Transatlantic Southampton round trip-day in New York questions

smokey01

Hi,

What tours do Cunard do for the New York day when doing a back to back Transatlantic from Southampton, and also at what price?

What is the earliest in transit passengers can get off the ship and what is the all aboard time?

Will we need to check in again at New York or do we just get on the ship as you would at any other port?

There are a couple of tours on offer, one is to Macy's and they pick you up again a few hours later. Another is an open top bus tour. They're not cheap.

You're far better doing your own thing especially as the new ferry from Red Hook to Wall Street is now operational.

All aboard is 16:30, but you will still have to first queue for security and then you go straight on board.

Here is the list of New York shore excursions that were offered on July 1, 2018.

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

8:30am-2:30pm, $99 Adult, $76 Child (High)

New York Insight & Top of Rockefeller

8:15am-3:45pm, $108 Adult, $78 Child (Medium)

New York Highlights

8:00am-12:00pm, $76 Adult, $49 Child (Low)

Open Top Bus & Skyline Cruise

9:00am-2:30pm, $89 Adult, $79 Child (Low)

Manhattan Transfer to Macy's

7:30am-3:30pm, $49 Adult, $49 Child (Low)

Currently on QM2 and we left the ship at 0645 to an empty customs hall and were through in no time and on the ferry and arrived in Wall St at 0730. Had to be back onboard for 1630 but we were earlier than that. Recommend anyone using NYC Ferry from Red Hook (short walk from ship) to take credit card as well as cash because the machine would not accept cash on the day only credit cards but returning from Wall St there was no problem using cash in machines there.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:42 AM, BigMac1953 said:

There are a couple of tours on offer, one is to Macy's and they pick you up again a few hours later. Another is an open top bus tour. They're not cheap.

You're far better doing your own thing especially as the new ferry from Red Hook to Wall Street is now operational.

All aboard is 16:30, but you will still have to first queue for security and then you go straight on board.

We are on the 26 night QM2 Xmas cruise arriving in NY for the day on the 22nd December before heading for the caribbean.  Being so close to Xmas we want to avoid the shops and plan to buy fast track tickets for the Ground Zero museum, planning to take the Red Hook ferry to Wall Street. My questions are: 1)How do we get from the cruise terminal to the ferry and how long will it take, and 2) what is the distance between the Wall Street ferry terminal & Ground Zero and how do we get there (is it walkable?). Thanking you in advance.

The ferry is only a 2-3 minute walk from the cruise terminal. The World Trade Center Memorial is only an 18 minute walk from the Wall Street ferry terminal (a little less than a mile).

Hope you enjoy thee museum. I'm a fan of the above-ground memorial space, but I was hesitant to visit the below-ground museum. I finally booked a tour, and found it to be one of the best tours I've taken. It's certainly emotional, but amazingly well done. If possible, I highly recommend booking tickets in advance for a tour of the below-ground museum.

1 hour ago, steve1young said:

The ferry is only a 2-3 minute walk from the cruise terminal. The World Trade Center Memorial is only an 18 minute walk from the Wall Street ferry terminal (a little less than a mile).

Hope you enjoy thee museum. I'm a fan of the above-ground memorial space, but I was hesitant to visit the below-ground museum. I finally booked a tour, and found it to be one of the best tours I've taken. It's certainly emotional, but amazingly well done. If possible, I highly recommend booking tickets in advance for a tour of the below-ground museum.

Thank you for your quick response. I will now look on line to book a tour of the museum.

26 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Do you know the cost of the Red Hook ferry? Is it possible(or quicker) to get to the World Trade Centre Memorial by underground?

$2.75 per person one-way (same as the subway cost).
It is bit of a walk to the station and then a lengthy subway ride with a transfer to the 9/11 memorial and museum. On the Manhattan side, it's about as far to the nearest subway station (Wall St.) as it as to the memorial. The ferry is much more convenient and the same cost.

9 hours ago, steve1young said:

Hi Ann, What he said. Plus, you can use a cc at the ticket machine at the ferry terminal, or simply use the NYC Ferry app, which I recommend. It's actually pretty cool, as far as those types of apps go. Enjoy! Steve

If I use the NYC ferry app are the tickets downloaded to the phone so that you don't need WIFI or a phone connection? As I have a UK mobile I am presuming I will have no phone network or internet connection on my phone.

Edited by smokey01

On 11/2/2018 at 12:08 AM, steve1young said:

Hi Steve, It's me again. I have now found a walking tour to the 9/11 memorial and museum but the starting point is St. Paul's chapel. How far is this from the Wall Street ferry terminal. TIA

Hi Ann, St. Paul's Chapel is just East of the 9/11 memorial site, so figure about a 16 minute walk from the Wall Street Ferry Terminal. St. Paul's Chapel is a very moving place to visit. I haven't been there in a while, but I'm welling up just thinking about it. I'm interested in hearing more about the walking tour you found. Cheers, Steve

On 11/9/2018 at 6:50 PM, steve1young said:

Hi Ann, St. Paul's Chapel is just East of the 9/11 memorial site, so figure about a 16 minute walk from the Wall Street Ferry Terminal. St. Paul's Chapel is a very moving place to visit. I haven't been there in a while, but I'm welling up just thinking about it. I'm interested in hearing more about the walking tour you found. Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve. Thanks for the info. Btw it was me Vera, not Anne who asked. I have now booked the 9/11Memorial and Ground Zero walking tour with 9/11 musuem. I booked it through TripAdvisor but it's supplied by Viator. Thanks again for your help.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, steve1young said:

Ditto to how steve1young describe the feeling.

Being a survivor that morning's attack on 9-11, how beautiful they designed the memorial site. If you get a chance try to include the Museum at the site. It will truly give you a the true meaning and visible results of the attack itself. A true reflection of what was experienced that morning.

If you are walking from the Wall Street Ferry/Staten Island Ferry you can walk thru Battery Park and view the Sphere with it's memorial flame that once stood in the middle of the World Trade Center Plaza till that morning. It was moved to that site but was thought to be included in the memorial but space was not available. You will see the damage to it from the falling building debris.

Enjoy NYC, the Big Apple..... 

31 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

Is it possible to walk from pier 11 to the Staten Island Ferry terminal?

Google Maps is telling me it is an 8 minute walk but I am wondering whether the road is actually walk-able or just suitable for cars?

It quite walkable - there is a sweet level underpass to 'South Street' crossing under the limited access FDR Drive. To the right [3 QM2 lengths] is the South Street Seaport, and the left [4 QM2 lengths] is the Staten Island Ferry terminal. If you have reserved a Liberty Island ferry ride, the Statue Cruises terminal is one more QM2 length into Battery Park.