transatlantic temperatures in August

ConnMom

• My husband and I will be  on an eastbound transatlantic on the QM2 on August 18-25.  Are we likely to find temperatures that are warm enough on deck for summer clothing - i.e. shorts, short sleeves -  or should we anticipate cooler days in the north Atlantic? We have selected a sheltered balcony for some protection from wind, but i am wondering if we might prefer an open balcony at  that time of year?
  •    Also, are the pools outside except for the spa pool?

3 hours ago, ConnMom said:
  • My husband and I will be  on an eastbound transatlantic on the QM2 on August 18-25.  Are we likely to find temperatures that are warm enough on deck for summer clothing - i.e. shorts, short sleeves -  or should we anticipate cooler days in the north Atlantic? We have selected a sheltered balcony for some protection from wind, but i am wondering if we might prefer an open balcony at  that time of year?

`it won't be hot.  On sunny days temperatures will probably be in the 60s, Fahrenheit, cooler when cloudy or raining.  A sheltered balcony is good for sitting outside.  While strolling on the promenade (and you really need to do this, it's a great walk!), you may need a wind breaker.  I never go to the pools, so I will let someone else advise on that.  The TA experience is terrific, but it's not a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

I agree with tv24 above; only to add that there are two "outside" pools (decks 8 and 6) , an "indoor" pool under a sliding glass roof (deck 12) and the indoor spa pool (deck 7).

The deck 12 pool's glass roof is almost never opened, certainly not on a transatlantic crossing.

Here are photos of the pools:

Spa Pool on Deck 7

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075985696/in/album-72157627503155752/

Pavilion Pool on Deck 12

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075471043/in/album-72157627503155752/

Terrace Pool on Deck 8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/32807093945/in/album-72157676774009275/

Pool on Deck 6

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6078477207/in/album-72157627503155752/

The Pavilion Pool area under the glass roof on Deck 12 is always warm for lounging about, reading a book etc. There is a bar in one corner, and besides the pool, there are two "hot" tubs.

Hope this helps.

Stick to the Sheltered Balcony , they were designed for transatlantic crossings in all types of weather.

You will still be able to enjoy some fresh air and also see the ocean ( when standing or walking around in your cabin ) Hardly anyone sits out on an open balcony when crossing the Atlantic,  I've given up on them, and not forgetting  if you are on a much higher deck  (eg 11/12 etc) you'll even have difficulty trying to open the balcony door. 

On a warm/sunny day  the promenade  deck is the place to sit, relaxing on a traditional steamer recliner reading a good book or, if you are like me I never get past the first page , too busy just gazing out to the ocean.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Stick to the Sheltered Balcony , they were designed for transatlantic crossings in all types of weather.

You will still be able to enjoy some fresh air and also see the ocean ( when standing or walking around in your cabin ) Hardly anyone sits out on an open balcony when crossing the Atlantic,  I've given up on them, and not forgetting  if you are on a much higher deck  (eg 11/12 etc) you'll even have difficulty trying to open the balcony door. On a warm/sunny day  the promenade  deck is the place to sit, relaxing on a traditional steamer recliner reading a good book or, if you are like me I never get past the first page , too busy just gazing out to the ocean.  

Excellent advice from Bell Boy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4660512697/in/album-72157623936817859/

14 hours ago, ConnMom said:

We will be joining you on that voyage !! We are doing the round trip out of Southampton  from Aug 9th !

It will also depend on the track the Captain chooses; once awhile back we were on a very northern track and it was cold mid-ocean, but 93F when we left NY and broiling hot when we got to Southampton. Also it’s hurricane season so you may be treated to a bit of rocking and rolling! Enjoy!

13 hours ago, tv24 said:

We did a round trip TA on Queen Mary 2 about 6 or 7 years ago in August.  Left on 8/16.  We had fabulous weather (warm outside by the pool) for 12 of the 14 days; it was absolutely fantastic.  Weather crossing the atlantic though can be iffy so definitely no guarantees.

Many thanks to everyone for your informative responses and photos.  I will be sure to be prepared for wind and cool weather, and am now convinced that the sheltered balcony is a good choice.  We selected the 5th deck, as I do  not like the movement on the  top decks, so hopefuly we will be able to spend some time sitting outside.  And I will bring my supply of remedies for mal de mer, in case the Atlantic remembers that it is not the Mediterranean.

I loved seeing the photos.  These are the first  that I have seen of the ship, and they are beautiful. The pool area on deck 12 is especially appealing; even though I almost never go into the water on cruise ships, I love to sit on the deck reading, while my husband  enjoys the pool and hot tub.

This is my first post on the Cunard boards, but I have already learned a lot from Cunard veterans.  We are not new to cruising, but the QM2 seems very special, and we have not experienced Cunard's degree of formality, so we are ready for an elegant adventure.  

Fizzy,  It is nice to hear from a fellow traveler.  I started a roll call for this trip, but there are very few responses.  Have you traveled with Cunard before?

When we arrive in Southampton, we are embarking on the Celebrity Silhouette for a Norwegian fjords cruise. Then we plan to wrap up with a few days visiting London before flying  home. 

22 hours ago, ConnMom said:

I just made a 14-day return crossing in late August / early September, and I have sailed professionally in the North Atlantic. The temperatures I saw were between 14°C - 24°C (58°F and 75°F) but it can also get hotter on occasion. There were certainly folks sunning on deck and swimming outdoors on the nicer days.

You will find that there will be hot days with smooth waters; there will be misty, foggy and rainy days; and there will be days with wind and choppy seas. Of course the ship generates its own relative wind of about 22 knots (41 km/h or 25 mph).

On the nicest days you will want shorts and t-shirts and you may wish to swim and sun on the aft deck, which is sheltered from wind. On the worst days a hoodie and/or windbreaker is usually sufficient on deck, or stay off the open decks during those times if you prefer.
Note that passengers are excluded from some open deck areas during high winds. Personally I found the policy overly-conservative, but then I'm not a liability lawyer for a ship full of potentially-litigious elderly/frail passengers.

I'm told that sheltered balconies are popular but I quite enjoyed my open balcony (BF 12-001). 

I spent many hours (day and night) lounging on the balcony - from where I watched dolphins, whales and flying fish and even caught a bit of Sun - and I kept my sliding door wide open whenever I was in the cabin. I loved the fresh sea air while sleeping, and found the sounds of the waves very relaxing. Barely a paper was rustled by the wind, but just in case I still made sure that everything was secured against blowing overboard.

Only the Deck 13 "penthouses" are higher and the high forward cabins are subject to the most motion (low decks and slightly aft of midships would be the least), but I did not mind at all. On my 2 voyages the worst we experienced was Force 7 near-gales and a couple of days of moderate swells (maybe 2.5 - 3 metres), during which I noticed just enough pitching motion to rock me gently to sleep. Any rolling motion was largely counteracted by the ship's deployable stabilizer fins.

If you are concerned about motion sickness, remember that you are on one of the largest and most stable passenger ships in the world. Fretting about the motion is often worse psychologically than simply embracing it, but there are numerous effective means (pharmacological and holistic) of combatting any minor mal-de-mer that you might experience.

Should you choose to stick with your sheltered balcony booking, I nonetheless suggest monitoring the fare prices right up until your deposit becomes irrevocable ... I had booked my August departure in about April and received a 40% discount, so you might still find opportunities to upgrade at no additional cost.

TheHello

I have been on countless crossings during the Summer.   You can reasonably expect the temps to be anywhere from the high 50s to mid 70s.  The picture below was taken in July.   Have fun.

Deck Chair

europe trip QM2 2013 110.jpg

Edited by deck chair

20 hours ago, ConnMom said:

Fizzy,  It is nice to hear from a fellow traveler.  I started a roll call for this trip, but there are very few responses.  Have you traveled with Cunard before?

When we arrive in Southampton, we are embarking on the Celebrity Silhouette for a Norwegian fjords cruise. Then we plan to wrap up with a few days visiting London before flying  home. 

This will be our 3rd trip on QMary 2, but the first one since her refurb . Wonderful experience . Interested to read you are on  Silouette !! Jusg got back from 14 days round the Med on her !! Wonderful ship, wonderful food, wonderful service. Second time with Celebrity. First time we were on Eclipse. Just the same     

Hello, CCG, Your enthusiasm is infectious, and I was very happy to read your description of the QM2 as one of the most stable ships at sea.  I love cruising, in spite of being very sensitive to motion,, and have used a variety of remedies over the years.  I have had much better luck lately, though, and am hoping that a combo of more mature sea legs and larger, newer ships might enable me to travel anywhere with a free spirit, even in rough conditions. 

I am checking the fares periodically.  That is good advice.  Thank you.

Cheryl

Fizzy,

I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed the Silhouette.  We have traveled a lot with Celebrity, but have not been on any of the Solstice class ships and have read mixed reviews.  I have never been on a cruise ship I haven't liked, but both the QM2 and the Silhouette seem very special.  Our voyage is still 10 months away, but I am having so much fun reading about everything and making plans.