I am traveling with 6 other friends on the Celebrity Equinox on January 19th.  Our first Port of Call is San Juan.  Has anyone been there lately?   What is the condition?  We arrive at 3:30pm and leave at 11pm.   We had a Food and Walking Tour with Celebrity but they canceled it and we are ready to book similar Private Tour with "Flavor of San Juan and Culture Tours".   Has anyone been to San Juan lately and can report on the condition?   Anyone take the reference tour?

We were there in August, on the RCCL Oasis. We only saw the OSJ tourist area and all that was fine, up & going.   Anywhere else, we just didn't even try because of reports of bad road conditions. We wanted to go to Dorado, but settled on OSJ (again).

My hubby & I vacationed in PR in late August/early September in '16 & '17.  Beautiful island & such a wonderful time. We stayed in Dorado & Fajardo. We left Dorado last year about a week before the Hurricane circled back & devastated the Island. 😳😢.  We're looking forward to returning, perhaps 2020. 

🌸🌸 Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

I'm from the island and everything is fine, the roads are fine, Old San Juan and vicinity areas are fine. The only place that is still partially closed is the National Rain Forest El Yunque due to some mayor reconstruction of the main visitors center, but they do have another center open while they finish up the main one. Come and visit us, you won't regret it. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:14 AM, chino303 said:

I'm from the island and everything is fine, the roads are fine, Old San Juan and vicinity areas are fine. The only place that is still partially closed is the National Rain Forest El Yunque due to some mayor reconstruction of the main visitors center, but they do have another center open while they finish up the main one. Come and visit us, you won't regret it. 

I'm also from PR and have to second this. PR is back and you'd  be hard pressed to find signs that the island was leveled just over a year ago by hurricane Maria. Recovery at El Yunque is till underway but remember that they work around nature, not the other way around so that takes much more time. Otherwise your free to safely explore the whole island.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, hdbscruiser said:

Cruise.  Ship Time in Port: Arrive 10:00am Depart 6:00pm.  We want to know what should not be missed. Thanks. 

Puerto Rico is a big island so and real "island" tour is not really feasible. But there are lots of things to do in Old San Juan itself (that's where you'll dock). I'd say you should not miss the forts. You get a pass for both forts for less than $10 per person and you can walk from one to the other since it's only about a mile distance. With your time yo can easily do both. I always suggest you start at San Cristobal which is closer to the ship and an easier walk than to El Morro from the pier. After San Cristobal, cross over to El Morro and explore the shops and restaurants in the old city on your downhill walk back to the ship.