Something new in the MDR

Bollycats

I was on Ruby last week and discovered something new. In the MDR for all meals they now ask for your cabin number. At first my paranoid self thought they were tracking what I was eating! But the waiter said it's in case someone leaves something behind so they know where to send it. Not sure I believe that.....

Also, they ask each person if they have any dietary restrictions. I guess then they can let you know if anything you order contains something prohibited. Good idea!

These may not be new, but I haven't seen anyone on these boards talking about it so I thought I'd mention it.

Not certain if the OP is speaking about TD or ATD.

We have been asked in ATD where I can see a possible need, but you are also checked at the door on entry.

I see no need in TD. Staff knows the cabin numbers and the people at their tables.

1 minute ago, skynight said:

Not certain if the OP is speaking about TD or ATD.

We have been asked in ATD where I can see a possible need, but you are also checked at the door on entry.

I see no need in TD. Staff knows the cabin numbers and the people at their tables.

Yes, it was ATD. They never asked if I was assigned to ATD when I showed up to get a table---TD diners could have been coming in for all they knew!

It was breakfast and dinner that they asked. Maybe it WAS to verify I was an ATD and they are policing it. Who knows?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Considering the many posts about MDR people eating in the ATD venue, maybe it is to prevent ATD people from sneaking into the MDR in retaliation.

LOL!!!

DON

And here we all thought the AT dining room WAS a MDR.  And ARD people could walk into the designated MDR

A portion of the gratuities you pay is divided up by the restaurant waiters , stateroom stewards, and onboard staff/crew. by asking for your cabin number, they know who your waiter was and to give them those tips. Other cruise lines do the same thing when you go the MDR if you have the any time dinning. 

Edited by shof515
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bollycats said:

Yes, it was ATD. They never asked if I was assigned to ATD when I showed up to get a table---TD diners could have been coming in for all they knew!

It was breakfast and dinner that they asked. Maybe it WAS to verify I was an ATD and they are policing it. Who knows?

If the head waiter looked at cruise cards, they could tell if the passenger was signed up for anytime dining or traditional dining.

For my last 5 cruises, and likely before that, I have always been asked my cabin number in the dining room for dinner.  And each time I was in ATD.  

I have also been asked to show my cruise card a few times at the beginning of the cruise but not so often toward the end.

Also, when I have cruised Holland, each evening when we entered the dining room we were asked our cabin number and it was notated. 

So basically this is nothing new.  Its more likely that you are just now noticing.  They likely don't ask for cabin numbers in the TD since there is a seating chart that they can refer to with assigned seats that lists the cabin numbers. 

Nothing new. They have been asking for cabin numbers for years. We were told it is in case there is a complaint about the server, they would know where it came from. I’m sure you could collect a variety of reasons. 

Cheers, Denise 

4 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

We were asked in August on the Sapphire. It only happened in the MDR at breakfast time. We were told it was to see how popular the dining room was for breakfast.

Or they could just count heads!

• Like 1

We too were asked to see our cards (we were ATD) before given a pager for dinner.  Cocktail time!! :classic_biggrin:

That only lasted like the first 5 nights (19 day cruise).  After that, they recognized us with no problem.

I was surmising with the hubby that the staff were trying to make sure that people went to their assigned meal times (traditional vs anytime).  One night we had a couple who said they missed their traditional dining time and they let them sit with us (8 top table) in anytime. So it does happen. Dinner was still pretty good 🙂

I have also seen people who missed early seating because of a delayed tender - in Cabo the winds came up big time and they halted tender operations for over an hour.  The head waiter asked if they could join our table since we had room.

44 minutes ago, Nein2 said:

It is all bout tips.  Nothing more.

I can't even figure out how that would work. AFAIK, standard gratuities are pooled, then paid out. It's not like ATD waiters get paid based on how many people they serve.