Liquor Store

RedRox

Hi All,

I'm looking to pick up a few bottles of name-brand alcohol (Vodka, Gin) when on the island in April. I've heard that St Martin/Maarten is a great island for this- I'll be coming in on the RC Freedom of the Seas- can someone direct me to a good liquor store? Would there be a good one directly in port, or cheaper ones further?  Thanks!

The best one we have found – when you get of the water taxi at the center of town, walk to Front Street (1st street you come to).  Make a right and it’ll be down about 3 to 4 blocks – between Pasyorie Steeg & Old St. on your left.  I cannot remember the name but there are liquor displays right at the entrance & usually one of the young women standing right in the doorway inviting you to come in.  If you don’t find this place – just pick one liquor & check that price in several stores.  They do vary quite a bit.  Also, some stores will deliver it to your ship if you buy by a predetermined time.  FYI – we have found St. Martin cheaper than on the ship (by far) & a lot cheaper than St. Thomas.  Have fun – St. Martin is great!!  It is the only place we’ve bought jewelry in the last 20 years – love our jeweler there too.

Every time I have been to St. Martin, my go-to place for my liquor purchases has been Friendly Duty Free liquor store. They are located at the beginning of Front St. almost across the street from the Yofa Guy museum. I have walked up and down downtown and, at least for the ones that i buy, the have always had the best prices.

FYI: not sure if it's the same way at other stores but if you buy here, bring cash. They charge a credit card fee to your total when using a credit card which essentially negates the savings you'll get. So you might want to consider that as well. They do deliver to the ship, though.

We also visit Booze It Up when staying on island, but note that they are a good 20+ minute drive from the Cruise Facility, each way, and sometimes their prices are higher than downtown.

We also shop at Friendly on Frontstreet, with more than one location.

The liquor store right at the water taxi dock downtown usually has decent prices, as well.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from St. Maarten(Journeys cruise - 18 islands)...best place to buy liquor, particularly brand name liquor to stock up your bar. Booze it up has a great selection (apparently so does prime cash and carry according to my trusted St.Maarten local), but like another poster mentioned, it is somewhat out of the way from the cruise port. Their catalog is available on their web site and I marked down the prices of what I was interested to form a baseline. Front street has the best prices(even lower than booze it up). The selection can vary from shop to shop, but popular Scotch and Canadian whiskeys are easily available and you can expect 20 - 40% cheaper than in the U.S depending on where you live.  Just allocate enough time to shop. I didnt. Plus I had already bought 2 in my list elsewhere. 

If you are looking for a fantastic selection of Scotch or just about anything else we strongly recommend visiting Gilmohars at 76 Front Street.  They were untouched by the hurricane and still have one of the most amazing inventories in the Caribbean.   They have been our "go to" place for many years for their collection of high end scotch and Cognac...but they have just about anything you can imagine.  The family that owns the place are very helpful if you have questions about booze.

Hank