Cruise Critic Community
Sail or sale

ORANGE CLUB

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Nobody really knows anything about it.  There is a thread discussing it, though, here:  

At $100 per day for 2 people it is far too pricy  for what you get in return imo:classic_blush:

On short cruises -- like 7 days -- I have a feeling that a lot of people will take advantage of the offer and pay the price just to have a private place for breakfast and dinner.

So -- Neptune Suite and Pinnacle Suite passengers will find it crowded.

JMO -- I don't like the idea.

And I think it will only be on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam, which has so many other specialty dining options (Tamarind, Sel de Mer, Pinnacle) that it would be a waste of money!  

Who knows what ships the Orange Club will only be on.

I remember when the S class ships came out -- there was no Neptune Lounge or Pinnacle Grill.

Then came along the Rotterdam and Amsterdam -- both had the Neptune Lounge.  And they had the Marco Polo or the Odyssey restaurant.  Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites could eat there as many times as they wanted.  Others could eat there only once -- I can't remember if they paid a fee.

Then came along the Volendam and Zaandam -- also with the Neptune Lounge and Marco Polo or Odyssey restaurant.

The Neptune Lounge and specialty restaurant were very popular.  So HAL took the King's Room and part of the Explorer's Lounge to make the Pinnacle Grill.  And they took 3 (I think) inside cabins to make the Neptune Lounge.

The Marco Polo and Odyssey restaurants on the R class ships were changed to the Pinnacle Grill. 

So if HAL wants to add the Orange Club to other ships -- they will find or take part of another area to make this lounge.

HAL also took various spaces to make the Marabella shop on their shops.

Traditional HAL cruises do not like change.   But other cruises find the options refreshing and jump at the choice.  The reality is that those that spend the big bucks for Neptune Suites are going to fear that this "waters down" the exclusivity they expect for their big bucks.  Most others will have no part of this extra add-on and life will go on as normal.  But a few will pay  for the extra benefits and likely complain it is not worth the money.  Such is life on cruise ships.

Hank 

Thanks.  Interesting - I guess the thing to do would be to fill up a "family room" with 5 people, and then it's only $100 a day for five = $20 each - much more reasonable!:classic_biggrin:

And I noticed it said that ClubOrange will occupy part of the MDR on the other ships...

Edited by Vict0riann

On 10/31/2018 at 8:44 PM, Sail or sale said:

What can you tell me about this new "OFFER" from HAL?

I can tell you I certainly won't be joining the Orange Club.

If you are concerned about the Orange Club email or call the Mariner Society office and let them know. 

35 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I cannot figure out how this is worth $50 per day for me.  It is not.

Miss G,

Ditto......... It’s not for us either!

Denise😊

Not clear how this program will work. Do those in Neptune Suites no longer have access to Pinnacle for breakfast? That was always such a relaxing, uncluttered way to start the day. On the initial read, I thought it was a way to better use the under-utilized area of the new ships where the farm-to-table venue used to be (since they have full prep facilities there). Create a special club (orange) where guests who travel in normal cabins could pay $50 per person, per day to eat in their own special place - plus some other perks. But, upon reading the press release, I see that all suites will have access, and as it rolls out to the fleet, a portion of each MDR will be set aside for this club. It's a wierd hybrid of what other cruise lines have done for years. I feel like it insults those in suites (At least give them their own restaurant with special menu and open bar in the Neptune Lounge) and leave the exclusive free perks for those who have cruised many, many times to reach a certain status level. I can't understand why a couple would pay an extra $700 for a seven day cruise to eat the same food as the MDR? What am I missing here?