather forecast here is for snow! Hope it stays away until we're well clear of the country. Sydney here we come...

But be prepared for H.O.T, here, been 40+c for a few days, but around where you’re staying you should get some sea breeze.

Also over in the Australian & New Zealand Cruisers forum I put up a review as a thread.

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

But be prepared for H.O.T, here, been 40+c for a few days, but around where you’re staying you should get some sea breeze.

I've been watching the weather like a hawk - and I must admit I'm not a fan of high humidity and scorching heat.  If it comes to it, I'll just dial down on the walking and include a lot more ferry rides.

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Also over in the Australian & New Zealand Cruisers forum I put up a review as a thread.

I've been reading everything ANZ, so much reading that I can't remember what I've read.  I'll go back and check it out, thanks.

Edited by Muckyduckway

Pretty sure you arrive tomorrow, have a great visit, I hope arrival at the HI goes smoothly with all the Aus Day activities.

59505951-7ED1-423C-BD2D-43AF11479E41.jpeg

Edited by GUT2407