Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ep010835

Milk Based Hot Chocolate

Recommended Posts

Wondering if the milk based hot chocolate (rather than made from powder and hot water) that I've read about being available at the IC, I believe it was, is included a part of the UNLIMITED SODA & MORE PACKAGE. 

 

Any of you more seasoned Princess cruisers know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Wondering if the milk based hot chocolate (rather than made from powder and hot water) that I've read about being available at the IC, I believe it was, is included a part of the UNLIMITED SODA & MORE PACKAGE. 

 

Any of you more seasoned Princess cruisers know?

I just remember the hot chocolate being made from powder & hot water . I just added some cream to make it taste a little better.

I had a coffee card so it was included. I never asked if they could make it with milk. I will The next time.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The package description reads:

 

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & More Package, entitling you to unlimited fountain soft drinks, plus mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise.

 

I would think that includes hot chocolate from IC so just ask them to make it with hot milk instead of water. It will still be from a packet but will be much nicer made with milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The package description reads:

 

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & More Package, entitling you to unlimited fountain soft drinks, plus mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise.

 

I would think that includes hot chocolate from IC so just ask them to make it with hot milk instead of water. It will still be from a packet but will be much nicer made with milk.

 

Hi Thrak,

 You forgot to add some Bailey’s Irish cream. 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

 

Hi Thrak,

 You forgot to add some Bailey’s Irish cream. 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

 

No  beverage package. 😞  After the 28 day last October and the 14 day in March which both had the PBP it will be sad to sail without the package. 5 cruises booked and none with the PBP. I totally loved it as a perk but I'm far too cheap to pay for it. Loved my morning Vanilla Latte with a shot of Jameson. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Jameson! Gah!

 

My friend Thrak  brushes his teeth with Jameson 😁 That’s only one of the reasons we all like him on The Rowboat 🚣🏼‍♂️.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you ask, they will make it with milk.  And YES, it is included with the Unlimited Soda and More package.

Edited by famski740

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

 

My friend Thrak  brushes his teeth with Jameson 😁 That’s only one of the reasons we all like him on The Rowboat 🚣🏼‍♂️.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

We'll I heard he was still teething.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We'll I heard he was still teething.

 

FUGHEDDABOUDIT 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat ,

Tony 🚣🏼‍♂️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always asked them to make it with milk at the IC.  Several times I saw them putting in some water and when I reminded them I wanted it with milk, they all stated they used a little water to blend it together to make it smooth and then added the hot milk.   And when I observed closer, this is what I always observed them doing.  They used the powder which was used for the flavored coffee drinks, but there was also hershey's syrup if you wanted them to use that.  I don't think it would be as rich as the powder.  I never saw them use the instant packages.

 

I have asked for hot chocolate at a couple of the bars which claimed to have it available, but it was always made from the instant pkgs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Jameson! Gah!

 

Jameson is great in a vanilla latte. On that particular cruise I mostly drank Talisker. I interspersed it with Chairman of the Board martinis and the occasional Tanqueray and Tonic. With the latte though, it was always Jameson. It "mixes" quite nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, Ep010835 said:

Wondering if the milk based hot chocolate (rather than made from powder and hot water) that I've read about being available at the IC, I believe it was, is included a part of the UNLIMITED SODA & MORE PACKAGE. 

 

Any of you more seasoned Princess cruisers know?

You'd think w/all the hot chocolate I drank and watched him make, I'd remember clearly... it's all fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it was heaping spoonful(s) of cocoa powder and steamed milk from that machine that makes a lot of noise, lol.  I got that from the IC on the Grand at least 2x day.  He looked up, saw me, and said, "okay, large hot chocolate, no foam."  It is free with the unlimited soda and more card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 7:11 PM, montgomeryfamily said:

I always asked them to make it with milk at the IC.  Several times I saw them putting in some water and when I reminded them I wanted it with milk, they all stated they used a little water to blend it together to make it smooth and then added the hot milk.   And when I observed closer, this is what I always observed them doing.  They used the powder which was used for the flavored coffee drinks, but there was also hershey's syrup if you wanted them to use that.  I don't think it would be as rich as the powder.  I never saw them use the instant packages.

 

I have asked for hot chocolate at a couple of the bars which claimed to have it available, but it was always made from the instant pkgs.

Having read threads discussing whether the hot chocolate was made with water or milk, I made it a point to notice.  They used the same process on the Golden this month.  When I asked the barista why he first added water to the several heaping scoops of powder, his answer was that it was easier to dissolve the powder in water.  Steamed milk was then added to the dissolved powder mixture.  There was Hershey’s syrup next to the powder but the hot chocolate made from powder tasted so good that I never tried it made with Hershey’s syrup.  We had exchanged our mini bar for two coffee packages for our 28 day cruise and the hot chocolate, as well as Mighty Leaf teas and fresh brewed coffee were all included as complimentary.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IECalCruiser said:

Having read threads discussing whether the hot chocolate was made with water or milk, I made it a point to notice.  They used the same process on the Golden this month.  When I asked the barista why he first added water to the several heaping scoops of powder, his answer was that it was easier to dissolve the powder in water.  Steamed milk was then added to the dissolved powder mixture.  There was Hershey’s syrup next to the powder but the hot chocolate made from powder tasted so good that I never tried it made with Hershey’s syrup.  We had exchanged our mini bar for two coffee packages for our 28 day cruise and the hot chocolate, as well as Mighty Leaf teas and fresh brewed coffee were all included as complimentary.

 

 

11 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

You'd think w/all the hot chocolate I drank and watched him make, I'd remember clearly... it's all fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it was heaping spoonful(s) of cocoa powder and steamed milk from that machine that makes a lot of noise, lol.  I got that from the IC on the Grand at least 2x day.  He looked up, saw me, and said, "okay, large hot chocolate, no foam." (that's ME!) It is free with the unlimited soda and more card.

 

Music to my ears! Thanks very much. 

 

Now this raises an interesting dilemma. Neither wife nor I drink coffee so I never considered swapping the mini bar for a coffee card. I've anticipated that we  swap for soft drinks in the fridge and buy an unlimited soda card for both of us. She's the soft drink person, I'm the hot chocolate person. Now I'm wondering If I wouldn't be bucks ahead getting the unlimited soda card for her and a coffee card for me. Especially now knowing that Mighty Leaf tea is also included. 

 

Think they might allow us to swap the entire contents of the mini bar for one soda card and one coffee card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a note to say there is no longer an "Unlimited Soda" card. You will need to buy the "Soda and More" package. It's great. $8.05 per day (including tax) and it includes mocktails in addition to soda. Pretty much the best value on Princess ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just a note to say there is no longer an "Unlimited Soda" card. You will need to buy the "Soda and More" package. It's great. $8.05 per day (including tax) and it includes mocktails in addition to soda. Pretty much the best value on Princess ships.

 

Just when I thought I was getting my arms around it, I'm now confused again. Your post says there is no longer an Unlimited Soda package/card. Yet, I just now copied this from the Princess website:

Unlimited Soda & More Package the Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and hot chocolate throughout the cruise.

What am I missing? Sounds unlimited to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

 

Just when I thought I was getting my arms around it, I'm now confused again. Your post says there is no longer an Unlimited Soda package/card. Yet, I just now copied this from the Princess website:

Unlimited Soda & More Package the Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and hot chocolate throughout the cruise.

What am I missing? Sounds unlimited to me. 

They got rid of the unlimited soda package. Hence the "AND MORE".

You are over thinking.   :classic_blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They got rid of the unlimited soda package. Hence the "AND MORE".

You are over thinking.   :classic_blink:

 

So then let me ask my original question modified to accommodate my overthinking:

Now this raises an interesting dilemma. Neither wife nor I drink coffee so I never considered swapping the mini bar for a coffee card. I've anticipated that we  swap for soft drinks in the fridge and buy an Unlimited Soda & More Package  for both of us. She's the soft drink person, I'm the hot chocolate person. Now I'm wondering If I wouldn't be bucks ahead getting the Unlimited Soda & More Package  for her and a coffee card for me. Especially now knowing that Mighty Leaf tea is also included. 

 

Think they might allow us to swap the entire contents of the mini bar for one Unlimited Soda & More Package  and one coffee card?

Edited by Ep010835

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

 

So then let me ask my original question modified to accommodate my overthinking:

Now this raises an interesting dilemma. Neither wife nor I drink coffee so I never considered swapping the mini bar for a coffee card. I've anticipated that we  swap for soft drinks in the fridge and buy an Unlimited Soda & More Package  for both of us. She's the soft drink person, I'm the hot chocolate person. Now I'm wondering If I wouldn't be bucks ahead getting the Unlimited Soda & More Package  for her and a coffee card for me. Especially now knowing that Mighty Leaf tea is also included. 

 

Think they might allow us to swap the entire contents of the mini bar for one Unlimited Soda & More Package  and one coffee card?

For $8 per day the soda and more package is a good deal IMO.

No they will only exchange for the coffee cards, and sometimes 1 bottle of wine. (usually under $40)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

They got rid of the unlimited soda package. Hence the "AND MORE".

You are over thinking.   :classic_blink:

Colo:  Is it just a name change or did something (restriction, etc.) actually change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, Lucky TGO said:

 

Hi Thrak,

 You forgot to add some Bailey’s Irish cream. 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Want a very interestng taste to it put a shot of Creme de Menthe in it and you have a Peppermint Patty taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...