MSC

Guest Olivers Mom

Guest Olivers Mom

Having complete my first cruise with MSC after 33 other cruises, I must say  I wont be going MSC again. What a disorganized and poorly run ship but I believe that comes from the parent company procedures. From housekeeping to food to staffing it was such a mess. The food was repetitious,  and frankly disgusting with meat like shoe leather and mushy seafood that was inedible, pizza with the soggy crust day after day and nothing served at the appropriate temperature ( cold was hot and hot was cold). Bar tenders couldn't mix simple drinks correctly. The buffet doesn't include ice cream or cookies which are a basic staple dessert on any line we have ever sailed.

I thought maybe I was expecting too much but after talking to many people on board from Australia , New Zealand, South Africa, Germany as well as the US all of them who are avid cruisers and what I was thinking about the cruise was what they were thinking. 

They sold us their cruise saying they were wanting to break into the US Market. They even made us " Black" members of their Voyager Club which is their highest category of membership because they wanted to match our status with other lines that we sailed. What a joke that was as thye really didn't even live up to what they offer their "Black: card holders.

I say buyer beware if you chose MSC. They have a very long way to go to match even the basic service on  all of the lines like Disney,Celebrity etc. We actually call it Miserable Cruise Line after spending 22 days on board.

50 minutes ago, Olivers Mom said:

Having complete my first cruise with MSC after 33 other cruises, I must say  I wont be going MSC again. What a disorganized and poorly run ship but I believe that comes from the parent company procedures. From housekeeping to food to staffing it was such a mess. The food was repetitious,  and frankly disgusting with meat like shoe leather and mushy seafood that was inedible, pizza with the soggy crust day after day and nothing served at the appropriate temperature ( cold was hot and hot was cold). Bar tenders couldn't mix simple drinks correctly. The buffet doesn't include ice cream or cookies which are a basic staple dessert on any line we have ever sailed.

I thought maybe I was expecting too much but after talking to many people on board from Australia , New Zealand, South Africa, Germany as well as the US all of them who are avid cruisers and what I was thinking about the cruise was what they were thinking. 

They sold us their cruise saying they were wanting to break into the US Market. They even made us " Black" members of their Voyager Club which is their highest category of membership because they wanted to match our status with other lines that we sailed. What a joke that was as thye really didn't even live up to what they offer their "Black: card holders.

I say buyer beware if you chose MSC. They have a very long way to go to match even the basic service on  all of the lines like Disney,Celebrity etc. We actually call it Miserable Cruise Line after spending 22 days on board.

They doing very well on US market . Thank for your opinion , some people love NCL but I think its most discussing line ever and will not cruise with they even for free. 

That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. As I was just commenting on another thread, my family has had nothing but great cruises with MSC. We've cruised Divina twice, and our voyage aboard the Seaside is coming in June 2019. Before MSC, we were strictly Disney Concierge cruisers. But, now that my daughters are older (25, 20, & 18) we have fallen in love with the MSC Yacht Club. Dollar for dollar, I personally rank MSC higher than Disney Concierge. Sure there are certain areas where Disney out shines MSC (and everyone else for that matter), but all things considered I put MSC on the top of my list.

But again, this is just my opinion based on my family's experience. I see they didn't meet your expectations and that's unfortunate, because cruise vacations are not cheap. 

41 minutes ago, max996 said:

That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. As I was just commenting on another thread, my family has had nothing but great cruises with MSC. We've cruised Divina twice, and our voyage aboard the Seaside is coming in June 2019. Before MSC, we were strictly Disney Concierge cruisers. But, now that my daughters are older (25, 20, & 18) we have fallen in love with the MSC Yacht Club. Dollar for dollar, I personally rank MSC higher than Disney Concierge. Sure there are certain areas where Disney out shines MSC (and everyone else for that matter), but all things considered I put MSC on the top of my list.

But again, this is just my opinion based on my family's experience. I see they didn't meet your expectations and that's unfortunate, because cruise vacations are not cheap. 

You cannot compare the YC experience with the experience outwith the YC!

6 minutes ago, hamrag said:

You cannot compare the YC experience with the experience outwith the YC!

Agreed, but my intent was not to compare their MSC experience with mine. Only sharing my experiences with MSC Yacht Club and comparing it with my experience with Disney Concierge. As I said, all things considered (in my opinions only) I rank MSC Yacht Club ahead of Disney Concierge. I can't compare my MSC cruise with that of the original poster because I wasn't there.

A few things of note between the two, however: The Top Sail Lounge on Divina (and Seaside) is head and shoulders above the Concierge Lounge on the Disney Fantasy. The YC Pool Deck - again way above the Concierge Sun Deck aboard the Fantasy. The YC Restaurant has no comparison on any Disney ship because there isn't one. Yacht Club passengers have all beverages included in the price ship-wide; not so with Disney.

Having said all that, I repeat that there are things you can't get anywhere else except Disney. And my family has had some truly "Magical" vacations with Disney Cruise Lines and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. But, I'm glad MSC came along when they did because it provided the perfect transition to continue our family cruise vacations now that everyone has grown up.

I see you mostly sail NCL, as I once did also.  Perhaps you took on too much choosing a 22 day Med/TA as your first MSC experience.  While I have not cruised MSC in Europe or a TA I find it difficult to believe the food  quality on those itineraries is very different than what is served from US departures, which I have experienced several times now.  Food is always subjective, but I rank MSC food pretty close to that of NCL MDR food.  NCL has had the advantage with specialty restaurants  but that has been getting much closer with MSC's newer ships and NCL's menu cutbacks. 

On the other current Divina thread you chastise MSC for poor itinerary and port timing.  That is a bit hypocritical as you knew the itinerary and port times when you booked, I saw no last minute changes made.  As an experienced cruiser I expect you would have done at least some prior research into this.  I feel the same is true regarding the claim of chaos at NY and Miami due to customs/immigration/CDC inspections.  I can't think of any recent repositioning cruise ending in the US not having significant delays and inspections, that is a given to most experienced cruisers.  Losing TV on a TA is also pretty common, I am not familiar enough to say if it was a satellite coverage issue or if, as I've read, they had to reset the reception bands. 

Your complaint about staff, particularly new staff, not knowing answers is valid.  I do agree and think MSC is having difficulty staffing so many new ships each year.  The unprofessional claim I think may be partially wrong, again I think this may be a getting used to a European line thing.  It looks like you are quite well traveled and in my travels I have noticed a pretty big difference in US vs European hospitality professional's demeanor that often gets interpreted as rudeness.  I will say that on MSC rudeness will be answered by rudeness, otherwise I have always found most MSC staff quite willing to help. 

Regarding the lack of alcoholic beverages in NY I fully put that on MSC for poor planning, I hope they remember this for the upcoming Meraviglia sailings.  Collect the taxes in port and pay off NY.  I can honestly understand a lot of your frustrations if you were expecting this to be like NCL.  My first MSC cruise was a bit of a steep learning curve, I'm glad it was only a week.  I will soon be going on my sixth giving me 51 days on board MSC.  There have been problems but I have found both the staff and corporate interested in making things right and it shows they value my business - a feeling I lost with NCL. 

I would also be interested in the cost of this cruise versus a comparable itinerary/cabin on NCL.  I do not consider myself a budget cruiser, but even with the little irritations of MSC and the things I miss from NCL I find MSC's overall value for the money to be far superior.  This goes for standard cabins to the suites.  Hopefully time will heal your memories and perhaps you will consider MSC again on a more traditional itinerary. 

• Like 2

Guest Olivers Mom
1 minute ago, Até said:

I see you mostly sail NCL, as I once did also.  Perhaps you took on too much choosing a 22 day Med/TA as your first MSC experience.  While I have not cruised MSC in Europe or a TA I find it difficult to believe the food  quality on those itineraries is very different than what is served from US departures, which I have experienced several times now.  Food is always subjective, but I rank MSC food pretty close to that of NCL MDR food.  NCL has had the advantage with specialty restaurants  but that has been getting much closer with MSC's newer ships and NCL's menu cutbacks. 

On the other current Divina thread you chastise MSC for poor itinerary and port timing.  That is a bit hypocritical as you knew the itinerary and port times when you booked, I saw no last minute changes made.  As an experienced cruiser I expect you would have done at least some prior research into this.  I feel the same is true regarding the claim of chaos at NY and Miami due to customs/immigration/CDC inspections.  I can't think of any recent repositioning cruise ending in the US not having significant delays and inspections, that is a given to most experienced cruisers.  Losing TV on a TA is also pretty common, I am not familiar enough to say if it was a satellite coverage issue or if, as I've read, they had to reset the reception bands. 

Your complaint about staff, particularly new staff, not knowing answers is valid.  I do agree and think MSC is having difficulty staffing so many new ships each year.  The unprofessional claim I think may be partially wrong, again I think this may be a getting used to a European line thing.  It looks like you are quite well traveled and in my travels I have noticed a pretty big difference in US vs European hospitality professional's demeanor that often gets interpreted as rudeness.  I will say that on MSC rudeness will be answered by rudeness, otherwise I have always found most MSC staff quite willing to help. 

Regarding the lack of alcoholic beverages in NY I fully put that on MSC for poor planning, I hope they remember this for the upcoming Meraviglia sailings.  Collect the taxes in port and pay off NY.  I can honestly understand a lot of your frustrations if you were expecting this to be like NCL.  My first MSC cruise was a bit of a steep learning curve, I'm glad it was only a week.  I will soon be going on my sixth giving me 51 days on board MSC.  There have been problems but I have found both the staff and corporate interested in making things right and it shows they value my business - a feeling I lost with NCL. 

I would also be interested in the cost of this cruise versus a comparable itinerary/cabin on NCL.  I do not consider myself a budget cruiser, but even with the little irritations of MSC and the things I miss from NCL I find MSC's overall value for the money to be far superior.  This goes for standard cabins to the suites.  Hopefully time will heal your memories and perhaps you will consider MSC again on a more traditional itinerary. 

I have sailed much more with Celebrity and Holland America than NCL. In fact we were on Celebrity  as back to back just prior to this cruise. I have had good and bad experiences on all the lines we have sailed but none like this. After 33 cruises I can honestly say this was just a disaster. Basic common things like toilet paper, room cleaning  and sanitation were all lax along with the slop food they served. All you had to do was look at the food going back uneaten every night in the dining room. Our waiters were even saying how sorry they were about the food but they could only serve what was given to them. Had one server say don't blame me I am getting off this ship tomorrow and never coming back.

I thought MSC was expensive.  We have sailed in all kinds of cabins on the different lines we have sailed other than things like Yacht Club or Haven on NCL . On this one4 we had an Aurea Balcony and we were given a Black Card ( Their highest class of Voyager Club) but basically we had nothing we don't get on Celebrity even at a lower class of their Captains Club. We had a concierge at our call 24 hours a day on Celebrity as well. The rooms was about the same size on all the lines for balconies for all lines.

Most of the staff told us they had come from other lines as MSC was paying more money but ones we talked to said liked working on Royal Carribean and Disney much better than MSC. 

Bermuda- no I didn't check what time the ferry ran and I suppose I should have but one doesn't really expect a ship to arrive in a port just as the stores all close for 2 of the 3  days we are there and leave about the time they open the last day. Particularly on a Transatlantic where you have sailed 5.5 days unexpectedly. ( we bought it because it had no more than 3 sea days in a row but they changed itinerary out of Lisbon to go to Canaries instead of Azores) Then sold 2 day ferry tickets that were not usable. We asked what time ferries ran etc. They said when we dock check with Tourist Info Center. Unfortunately that was also closed as well.

The problem with immigration in both NY and Miami were caused by the ship. They failed to inform people in advance that when they got off in NY they could not get back on until everyone was off the ship. There were people in 45 degree weather in shorts and t-shirts and in wheelchairs stuck on the docks. In Miami their staff could not get the doors aligned  with the dock holding everything up. Other than the shi9p caused problems both immigration and disembarkations were easy. 

We met others on board for whom this was a second chance for MSC- they agree it was going to be the last chance. I doubt we would go again  even if it was a free cruise. It was that bad. Mostly I wouldn't go as their were no notifications, no explanations and the lack of just basic service. And just plain lies they were telling to everyone. Never seen anything like it in over 50 plus years of traveling.

BTW- the put up a sign the last few days on the bar saying that they were adding an additional 7% to everyone's alcohol bill once they sailed from Miami. Not sure what that was all about as we got off in Miami.

4 hours ago, Olivers Mom said:

Thanks for the review, sorry you are so unhappy.  I will find out for myself in 2 1/2 weeks when we sail the Divina for 32 days.  Your expectations are quite different than mine. It does not bother me that they don't have ice cream or cookies on the buffet, I plan on eating the gelato I have heard so much about that is included with our cruise.  Also, no tv, I would never notice since we don't watch tv on a cruise. I must admit that you are the first person I have ever seen to say that they did not like the pizza.  All I have ever read is rave reviews of the pizza.  Keep saying I have to check out that pizza and see for myself.

On a 22 day cruise the food in the MDR will be repeated because I do not believe that I have ever been on a longer cruise that does not repeat the menus at some point.

What did MSC offer for Black Status (black card holders) that you did not receive? I am curious about this since we are Black status also.

I seen you stated on another thread that MSC is not ready for the US market and that they have only ever been to US twice, not  sure why you would state that since MSC has been sailing in the US since 2013 and the Divina was here year round I believe from 2013 until around 2015 and now they go back during the summers and come here during the winter months.

A cruise is what we make it and as I have said in the past I have been on some cruises that had a lot of issues but I have never had a bad cruise.  I do not plan on comparing MSC with NCL, Carnival, Celebrity or Princess because I hope they are different and from what I hear they are exactly what we are looking for.  Like I said, will find out for myself.  Hope you are happier with your future cruises.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

How is it the fault of MSC because Homeland security wanted the ship cleared ? Take that up with Mr Trump and those responsible. I am finding it difficult to understand that a so called seasoned cruiser thinks it possible to do the crossing in 3.5 days! Nor am I convinced on what you say about the food.

MSC is not for you accept it and move on.

• Like 3

Guest Olivers Mom

I was invited to meet with the Cruise Director- he  told me and every one there that this was their first real entry into the US market. He wanted our opinions and advice. Also I was sold this cruise by an MSC Representative on the basis that this was their first real entry into the US Market. I know the ship did go to the Caribbean but apparently that was not their "official  entry into the US Market". They even changed out all the beverages when we left NY to different brands- Why " because they were officially entering the US Market starting in Miami". Only going by what they met with us and told us. i don't know and don't care anymore about what they did or will do. As an experience travelers who travels 3-4 months or more out of the year I expect honesty from those to whom I pay my money. 

The gelato is ok and expensive if you have to purchase it  as many people had to do. We were Black card so got it free but most folks are not Black card holders. My point of that statement was not to say I had to have cream it was to say all other ships do have ice cream in the buffet  routinely so that everyone can have some even those who chose the buffett rather than the dining room.

I also don't watch TV during the day but would like to be able to catch up on the news before I go to sleep each night. There was a hurricane potentially  affecting family and I would have like to have been able to check the status. I don't really know of anyone who watches TV other than to check up on news, stock market and other similar items. MSC had no news available from anywhere where for most of the journey. We also had days that it was rainy and cold  outside and very little to do- it would have been nice to have had an option to see something. However the point was they "lied" about why it was not working. They kept saying we will have it tomorrow and tomorrow and when we finally discussed with the IT guy he confirmed they just didn't buy the coverage for the trip. They knew from the beginning they would not have it available.

Guest Olivers Mom
17 minutes ago, sidari said:

where is it the fault of MSC because Homeland security wanted the ship cleared ? Take that up with Mr Trump and those responsible. I am finding it difficult to understand that a so called seasoned cruiser thinks it possible to do the crossing in 3.5 days! Nor am I convinced on what you say about the food.

MSC is not for you accept it and move on.

Homeland Security had nothing to do with it. In Miami the MSC couldn't even get their door aligned with the dock for over an hour.

In New York the issues were failure to tell all on ship that you could not get back on til ship was cleared. People were stuck on shore with no coats, in wheelchairs etc

Immigration was the same as it always is at any US port. You get in line and take your turn. 

The problems were all with MSC lack of control of the process for passengers to follow in exiting and lack of information distributed to the passengers. 

I didn't talk to one single person on the ship that thought the food was good and I talked to a lot of them. Believe what you want  but that was my experience and that of a lot of others. I never once had a meal that in the dining room where  everyone at the table was able to eat what they ordered. Shrimp that was clearly spoiled- even the waiter agreed with that. Steak that looked like shoe leather and was impossible to eat. Everyone at the table sent that back.  Also having to return food because it was cold, inedible etc. Cold salad served on hot plates, Hot meat served on cold plates. Every single day the buffett had the same items for 22 days. It was atrocious. Met a lady with many sai9lings on MSC and she agreed it was horrible. 

Guest Olivers Mom
Just now, Olivers Mom said:

Homeland Security had nothing to do with it. In Miami the MSC couldn't even get their door aligned with the dock for over an hour.

In New York the issues were failure to tell all on ship that you could not get back on til ship was cleared. People were stuck on shore with no coats, in wheelchairs etc

Immigration was the same as it always is at any US port. You get in line and take your turn. 

The problems were all with MSC lack of control of the process for passengers to follow in exiting and lack of information distributed to the passengers. 

I didn't talk to one single person on the ship that thought the food was good and I talked to a lot of them. Believe what you want  but that was my experience and that of a lot of others. I never once had a meal that in the dining room where  everyone at the table was able to eat what they ordered. Shrimp that was clearly spoiled- even the waiter agreed with that. Steak that looked like shoe leather and was impossible to eat. Everyone at the table sent that back.  Also having to return food because it was cold, inedible etc. Cold salad served on hot plates, Hot meat served on cold plates. Every single day the buffett had the same items for 22 days. It was atrocious. Met a lady with many sai9lings on MSC and she agreed it was horrible. 

Also I never said anything about a 3.5 day crossing. I said the longest we were suppose to have days in a row at sea was 3 days . We had scheduled  stops in the Azores for 2 days, Bermuda for 3 days and New York 2 days and after New York 2 days to Miami. Never were we to have more than 3 days between dockings. Then we diverted to the Canaries instead of the Azores and they endedf up with 5.5 days to Bermuda instead of the original 3. 

Had there been any common sense border control officers would have boarded the ship a few days out from NYC and seen every passenger face to face just as they do on other crossings prior to their stop in St Thomas which we have done on two occasions, just as UK border force do on Northern Europe sailings heading back to Southampton. It seems that it's not just MSC that need to learn things.

3 hours ago, Olivers Mom said:

.....The gelato is ok and expensive if you have to purchase it  as many people had to do. We were Black card so got it free but most folks are not Black card holders.....

Gelato is not provided to Black card holders free....if indeed you did, then you got more of a Black card perk than you were entitled to! What got you free gelato, I suspect, may have been the deluxe drinks package and not your Black card status.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sfaaa said:

If OP doesn't like to save money and cruise MSC, it's her choice and her own loss.

And our gain!! I don't think I could sail with someone who picks holes in every little thing. Sh*t happens everywhere, it's how you deal with it and let it affect you that's the more important thing.

That's just my feeling on it anyway

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hdowney said:

And our gain!! I don't think I could sail with someone who picks holes in every little thing. Sh*t happens everywhere, it's how you deal with it and let it affect you that's the more important thing.

That's just my feeling on it anyway

It sounds like the OP spent an awful lot of time "talking"  to sooooo many people.  I have said this so many times, but I will say it again.  When people say...   "everyone said so"  "everyone I spoke to, agreed"   "everyone "  "everyone" "everyone"......I never believe it and when EVERYTHING is negative, I never believe it.  I, myself thought NCL was the worst cruise line I have been on, yet I NEVER  was in a bitch-fest with other people about it....and I found a lot of things I DID like about NCL.  

• Like 1

Again, I was on this sailing and I am a big MSC fan. 

HOWEVER, Oliver's Mom has hit the nail on the head perfectly. Her and I are both seasoned cruisers.  I have 40 days on MSC. There were many many problems with this sailing. 5 YC cabins left at NYC without telling anyone because of the issues. Most YC cabins had private meetings with Allesandro (YC Officer) and Ziggy (Hotel Director of the ship) because of the issues we experienced.

And HDOWNY: This isn't picking holes in everything. These were major problems we experienced. Especially getting stuck on the dock in NYC for the YC members. FYI, The immigration issues only happened to YC members because we were the first group to be called. When MSC realized what they done, they quickly rectified the issue.

Edited by karenlovesparis

I tend to differentiate between a "bad cruise" and a "bad cruise line". It seems that from the outside looking in, this was a bad cruise. I wouldn't give up on any cruise line after a single bad cruise but I can understand those who do especially if it's a first cruise with a particular line.

My first MSC experience was great even though it wasn't "perfect" (no cruise is, IMO) and I'll be back on MSC. Many issues that others have had with MSC have been corrected so I see MSC as making the effort to improve. There will be bumps along the way.

Sorry that you had a bad one.

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

I tend to differentiate between a "bad cruise" and a "bad cruise line". It seems that from the outside looking in, this was a bad cruise. I wouldn't give up on any cruise line after a single bad cruise but I can understand those who do especially if it's a first cruise with a particular line.

I agree 100% We will probably sail MSC again. We love the cruise line but this was "bad cruise for many"

KLP ... Surely those who left would only show up when the ship was due to leave NYC  and not before. Also those people would have to settle their bills before leaving the ship.

Edited by sidari