Elite cocktail hours extended...permanent change

ghstudio

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

But it can't be proved there is a cost savings. Every evening that the lounge was open many Elite members do not go to the lounge. Only a subset. When I sailed with freinds who were not Elite we hardly went to the Elite lounge. With the option of having the drinks at any bar/lounge or the dining room more drinks may be poured. May not be a savings at all.  So the change will make the perk less atractive to those who down more than 3 drinks in two hours the change be fine with those who have lthree or less drinks which is a reasonable number and can have them at any bar and the dining room. On a recent RCI cruise where they also load 3 drinks on the card we had a mixed group of Diamond members and not. We had our drinks before dinner in the Schooner Lounge. Since the friends could not go to the Diamond Lounge, without those drinks loaded on the card we would have purchased all our drinks. My experience is that the change is an enhancement of the perk. Of course I will admit I would never have more then three drinks in a two hour period and we also usually don't spend a whole two hours in the lounge. Only an hour or an hour and a half at most. Lot of other things happening onboard.

It's nice you can speak for yourself and not everyone else.  What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others.  

I think we all need to remember that this is a perk being given - many lines give less... Don't look a gift horse....

The only tweek I agree should be made is  to extend the time to the late dining people - which I am one.   We usually go to the Sky lounge anyway and then go back to our stateroom to change for dinner.  It would be nice to have one drink with dinner.  :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, neilrr said:

I think we all need to remember that this is a perk being given - many lines give less... Don't look a gift horse....

The only tweek I agree should be made is  to extend the time to the late dining people - which I am one.   We usually go to the Sky lounge anyway and then go back to our stateroom to change for dinner.  It would be nice to have one drink with dinner.  :classic_biggrin: 

You can still have a drink with your dinner. Celerity buys three (6) you buy one (2). 

Edited by davekathy

I like the change...I had a real problem with the hostess standing at the door of the lounge making sure no one was taking their drink out...

she also insisted that if you wanted a  can of coke...it had to be poured into a glass....then that glass could not be taken out...the fear was that maybe you would take this can of unopened coke and have it for lunch....a big NO NO....

she lasted that only sailing....was either fired or had a nervous breakdown...many complained and wrote...I was one of them...

we left celebrity because of the poor food quality in the MDR on 3 consecutive cruises...2 on Infinity and one on Eclipse...although the food in the Oceanview Cafe on the Eclipse was outstanding...

I got really roasted for my views on that one...the hosts had to step in many times and calm foaming at the mouth posters...finally just ending the topic...with my gratitude...

I applaud anyone who takes their dollars elsewhere if not satisfied and that they are not afraid to say so here...

by the way, we may be back if a good itinerary comes up......if there is no improvement in the MDR...we are prepared to eat at the buffet...

but for the next few years we are on Viking O, new for us and Oceania that we have sailed before...

Always interesting to see the unexpected directions a thread will go, and this one didn’t disappoint! 

How can it be proved that there is a cost savings or not for the Line unless you are part of that company? 

- I do agree this change will cost Celebrity more, but prove?? There are probably more drinks served to Elites using the 3-drink cards then unlimited for the oriignal 5:30-7pm Happy Hr. But just my guess. Some didn’t go to the Lounge for various reasons; some only stayed a little while, etc. Now with the many options including at dinner available, I’d assume most get the full 3 drinks. 

How is a goodie given by some Loyalty program a loss to me if it’s modified?

- Loyalty programs keep changing, some add benefits, some take away or modify/limit it. But its not a loss since even though I’m Elite+, I’m not one because I was focused on the bene’s but because I wanted to go on a cruise and Celebrity was (and is) my Line of choice. Heck, went on an RCCL cruise and got loyalty Diamond level and hadn’t cruised with them at all. And yes, I know they are in the same corporate mix. 

Loyal to a Line??

- Not sure anyone is ‘loyal’ to Celebrity or any other Line. Celebrity Currently/Right Now/At This Point in My Life meets what I’m looking for in vacationing. Loyal? Nope. Enjoy? Yup. Cheerleader? Give me a break. That’s a word used by someone without an good argument and uses it as a putdown. I’ll disagree with someone and they will call me a cheerleader because I defended some Line. Silly. 

My personal plus and minus of this new program: 

- The plus: I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, and this will provide it free - I would have bought it, now it’s ‘free’ (yes, I understand how we pay for ‘freebees’), and I will probably use all 3 instead of being limited due to main dining.

- The minus: I enjoy getting with others who love cruising (as we know, many ‘Elites’ aren’t Celebrity-focused, but come from many RCCL cruises and so on) and don’t have to worry (too much) about running into the ‘eternal complainers/nitpickers ’.

enough. Im going to go enjoy a ‘free’ glass of wine from a bottle friends brought over.....ooops, it isn’t free, we gave them dinner!! It better be a good vintage or I won’t invite them again!! Hurumph!!

Den 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

But it can't be proved there is a cost savings. Every evening that the lounge was open many Elite members do not go to the lounge. Only a subset. When I sailed with freinds who were not Elite we hardly went to the Elite lounge. With the option of having the drinks at any bar/lounge or the dining room more drinks may be poured. May not be a savings at all.  So the change will make the perk less atractive to those who down more than 3 drinks in two hours the change be fine with those who have lthree or less drinks which is a reasonable number and can have them at any bar and the dining room. On a recent RCI cruise where they also load 3 drinks on the card we had a mixed group of Diamond members and not. We had our drinks before dinner in the Schooner Lounge. Since the friends could not go to the Diamond Lounge, without those drinks loaded on the card we would have purchased all our drinks. My experience is that the change is an enhancement of the perk. Of course I will admit I would never have more then three drinks in a two hour period and we also usually don't spend a whole two hours in the lounge. Only an hour or an hour and a half at most. Lot of other things happening onboard.

We have always found the Sky Lounge to be crowded for the Elite Happy Hour.  

I rarely drink more than three glasses of wine during happy hour.

We did our first RCI cruise as Diamond, due to being Elite, and it was great.  Happy Hour was from 4:30 until 8 and you could drink all you wanted in the Diamond Lounge then go outside and order three drinks on your card, even in the MDR before 8.

8 hours ago, buckeyecruisers said:

So if I have followed the posts correctly, those of us with late seating dinner wont be able to use our elite status for a drink with dinner?

It's refreshing to see someone returning to the original topic of this thread 🙂

There really are four changes:

1) On the reflection, and perhaps some other ships, the elite cocktail event has been extended to 4:30-7:30pm

2) Many, if not all of Celebrity's ships have converted to 3 drinks per elite passenger during those hours using electronic coupons on your sea pass card...and usable at many bars and all dining rooms. (world class bar and cellar masters are excluded on all ships...some ships may also exclude the martini bar...the reflection does not exclude it).

3) The sky lounge may not be limited to elites on your cruise....all drinks go on your bill....the system automatically charges 0 for those drinks purchased with the coupons.  No coupons or as always, off the elite drink menu, you get billed.

4) In the past, you were "not allowed" to take an elite party drink out of the sky lounge.  With coupons, you can take your drink anywhere you want.....including a glass of wine to dinner (or just order the wine in the dining room during the elite hours.

The only way to enjoy "free" elite drinks with dinner if you have late dining is to order a glass before 7:30 and bring it with you to dinner. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nancyshaw said:

we left celebrity because of the poor food quality in the MDR on 3 consecutive cruises...2 on Infinity and one on Eclipse...although the food in the Oceanview Cafe on the Eclipse was outstanding...

but for the next few years we are on Viking O, new for us and Oceania that we have sailed before...

Hi there  nancyshaw - If you think the food is bad on Celebrity go on NCL or MSC. :classic_sad:   Celebrity, Princess and Holland are about as good as it get for the mid-priced cruise lines. Food is always subjective. Personally, I am a fussy eater and the food on all three are fine, though I am partial to Celebrity. 

Once you start looking at Oceania and Viking you are talking $5,000 -$10,000PP - per cruise. They are at at different level on par with Azamara, etc.. We have been on Oceania twice - two trans-atlantics - one was wonderful (the 2nd one) and the other was terrible. We only gave them a second try after several years due to the itinerary and pricing. The difference on the 2nd was Oceania started going after the younger retirees that had some life in them and not with noses in the air. The first cruise if you spoke at the pool your were frowned upon for talking and no music allowed at pool.  We would only go on them selectively again.

Happy cruising!!!

neil....I would never do NCL or some others for many reasons, food being just one consideration...

as for the higher pricing on the others...once  you add air, all the tours, internet etc..it is only a bit more...worth it for us to have excellent food...Oceania is rated first in food quality with Viking O a near second...

we were so disappointed with Celeb the last 3 cruises , that we are certainly willing to pay more to get more and better....

to the poster who is upset that this is derailing the original topic...just ignore...

Are there any drinks that are not included in the classic drinks package?

we are elite and have never used the lounge or coupons , as we always have the drinks package included  ( all cruises except the first one) It not an option to not have it when booking in the UK.

i assume there wont be any martini's included?

not been able to get basic ones made at the martini bar, even with the classic package, had to go to the passport bar,

1 hour ago, bogofman said:

Are there any drinks that are not included in the classic drinks package?

we are elite and have never used the lounge or coupons , as we always have the drinks package included  ( all cruises except the first one) It not an option to not have it when booking in the UK.

i assume there wont be any martini's included?

not been able to get basic ones made at the martini bar, even with the classic package, had to go to the passport bar,

Hi bogofman - There are certain liquors and drinks like martinis (at the martini bar) that are not included due to price under the classic package. We have never used coupons or had drinks loaded before on Celebrity either.  They may make you a standard martini as part of the 3 drinks loaded. Good luck!!! 

2 hours ago, nancyshaw said:

neil....I would never do NCL or some others for many reasons, food being just one consideration...

as for the higher pricing on the others...once  you add air, all the tours, internet etc..it is only a bit more...worth it for us to have excellent food...Oceania is rated first in food quality with Viking O a near second...

we were so disappointed with Celeb the last 3 cruises , that we are certainly willing to pay more to get more and better....

to the poster who is upset that this is derailing the original topic...just ignore...

Rather than ask posters to ignore an off topic post, it may be more productive for you to start a thread about the topic you with to discuss. That way you can have a discussion about your topic of choice and find more fellow cruisers with whom to discuss it.

13 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Currently on the Silhouette - you cannot get the Elite Captain’s Club drinks in the dining room and the hours remain 5:00-7:00. You can get a drink on the Captain’s Club menu (up to three) at any bar except the World Class Bar. 

At least the change is consistently inconsistent within the fleet. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Currently on the Silhouette - you cannot get the Elite Captain’s Club drinks in the dining room and the hours remain 5:00-7:00. You can get a drink on the Captain’s Club menu (up to three) at any bar except the World Class Bar. 

Were you dining between 5:00-7:00pm when you tried to use the free drinks?

3 hours ago, CEOofVacation said:

3 hours ago, CEOofVacation said:

Yes we asked and the answer was no. 

On 11/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, Denny01 said:

Always interesting to see the unexpected directions a thread will go, and this one didn’t disappoint! 

How can it be proved that there is a cost savings or not for the Line unless you are part of that company? 

- I do agree this change will cost Celebrity more, but prove?? There are probably more drinks served to Elites using the 3-drink cards then unlimited for the oriignal 5:30-7pm Happy Hr. But just my guess. Some didn’t go to the Lounge for various reasons; some only stayed a little while, etc. Now with the many options including at dinner available, I’d assume most get the full 3 drinks. 

How is a goodie given by some Loyalty program a loss to me if it’s modified?

- Loyalty programs keep changing, some add benefits, some take away or modify/limit it. But its not a loss since even though I’m Elite+, I’m not one because I was focused on the bene’s but because I wanted to go on a cruise and Celebrity was (and is) my Line of choice. Heck, went on an RCCL cruise and got loyalty Diamond level and hadn’t cruised with them at all. And yes, I know they are in the same corporate mix. 

Loyal to a Line??

- Not sure anyone is ‘loyal’ to Celebrity or any other Line. Celebrity Currently/Right Now/At This Point in My Life meets what I’m looking for in vacationing. Loyal? Nope. Enjoy? Yup. Cheerleader? Give me a break. That’s a word used by someone without an good argument and uses it as a putdown. I’ll disagree with someone and they will call me a cheerleader because I defended some Line. Silly. 

My personal plus and minus of this new program: 

- The plus: I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, and this will provide it free - I would have bought it, now it’s ‘free’ (yes, I understand how we pay for ‘freebees’), and I will probably use all 3 instead of being limited due to main dining.

- The minus: I enjoy getting with others who love cruising (as we know, many ‘Elites’ aren’t Celebrity-focused, but come from many RCCL cruises and so on) and don’t have to worry (too much) about running into the ‘eternal complainers/nitpickers ’.

enough. Im going to go enjoy a ‘free’ glass of wine from a bottle friends brought over.....ooops, it isn’t free, we gave them dinner!! It better be a good vintage or I won’t invite them again!! Hurumph!!

Den 

Great post Den.  Thank you.

19 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I guess you could leave the dining room, go to a bar, get your drink and bring the drink back into the dining room.

Seem rather dumb to have to do that, but that's Celebrity for you.

Thanks TeeRick. Sometimes when a benefit is modified and the change is a positive for the great majority, we are disappointed because it doesn’t add what we want. The 3-drink tickets/on the card has been around for years. Now the staff can plan on this approach instead of waiting to see how many Elites are booked to decide. 

And there are are more than a few ways to get a drink at dinner now: part of 3-drink package at dinner; if not allowed, get it walking in; if too late.....buy one. 

Den