Doctor's Letter?

parrotfeathers

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Doc visit went fine.  Gave me a removable splint since it had already started mending but he did say don't take it off unless absolutely necessary.  I have 2 fingers free so can handle my Cosmo okay!

He said they try not to use plaster anymore because of the fiberglass but mine wasn't bad enough for that anyway.  

It will be a little inconvenient especially with the curling iron but as long as I'm on the ocean all is okay.

So pleased for you! I strongly recommend Courvoisier as excellent pain relief.....Remember if you do get any swelling your room attendant or room service will provide you with ice.

Doc did say he thought I needed an orthopedic surgeon to accompany me just in case I needed emergency treatment, and he would volunteer to do it.

I think I will still have a great time.  Wasn't planning on excursions so all will be fine.

Amazing how many cruisers get hurt right before their cruise.  I was always afraid of falling off the ladder. Never thought I would trip over a chihuahua.

Okay, just have to share our very amusing story of our cruise after my husband was injured prior to the trip.  On a Sunday afternoon, the storm window which he had been working on came down on his TWO middle fingers.  Luckily, they were not cut off but, due to the injury, are numb to this day.  Anyway, the hand surgeon advised him to keep the bandages dry.  Ha!  We were due to leave for the Caribbean in five days.  He scoured every place imaginable for waterproof coverings large enough for these bandages.  Cut to the chase:  finally settled on condoms.  Extra large.  Worked beautifully but also made for very interesting conversation openers.  Chaser:  He had to change these more than once a day.  (By coincidence, we ended up in an unrequested handicap room.  Appropriate.)  Anyway, we often wondered what our very efficient room steward must have been thinking about his two older than middle-age guests who kept leaving XL condom packages in the trash can, daily.  Wonder what he was telling his fellow crewmembers, hmm.  

This is a true story, one we have laughed about for years.  I wrote about it for Budget Travel magazine a few weeks later and they published it, along with a photo of him, bandaged middle fingers and all!

Good luck on your cruise, despite your limitations.

Edited by beach spring
misspelled word
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On November 1, 2018 at 4:11 PM, chemmo said:

So pleased for you! I strongly recommend Courvoisier as excellent pain relief.....Remember if you do get any swelling your room attendant or room service will provide you with ice.

To the OP...more than one Cosmo works well for pain as well  LOL!!!  Have a wonderful time!  ;-)

On 31 October 2018 at 7:30 AM, chemmo said:

Sincere best wishes.

Please let us know how you get on, it sounds like as long as they will give you a removable splint rather than a cast you should be good to go. If I was you I would ask for a letter just in case for the flight. I also suggest you take plenty of pain relief and anti-inflammatory tablets with you incase the traveling does aggravate your hand. 

You should let your insurance company know even if your doctor gives you the all clear. This does need recording by them just incase you did experience any complications. In our experience they were happy to allow us to go and there was no additional cost. 

I broke my wrist and had it operated on ~4 weeks prior to our cruise. We were sailing from Southampton so no issues with flying and I had a removable splint. I notified my insurance company and they had no issues but it cost me an additional £70 on my annual trip insurance policy!! Celebrity had no issues whatsoever.