My daughter and I will be in Napier in December and I’m wondering what the ins and outs are as it is a working port. 

I understand there is a shuttle - does anyone know how much it is and where it stops?

And has anyone done their own walking tour (self guided)?

If you have any other Napier hints and tips, I’d love to hear them!

I don't remember about the shuttle, sorry.

We did the guided walking tour with the Napier Historical Society (or a similar name).  I enjoyed it very much.  I remember they had maps for self guided walking tours at the museum.  Well worth watching the short film about the earthquake and reconstruction.

I'm fairly certain the shuttle was free and it stopped at the iSite Information Centre on the Esplanade, which is across the road from the main street of the town. You can get the maps for the self guided walking tours at the iSite and there will be plenty of helpers there to advise you.

BTW make sure you take original photo id ashore with you (drivers licence or passport). The Napier port authorities don't like passport photocopies. They pulled one couple off the bus at the port entrance for "further processing" when we were there last year.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks Swissmiss and OzKiwi. 

Sounds like we will be able to get ourselves into town and do our own tour without too much trouble. 

And thanks for the tip about acceptable ID, we’ll make sure we’re organised!

There is no charge for the shuttle from ship side to the Information centre, but make sure you take government issued ID with you as security staff will check all ID's before re entering the port area. 

On several occasions we have seen folk removed from  the shuttle at the port gate for "further processing" and returned to the ship in the security van.