Cruise Critic Community
Ernie G

Viking Jupiter - Deck 8 Foward Cabin

The last cabin Viking had for my sailing is on Deck 8 Forward/#8003.  It is under the Sports Deck but was told  by Viking that it is primarily used for Yoga.  If anyone has been under that public space can you tell me if you a had noise generated from above?  Early morning/late night moving of chairs, etc.  Also, have never sailed a ship this small.  The cruise is from Venice to Barcelona.  Does anyone have any idea on how rough the seas might be.

Edited by Ernie G

15 minutes ago, Ernie G said:

The last cabin Viking had for my sailing is on Deck 8 Forward/#8003.  It is under the Sports Deck but was told  by Viking that it is primarily used for Yoga.  If anyone has been under that public space can you tell me if you a had noise generated from above?  Early morning/late night moving of chairs, etc.  Also, have never sailed a ship this small.  The cruise is from Venice to Barcelona.  Does anyone have any idea on how rough the seas might be.

I did this cruise Apr/May this year, in the reverse order and had no rough sea problems.  We were not on deck 8 but you should be fine.  There  is stationary exercise equipment and a few day bed loungers up there but it shouldn't be a lot of moving around

15 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

I did this cruise Apr/May this year, in the reverse order and had no rough sea problems.  We were not on deck 8 but you should be fine.  There  is stationary exercise equipment and a few day bed loungers up there but it shouldn't be a lot of moving around

Thank you for the information.  I feel like you are  correct.  Do you remember  where you cabin was, AFT, Midship or Foward?

Hello Ernie. We were in 8019 on Star last year. Other than some noise from over excited putt-putt players a couple of time (during the day) we did not hear anything above us or outside. We did have one curious passenger look 'around' the barrier into our room one morning (he was as shocked as we were) but that won't be a problem in 8003 (8019 only has the barrier as it is the last cabin in the row). We have booked 8019 again for next year. 8003 is also right by the upstairs entry to the Explorer Lounge - which is a bonus.  Go for it. Enjoy

2 hours ago, Ernie G said:

Thank you for the information.  I feel like you are  correct.  Do you remember  where you cabin was, AFT, Midship or Foward?

On this cruise our cabin was aft on deck 3--3074 as I remember.  I was in 3010 for VH cruise in 2016 and there were no problems there either as the seas were calm.

We were in 8016 for eight weeks on Orion.  No issues from the people on the sports deck above, except a few times in the afternoon when we heard  light walking.  8003 should be a great room!  A few steps from the upper level of Explorer’s Lounge.

As far as rough seas, we had rough seas going across the Indian Ocean.  Guests and crew both were sea sick.  Don’t think the cabin location made much difference;  at least the rough seas didn’t bother us on 8.

5 hours ago, Ernie G said:

The cruise is from Venice to Barcelona.  Does anyone have any idea on how rough the seas might be.

Need to know which month, but with a couple of exceptions the seas in the Meddy are normally calm to moderate. Between those ports, with the exception of Jan/Feb, winds are usually 25 kts or less. DW may have a contrary opinion, but I consider that to be little more than a light chop.

In January/Feb, I have experienced a couple of nasty storms at the south end of the Adriatic - strong gale force to storm force winds and rough seas. However, for most cruises, this extreme weather would be the exception.

We were on deck 8 aft this year on Viking Sun underneath the shuffleboard game.  We could hear some noise occasionally, but it wasn't a problem.  We loved the proximity to the Explorer lounge and bar by our own secret entrance at the back of the lounge!  Nobody else seemed to use it.

As far as rough seas, I believe it is up to Mother Nature.  The heaviest seas we have ever encountered were from Rome (Civitavecchia) to Lisbon as we passed between Sardinia and Corsica.  The seas were 35+ feet with deck one and two windows basically staying under water with deck three covered by water about 50% of the time (October 2000 on Grand Princess) and lasted for about 36 hours.  When in bed, you would swear you were pulling negative g's.  I do not have issues with motion, but my wife does (note for all:  when you feel bad for your significant other suffering from motion sickness and don't want to leave them alone, don't bring your lunch consisting of brats and sauerkraut back to the room to keep her company).