Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
parrotfeathers

Doctor's Letter?

Recommended Posts

A couple weeks ago I hit my hand.  It really didnt hurt that much but has gotten a little more painful due to using it I thought.  I decided to go to the local MEA and now know a bone is broken and displaced.   Tomorrow is hand surgeon appointment and doc said I would be in some type of cast or splint after it is fixed.  My cruise is next week!!

Do I need a note from the doc saying I can go?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have insurance?  If you do your Doctor would need to certify that you are unfit to travel.  Check with your insurance company for specifics.  Good luck with your appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Do you have insurance?  If you do your Doctor would need to certify that you are unfit to travel.  Check with your insurance company for specifics.  Good luck with your appointment.

I think OP wanted to know if she needs a note to enable her to go on her cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

A couple weeks ago I hit my hand.  It really didnt hurt that much but has gotten a little more painful due to using it I thought.  I decided to go to the local MEA and now know a bone is broken and displaced.   Tomorrow is hand surgeon appointment and doc said I would be in some type of cast or splint after it is fixed.  My cruise is next week!!

Do I need a note from the doc saying I can go?

 

 

From personal experience you need the ‘go ahead’ from your consultant and then approval from your insurance company. The response that asked if you are flying is appropriate. I was aloud to cruise last year but not allowed to fly. 

 

Strongly suggest you liaise with all asap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a 3 day time period after a cast is put on when you cannot fly due to swelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Do you have insurance?  If you do your Doctor would need to certify that you are unfit to travel.  Check with your insurance company for specifics.  Good luck with your appointment.

But it sounds like she wants to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know my wife wasn’t allowed board a flight with a cast (two days old) on her arm, but no issue when I boarded a cruise with a foot in a cast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cruise line won't care if you are in a cast.  However, as others have noted, you want to check with your doctor on his/her advice regarding flying and traveling in general.  If you do go forward (hope so for your sake) and heaven forbid you have an issue onboard and need to see the doctor, your may or may not be covered for the cost of medical treatment.  If you have travel insurance that covers medical, you will want to see if it covers pre-existing conditions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I broke my arm in Zanzibar the day we were flying home.  The doctor put on a removable cast and gave me a letter saying I was fit to fly.  He told me to check with a doctor when I arrived home and when I did, the cast was changed to a fibreglass one that wasn't removable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get a note from the hand surgeon when you see him. It will take 30 seconds for him to write on a script pad "fractured hand, cast (or splint) applied on X date, ok for air travel and cruise" Better safe than sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

A couple weeks ago I hit my hand.  It really didnt hurt that much but has gotten a little more painful due to using it I thought.  I decided to go to the local MEA and now know a bone is broken and displaced.   Tomorrow is hand surgeon appointment and doc said I would be in some type of cast or splint after it is fixed.  My cruise is next week!!

Do I need a note from the doc saying I can go?

 

Sorry about your hand, I am in the same boat.  I leave this weekend on my cruise .  I injured my hand on June 10th , torn cartlidge and 2 ligaments..I have been in a splint since then.  I saw the hand surgeon who has a 2yr waiting list for surgery,, he injected steriods,  waited 2 months and saw him again and now he says " hmm I don't know how to help you, so I will send you to another surgeon".   So Saturday I leave for the Reflection with 3 different splints....I have travel insurance but since I am capable of travel and have not lost life or limb . I will go.  Travel insurance is a tricky business and will not often cover what you need it to........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

A couple weeks ago I hit my hand.  It really didnt hurt that much but has gotten a little more painful due to using it I thought.  I decided to go to the local MEA and now know a bone is broken and displaced.   Tomorrow is hand surgeon appointment and doc said I would be in some type of cast or splint after it is fixed.  My cruise is next week!!

Do I need a note from the doc saying I can go?

 

 

Unless you were hired to raise the sails, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago I tripped over some raised concrete on my way to the airport for a flight to Cabo. I knew my wrist was broken, but didn't want to miss the trip, and headed out for the airport. I will advise you that a freshly broken wrist will swell in the airplane during flight. The flight attendant was kind enough to supply me with ice for it and it really helped. I went to the doctor when I returned home. Luckily the bone wasn't misaligned and it was casted at that point. Margaritas helped medicate while I was away. You may want to consult your doctor about the air travel. A tight cast could be problematic. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Thank you everyone.  Doc appt at 3 tomorrow.  Will tell him I need this trip.  Hope for something not plaster.

 

Sincere best wishes.

 

Please let us know how you get on, it sounds like as long as they will give you a removable splint rather than a cast you should be good to go. If I was you I would ask for a letter just in case for the flight. I also suggest you take plenty of pain relief and anti-inflammatory tablets with you incase the traveling does aggravate your hand. 

 

You should let your insurance company know even if your doctor gives you the all clear. This does need recording by them just incase you did experience any complications. In our experience they were happy to allow us to go and there was no additional cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect the following two things to happen:

1. Everyone on the ship will ask you if you were injured during the cruise.

 

2. They will then tell you about the time THEY had a similar injury.

 

It’s human nature I guess, but wait and see, first one, then two, everywhere you go, elevator, buffet, theater, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, Turtles06 said:

 

 

On 10/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, dmg1956 said:

 

 

8 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Thank you everyone.  Doc appt at 3 tomorrow.  Will tell him I need this trip.  Hope for something not plaster.

 

I doubt either the airline or cruise line will bat an eye, but a note from the doc saying you are clear to travel can't hurt...just in case.    That said, I've been on a number of cruises when someone in our party of friends and family had a cast on their arm or a boot on their foot or whatever.  It's never been an issue. 

As for personal first-hand experience, last year I broke my shoulder in multiple places while skiing in Colorado.  Had surgery to have a ton of hardware put in that night.  That was a Saturday, and on Tuesday we flew home.  I was bandaged up, had my arm in a sling, and was attached to a pump for pain meds.  Delta never asked me a single question about any of it, either at check in or at boarding.  Two weeks later, still with bandages and arm in a sling (but sans the pump) I flew again and boarded a cruise ship and no one from either Delta or the cruise line (Royal) said a word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

 

 

 

I doubt either the airline or cruise line will bat an eye, but a note from the doc saying you are clear to travel can't hurt...just in case.    That said, I've been on a number of cruises when someone in our party of friends and family had a cast on their arm or a boot on their foot or whatever.  It's never been an issue. 

As for personal first-hand experience, last year I broke my shoulder in multiple places while skiing in Colorado.  Had surgery to have a ton of hardware put in that night.  That was a Saturday, and on Tuesday we flew home.  I was bandaged up, had my arm in a sling, and was attached to a pump for pain meds.  Delta never asked me a single question about any of it, either at check in or at boarding.  Two weeks later, still with bandages and arm in a sling (but sans the pump) I flew again and boarded a cruise ship and no one from either Delta or the cruise line (Royal) said a word.

 

A lot does depend on the injury....For arms I think the risk is swelling in a none adjustable cast, for legs it is the risk of blood clots following surgery. Our son was allowed to fly with a broken arm in an adjustable splint days after injury but following leg surgery I wasn’t given the go ahead to fly for six months although I could cruise. My Millie Asian cruise became a Norwegian one from Southampton! I will give Celebrity credit that when they knew I had a medical issue they could not have been more helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

 

A lot does depend on the injury....For arms I think the risk is swelling in a none adjustable cast, for legs it is the risk of blood clots following surgery. Our son was allowed to fly with a broken arm in an adjustable splint days after injury but following leg surgery I wasn’t given the go ahead to fly for six months although I could cruise. My Millie Asian cruise became a Norwegian one from Southampton! I will give Celebrity credit that when they knew I had a medical issue they could not have been more helpful.

 

Absolutely it will vary according to the injury.  I should have clarified that it's really up to your doctor to decide; the cruise lines and airlines are  generally unlikely/unwilling to stop a pax from boarding, even when they are obviously injured.  In light of their lack of medical expertise, their assumption is that if you are there you are ok to travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doc visit went fine.  Gave me a removable splint since it had already started mending but he did say don't take it off unless absolutely necessary.  I have 2 fingers free so can handle my Cosmo okay!

 

He said they try not to use plaster anymore because of the fiberglass but mine wasn't bad enough for that anyway.  

 

It will be a little inconvenient especially with the curling iron but as long as I'm on the ocean all is okay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...