Room Cleaning Changed to Once a Day?

On 10/28/2018 at 11:45 AM, AlexanderBeetle said:

Today, the room hasnt been touched yet and it's quarter to 3. Just seems very off compared to all previous cruises. 

If the room hasn't been cleaned by 3 pm, something is very wrong or there is a huge disconnect somewhere.  I agree best you call housekeeping and ask about it.   

7 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Idk why I’m thinking that they don’t vacuum the rooms as often as they used to do before. They do clean the bathroom etc but vacuum cleaning is not really enforced. I had a piece of paper near the closet room and it never moved frkm

tje floor. I also had an Advil that I unintentionally dropped and was there the whole week. Maybe it’s consistency but now I rarely hear the vacuum clean noise from anybstaterrom as we walk by the walkways.  

We noticed that one cruise when there was a Noro breakout - turns out that when they go full Code Red they stop vacuuming the carpets to limit the microbe-sized debris that goes airborne. Once the restrictions eased the vacuum cleaners came back out.

I've been told by Executive Housekeepers that when a ship gets additional staterooms, they do not add stateroom attendants.  Each stateroom attendant gets more staterooms to service, so, unfortunately, the stateroom attendants  are getting busier as ships go through dry docks.

17 hours ago, WinksCruises said:

I've heard about this behavior occurring when the room steward's been informed a passenger has asked guest services to remove their tips. Not saying OP did this, just reporting what I've heard...

No we certainly didn't do that. I don't think I could ever remove tips.

Anyhow, we are on day 4 and having a blast. We did get a late evening turn down on day 2. I overheard that one of the attendants was sick in our area so I'm chalking it up to our guy just having a rough turn around day and covering for him for a couple days. 

Yesterday service was exactly as we normally have experienced, which is awesome. Today is the same. He's been attentive to the few requests we've had (breakfast order forms and wine glasses).

On a completely different topic, TVs were put in the Schooner on Adventure. Schooner is probably our favorite place to hang out in the evening. It's just a strange feel when half the room is cheering/sighing over a football game while the other half is singing along with the piano player. One of these things just doesn't belong... 🙂

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, AlexanderBeetle said:

No we certainly didn't do that. I don't think I could ever remove tips.

Anyhow, we are on day 4 and having a blast. We did get a late evening turn down on day 2. I overheard that one of the attendants was sick in our area so I'm chalking it up to our guy just having a rough turn around day and covering for him for a couple days. 

Yesterday service was exactly as we normally have experienced, which is awesome. Today is the same. He's been attentive to the few requests we've had (breakfast order forms and wine glasses).

On a completely different topic, TVs were put in the Schooner on Adventure. Schooner is probably our favorite place to hang out in the evening. It's just a strange feel when half the room is cheering/sighing over a football game while the other half is singing along with the piano player. One of these things just doesn't belong... 🙂

The TV's.

On 10/30/2018 at 4:01 AM, mcatmcat said:

Idk why I’m thinking that they don’t vacuum the rooms as often as they used to do before. They do clean the bathroom etc but vacuum cleaning is not really enforced. I had a piece of paper near the closet room and it never moved frkm

tje floor. I also had an Advil that I unintentionally dropped and was there the whole week. Maybe it’s consistency but now I rarely hear the vacuum clean noise from anybstaterrom as we walk by the walkways.  

Seriously???

You are dropping something and you don´t pick it up, but watch it for a whole week???👎👎👎

3 hours ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Seriously???

You are dropping something and you don´t pick it up, but watch it for a whole week???👎👎👎

Lol- I completely do that at work to see if they vacuum.  It’s a fun little experiment...  peanut was once in work carpet for over 3 months 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/1/2018 at 8:45 AM, BillHana said:

We go on a cruise to enjoy the experience. Why would we want to test the crew?

I am not testing them I just want to know what he is doing or not, thats better than leaving my ipad open recording everything so I stick with the piece of paper lol

On Voyager out of Sydney this past March, we left the room on day 2 at 8.30am and left the sign out and by 3pm our room had not been cleaned. First RCL cruise (although had cruised with Celeb and Carnival before), I wondered if we had put the sign in its little holder incorrectly, so at around 3.30, I called housekeeping who told me the attendant was attending training and running late ...I was fine with that but it would be good if RCL had communicated that to us, rather thn ave us have to call ...we were in the new (added rooms) on L13 on Voyager. During our cruise, the stateroom was cleaned daily but we never had anything replaced in the room without having to try and catch the attendant, who never introduced himself (unlike out previous cruises), so whether he was overworked I am unsure, in the end, hubby just found his trolley in the hallway and replenished soap etc himself...was a it disappointing, but we didn't let it spoil our cruise, however we did direct our additional tips elsewhere whereas normally we have always tipped the attendant.

On one of our cruises a few years ago, I don't remember what ship, our room was cleaned only once a day. It was while we were at dinner. It really didn't bother us. We never saw that room attendant at all. Every other cruise it has been done twice a day.

12 hours ago, juda said:

During our cruise, the stateroom was cleaned daily but we never had anything replaced in the room without having to try and catch the attendant, who never introduced himself (unlike out previous cruises), so whether he was overworked I am unsure, in the end, hubby just found his trolley in the hallway and replenished soap etc himself...was a it disappointing

You should have reported to housekeeping.  They cannot fix issues, if they do not know of them.

13 hours ago, juda said:

On Voyager out of Sydney this past March, we left the room on day 2 at 8.30am and left the sign out and by 3pm our room had not been cleaned. First RCL cruise (although had cruised with Celeb and Carnival before), I wondered if we had put the sign in its little holder incorrectly, so at around 3.30, I called housekeeping who told me the attendant was attending training and running late ...I was fine with that but it would be good if RCL had communicated that to us, rather thn ave us have to call ...we were in the new (added rooms) on L13 on Voyager. During our cruise, the stateroom was cleaned daily but we never had anything replaced in the room without having to try and catch the attendant, who never introduced himself (unlike out previous cruises), so whether he was overworked I am unsure, in the end, hubby just found his trolley in the hallway and replenished soap etc himself...was a it disappointing, but we didn't let it spoil our cruise, however we did direct our additional tips elsewhere whereas normally we have always tipped the attendant.

I agree that I would have called housekeeping if my room was not serviced. However, I noticed you mentioned soap - never had replaced daily - shower soap is in the dispenser and the small cake for hand washing lasts a while.  Towels are replaced if you leave on the floor. Most ships I have sailed have a sign saying if you hang up they are not replaced - Save the Waves program. 

Just curious as as to what was not replenished. Have always found steward to be good in that area; replacing toilet roll or spare etc. 

To clarify re the last 2 comments We reported to housekeeping late on the second day as per above, when we had seen no one and wondering if we were doing something wrong in terms of the "make up room" card and wondering where our attendant was so we could meet him/her and learn their name. He came whilst we were at dinner I think, the second day   - then the next morning,  I left a friendly little note saying hello :) and requesting a robe and also letting him know the shower dispenser was empty ...I did get my robe, but we were provided with small soaps (only 2!)  and shower dispenser remained empty the whole cruise - we did not see him again or indeed meet him for the rest of the cruise, just saw his trolley outside other rooms at various times... Hence hubby replenished from the trolley himself when the two soaps wore out and we'd been without tissues for 2 days...bins were also only emptied maybe once every 2 days. None of this was a huge deal to us and we loved our cruise, but compared to other ships when attendant came in and introduced himself to us and we learned each other's names and had never had an issues, it was something that surprised us.

Just off the Allure, I must have missed the memo on "turndown service." Is that literally just turning your bedsheets down? We had the do not disturb sign out most evenings, flipping it over when we left for breakfast and the room was usually cleaned when we got back. So once a day was good enough for me, just wanted clean towels and the garbage emptied!

37 minutes ago, l12345 said:

Just off the Allure, I must have missed the memo on "turndown service." Is that literally just turning your bedsheets down? We had the do not disturb sign out most evenings, flipping it over when we left for breakfast and the room was usually cleaned when we got back. So once a day was good enough for me, just wanted clean towels and the garbage emptied!

Evening is when the stewards usually turn down bed - they sometimes remove decorative bed runner; freshen up bathroom and replace any necessary towels; empty garage; make decorative towel animals and leave Cruise Compass for following day. 

On 10/30/2018 at 3:30 AM, WinksCruises said:

I've heard about this behavior occurring when the room steward's been informed a passenger has asked guest services to remove their tips. Not saying OP did this, just reporting what I've heard...

Well, I would certainly be removing my tips if my room didn’t get cleaned.

Currently on the Symphony transatlantic. We’ve had no problems with our stateroom attendant, he’s doing a great job. He told us that this week he’s been required to attend a meeting each morning that delays him and that with his reduced cleaning time it’s harder to accommodate the guests’ preferences for taking care of their cabins while they are at breakfast. He’s responsible for 14 cabins including an AquaTheater suite that takes him about an hour to clean. He’s been working his butt off. In the meantime his supervisor has asked us at least twice if everything is okay. As long as we put out the sign on the door everyone’s happy.

We got off the ship on Sunday. The whole trip was fantastic and the room steward was great. I think it was just a hiccup in the beginning of the cruise.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:11 PM, l12345 said:

I think we were in St. Maarten with your ship. Also saw Allure in Fort Lauderdale when we were leaving.