Warning: NCL Shareholder benefit change

nj_flyer

19 hours ago, nj_flyer said:

that doesn't make it right, and i guess NCL wants to be a follower then a leader since they have to do what RC does 

and when they are the leader people love to gripe as well.

OP< I would love to know if you have tried to use your benefits and if so, when? I think what is being said is a bit confusing. When does this policy go into effect?  OK, now I have read the changes and still think it is very unclean. I will submit our request in the next few days and see what happens?

BTW, for those who say you can only request 14 days prior to sailing we have, often requested our $100 OBC as soon as we make final payment and never been told we have to wait.

I am reading the policy change to say, you can not get the benefit if you are on a special discount like a TA rate, not if you have a package with some perks. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

and when they are the leader people love to gripe as well.

OP< I would love to know if you have tried to use your benefits and if so, when? I think what is being said is a bit confusing. When does this policy go into effect?  OK, now I have read the changes and still think it is very unclean. I will submit our request in the next few days and see what happens?

BTW, for those who say you can only request 14 days prior to sailing we have, often requested our $100 OBC as soon as we make final payment and never been told we have to wait.

I am reading the policy change to say, you can not get the benefit if you are on a special discount like a TA rate, not if you have a package with some perks. 

This week and told this is the last time because I booked a sailaway and the change that the Benifit is not combinable with this offer and the policy was just changed in the last week 

4 hours ago, katiecat said:

I thought we couldn't submit until 14 days in advance of our cruise? 

Not that it matters to much now but I'm still going to submit my forms.

Curious as well..... I thought there was a 14 day window (but just read the newer form and it said "at least 15 days prior to trip" ...... I'm submitting my paperwork now. 

Thanks for the heads up

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sxm13616 said:

You are reading old posts from 2004. 

The date under the signatures is the date the person joined cruise critic, not the original date of the post.  No worries though, it's taking everybody a while to figure out the new format.

I am not a shareholder, yet, but if I do, is the following scenario possible now? I think it was before but perhaps this is one of the changes?...

-Book SailAway Room (no perks)

-Add UBP (or whatever marketing is calling it this week, drink package) as the added Perk in lieu of OBC? 

- if they do allow that, do you still pay the service charge (which is no longer an insignificant amount)

Thanks all,

If it drops below 40, we may get in on it. 

16 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

Looks like I’ll be trading mine in.  This is my only non-dividend investment.  Don’t see any value in holding on to it anymore.

If you've enjoyed the use of the Shareholder OBC I'd wait a few days before getting rid of your stock.  We've used it many times including requesting and receiving it the third week of September for our Sept 30th Bliss cruise.   Tomorrow I'll submit request for Shareholder OBC for our May 2019 Spirit cruise and will post result back here. 

This is link to the current Shareholder Benefit Offer

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/91699aad-cb30-4ff6-8e40-4dc290cb03b5

6 hours ago, kjquilts said:

If you've enjoyed the use of the Shareholder OBC I'd wait a few days before getting rid of your stock.  We've used it many times including requesting and receiving it the third week of September for our Sept 30th Bliss cruise.   Tomorrow I'll submit request for Shareholder OBC for our May 2019 Spirit cruise and will post result back here. 

This is link to the current Shareholder Benefit Offer

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/91699aad-cb30-4ff6-8e40-4dc290cb03b5

Please do let us know ... I dislike holding individual stocks and only have two. Both are considered part of my large cap and mid-cap exposure so it doesn't affect my overall investment strategy. But if there's not a shareholder benefit I'll probably simplify and roll NCLH into my mid-cap blend index fund. 

39 minutes ago, slugg said:

Am I the only one who objectively thinks it’s a dud stock and the on-board credit doesn’t even matter?

"objectively"?  that's asking a lot on these boards.

I think my broker is objective and he agrees and didn't like that I wanted him to hang on to 100 shares.  

The conversation here seems illogical to me. If you book a cheapo sailaway rate (that's not a special offer, but a published rate just like all the others), then there are no promos and you get the shareholder OBC. If you book a more expensive subcategory, that includes free-at-sea and maybe other perks, then you don't get the shareholder benefit. That doesn't make sense.

My guess, as reflected by some comments above, is that the restriction refers to special TA deals, interline rates, and such. It just isn't reasonable to apply the verbiage as suggested by some of the posts above. We'll see what results come from actual submissions for the benefit to be sure.

By the way, I always travel solo and I've never had the benefit reduced by 50%. I don't think I've booked more than a couple cruises at 200% supplement.

Maybe the best option for an immediate answer is to contact Investor Relations tomorrow at 305-468-2339.  Rather than some department within the cruise group, these are the folks who process the OBC requests, issue the guidelines and should know if the new wording really has impact or not.

Edited by lkjacobs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slugg said:

Am I the only one who objectively thinks it’s a dud stock and the on-board credit doesn’t even matter?

I'd say it's a buy if you're looking for a mid-cap in the travel sector. The 3rd quarter results will be announced in the conference call on Nov. 8th. Second quarter surprised investors with earnings 17% over expectations, but some analysts I've read say it's time for a down quarter. Yahoo Finance puts the "consensus" average of analyst's recommendations at from Buy to Strong Buy, which is a pretty good recommendation. So you are outside the norm of the analysts.  But all that could change on Thursday with the earnings call.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SailBreakaway said:

I am not a shareholder, yet, but if I do, is the following scenario possible now? I think it was before but perhaps this is one of the changes?...

-Book SailAway Room (no perks)

-Add UBP (or whatever marketing is calling it this week, drink package) as the added Perk in lieu of OBC? 

- if they do allow that, do you still pay the service charge (which is no longer an insignificant amount)

Thanks all,

If it drops below 40, we may get in on it. 

The way it has been performing I don't see it dropping below $40 but who knows? It did a huge dip last week, just like all stocks. All the mass marketed lines had a rough week and even then the last couple of days it started back up. 

9 hours ago, slugg said:

Probably not the only one, but what are you basing your so called objective view of the stock on? Yes, it nosed dived last week and has a few times in the past, but it doesn't appear to be a "noting" stock. At least for us, it has performed pretty well OK, I don't like the no dividends but, but am satisfied.  We rarely base our investments on a few days performance but more on a long term, like 5 years or more.  

8 hours ago, cocod08 said:

I just submitted mine this week for my January cruise I'll report back when I hear from NCL. This is the first time I've submitted as I just bought the stock. 

Looking forward to hearing the results of your submission. I am considering buying NCL, but not sure at this point. 

The blurb about solo travelers paying 200% has been in the T & C for a long time now.  I have cruised MANY times with NCL, and only once did I receive half credit for traveling solo.  All other times I have received the full benefit, most recently at the end of August.  As for these other "offers" which are referred to, NCL's ad for the shareholder benefit program states: 

"*Credit is applied on a per stateroom/suite basis. There can only be one credit per shareholder reservation on any one sailing. If you are requesting shareholder onboard credit for two or more separate staterooms/ suites and shares are held jointly, a minimum of 100 shares per stateroom/suite booked must be held. Singles paying 200% are entitled to full onboard credit value. Any unused credit shall be forfeited and is not redeemable for cash. Benefit is non-transferable, excludes Reduced Rate programs (e.g. employee rates, interline, friends /family rates, vendor rates, cruises taken via cruise credit certificate, or free cruises earned through Oceania Cruises loyalty benefits), and travel agent rates, and charters. All shareholder benefit requests must be received at least fifteen days prior to sailing date. "

So if you have friends/family sailing free, or you got a great rate lower than NCL, by going through a travel agent, you probably won't be able to get the shareholder benefit.  I guess because you already benefitted from that.  I don't believe it is going to impact combinability with Free at sea (other than friends/family sail free).  NCL obviously is making money with the open bar

Here is the URL: http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/91699aad-cb30-4ff6-8e40-4dc290cb03b5

The info is in the fine print at the bottom.  I had to expand the document a few times.

This thread left me scratching my head, but I’m happy to say that I received $100 of OBC for my upcoming cruise today. I booked through Expedia with UBP and UDP + $100 OBC so it seems like the shareholder benefit is still combinable with the typical promos.

Edited by cksv
  • Like 1

I submitted my request for the shareholder benefit last Friday in an email.  I received confirmation this morning that $100 of OBC has been credited to my account.

I booked my January 2019 cruise last March and received the dinning package among many other promotions that were going on at the time.  As many of others have reported, the Shareholder benefit is alive and well.

• Like 2