Keeping in touch

BR47

Is it possible on Princess to keep in touch with fellow passengers while your cell phone is in airplane mode?  Seems like several years ago, I heard they started a new text like system.  Has anyone used this lately, and if so, how does it work?

Thank you!

Yes, there is a texting facility on Princess that is on the INTRANET. You would need to sway ID's with each of the people you want to connect with. People will need to check their phone for messages as there is no alert when get a message

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It's a PITA.

Not ideal to be sure but, when we know we will be messaging within a period of time it "mostly" works as we simply check for messages. They don't always show up right away though and I have returned to the cabin looking for my wife when it turns out she had messaged me and I hadn't gotten it by the time I started to the cabin.

No charge as you are using the INTRANET not your cell phone provider. You can also use a tablet for this service.  But put your cell phone on AIRPLANE MODE just to be sure.  Should cost you nothing if used properly.

1 hour ago, konatyme said:

Would there be a charge from your cell phone provider? And do you need a smart phone?

There is no charge from your carrier for Princess@Sea messaging -- they don't even know it happened.  That being

said, it's more like onboard email than texting -- there is no "you've got mail" functionality.

The messages get delivered as a webpage on the ship's intranet website.  Some flip-phones could try to show

webpages, but figure, yes, smartphone needed.

The latest wrinkle on the subject is that if you are sailing where unlimited-minute internet is offered and your

smartphone and carrier support "Wi-Fi Calling", you can combine the two and have freebie incoming and

outgoing calls and "real" texts.

Just set AirplaneMode = OFF, WiFi = ON, WiFi Calling = ON, and log your smartphone onto the ship's WiFi.  It works

so much like "normal", that I keep checking the AirplaneMode setting lest I be paying ship's cell-tower rates.

Edited by Haboob

2 hours ago, Haboob said:

There is no charge from your carrier for Princess@Sea messaging -- they don't even know it happened.  That being

said, it's more like onboard email than texting -- there is no "you've got mail" functionality.

The messages get delivered as a webpage on the ship's intranet website.  Some flip-phones could try to show

webpages, but figure, yes, smartphone needed.

The latest wrinkle on the subject is that if you are sailing where unlimited-minute internet is offered and your

smartphone and carrier support "Wi-Fi Calling", you can combine the two and have freebie incoming and

outgoing calls and "real" texts.

Just set AirplaneMode = OFF, WiFi = ON, WiFi Calling = ON, and log your smartphone onto the ship's WiFi.  It works

so much like "normal", that I keep checking the AirplaneMode setting lest I be paying ship's cell-tower rates.

Is there a list anywhere of which ships have this type of internet? We had it on the Regal last December, just wondering what other ships it's on!