Cruise Critic Community
Wilda

Shorts in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants

2 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I totally understand the problem with athletic shorts, swim wear, tank tops, etc, but that is much different than a nice pair of shorts. 

Why do you and others who wear shorts in the MDR have a problem with swimwear, gym shorts, tank tops, etc? It used to be that shorts in the MDR was never allowed and now people wear them. It's just a matter of time before people start wearing those in the MDR. Oh that's right, I have seen people try. 🙄 Give people an inch and they will take a yard. Smh!

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why do you and others who wear shorts in the MDR have a problem with swimwear, gym shorts, tank tops, etc? It used to be that shorts in the MDR was never allowed and now people wear them. It's just a matter of time before people start wearing those in the MDR. Oh that's right, I have seen people try. 🙄 Give people an inch and they will take a yard. Smh!

I agree.  I always like the posts that are basically "I don't care what you wear, as long as you don't wear X!"

9 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Because there's a huge difference between looking nice but casual with shorts and a button up and looking sloppy with a bathing suit and a tank top. 

You would rather group them all together, but there's a huge grey area you're not accounting for. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

The O.P. said "no judgment," however, people do judge.  The fact that more and more people are going to the main dining room in what they consider to be "nice casual," doesn't mean the other diners aren't judging those who wear shorts.  The fact that Royal doesn't enforce a dress code by refusing the shorts wearers entry doesn't make wearing shorts an O.K. thing to do.  In my opinion, deciding to "wear what is comfortable for you and ignore the guidelines that have been set down" is, yet another, example of selfishness.

Personally, I always dress in the MDR and especially in the specialty restaurants according to dress attire rules listed by RCL, even if they don't enforce it. Just as I would if I went out to a nice dinner in my home city. In my opinion, no judgement to those that do this, I don't personally feel that if the RCL says to dress smart casual, pants and a nice shirt for men I believe, that one should wear very casual shorts and such, but I of course wouldn't say anything. And while people might stare and pass silent nonverbal judgement for doing so, I can't imagine that anyone would actually say anything about it as it isn't any of their business. As far as not being allowed in, I believe that it would depend on the wait staff, the ship, etc. I for sure wouldn't recommend doing it in one of the nicer specialty restaurants or on a formal night but to each their own. I would say to just be prepared in case there are looks or comments about wearing shorts in the nicer MDR or specialty, which might happen depending on what assortment of fellow passengers are on your cruise. 

I have personally not seen anything like this, other than these individuals getting some judging looks, but I've never paid much mind to what other passengers are doing as it isn't any of my business and doesn't impact my cruise experience. I always travel with women only so I can't speak to any of us ever wearing shorts. But I have done cruises before in the past with my brother and he would usually forget to bring pants back when we were younger and cruised as a family and honestly it would personally bug us for him not wearing the more appropriate attire, but he wasn't turned away from the dinner. 

However, if he wants to wear shorts for dinner, I would like to make a suggestion. Perhaps eat in Windjammer for dinner as casual wear is more appropriate in that dining venue. But that's just a suggestion to consider if one doesn't own a nice pair of slacks or pants to wear to dinner and one doesn't want to purchase one just for a cruise, which I for sure can concur with. I have experienced this before where my sister and I avoided eating in the MDR for formal night as we didn't have any nice dresses and didn't want to buy ones just for the cruise, so we did the windjammer that night instead. But again, that was just what we preferred and we didn't want to feel out of place in a more formal atmosphere. 

All just suggestions depending on what is most important but I don't believe that one would be turned away for wearing shorts even if its not what other passengers are wearing or what they consider to be appropriate to wear to dinner. 

Happy Cruising 🙂

I judge and am proud of it.  Every person you meet you judge.  No one should deny this very human act.  RCCL has a suggested dress and shorts are not part of it therefore I will respect the dress code and judge those that can’t 

6 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Last two cruises, I have worn and seen others wearing shorts in the MDR. 

When I wear shorts, they are cuffed above-the-knee, flat fronted and good quality. I also wear nice, well-fitted ripped jeans, usually with a button up shirt or the like. I've never had an issue.

I totally understand the problem with athletic shorts, swim wear, tank tops, etc, but that is much different than a nice pair of shorts. 

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

3 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Because there's a huge difference between looking nice but casual with shorts and a button up and looking sloppy with a bathing suit and a tank top. 

You would rather group them all together, but there's a huge grey area you're not accounting for. 

I have seen gym shorts and ball cap in the MDR on the Grandeur on formal night.  The kicker is that his wife was wearing a beautiful sparkly dress.  😮

Last couple sailings have seen shorts turned away from Main Dining. Not that they are consistent, but seems more so on Formal nites. One sailing 2yrs ago on Formal nite was a sign saying none allowed...

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have seen gym shorts and ball cap in the MDR on the Grandeur on formal night.  The kicker is that his wife was wearing a beautiful sparkly dress.  😮

Not surprising... Though have seen Ball Caps that look better then some Toupee's

Edited by ONECRUISER

9 hours ago, spookwife said:

IIRC  shorts are never allowed in the specialties for dinner..   depending on the exact ship, he  may also be turned away  from the MDR

by shorts I hope you mean  pressed/pleated belted shorts and not any sort of  basketball or  gym  gear.  

Except I have seen them on every single night in MTD on this cruise we are on.  Symphony TA.

Yes, not basketball shorts, but sloppy khaki shorts not even something nice.

JC<—— doesn’t care, but shakes his head when he sees it.

I was on the Allure this past Sept. dining in one of the pay restaurants and the guys at the next table (party of 6) were wearing wife beater t-shirts, shorts, and ball caps, yet the women were nicely dressed, go figure.  

20 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Excellent point ReneeFLL . 

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, Wilda said:

No judging please...just asking about wearing shorts in the specialty restaurants and MDR for hubby (we do not eat in the MDR on formal nights).

On the Aug. 29th Anthem cruise there were a lot of short wearers in the MDR, SR and DL.  Nothing happened to the wearers, and including myself on occasion.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:15 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve worn shorts in the specialty restaurants many times.  No one cares except people on CC.  On our last cruise one of the assistant waiters in Chops was wearing shorts.

Sounds about right.  I wore shorts on formal night on Allure just a month ago.  🙂  It was because I didn't realize it was formal night until we walked in and I wasn't going to change, but nonetheless, nobody cared one bit.  Even formal night seems to be a relic of the past and barely hanging on.  Shorts in the dining room are most certainly a non-issue.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:15 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve worn shorts in the specialty restaurants many times.  No one cares except people on CC.  On our last cruise one of the assistant waiters in Chops was wearing shorts.

Sounds about right.  I wore shorts on formal night on Allure just a month ago.  🙂  It was because I didn't realize it was formal night until we walked in and I wasn't going to change, but nevertheless, nobody cared one bit.  Even formal night seems to be a relic of the past and barely hanging on.  Shorts in the dining room are most certainly a non-issue.

Edited by BNBR

8 hours ago, JamesEM said:

I was on the Allure this past Sept. dining in one of the pay restaurants and the guys at the next table (party of 6) were wearing wife beater t-shirts, shorts, and ball caps, yet the women were nicely dressed, go figure.  

Just speculating here. Come form small rural town, slim pickings in men, best they could do but making best of it. They say women mature faster than men, the guys still 12 year olds at heart. Woman married beneath them selves and are still hoping to change them. Woman grew and realized that they married slobs and are dressing nicely hoping to attract a new man?

You do see that all the time, and again judging, often say " what is a good looking well dressed woman doing with such a guy? " " He must have money and she is hoping he dies young?"

George in NY

Judging but then I must say these MDR folks did provide a lot of entertainment. The hot white socks really made his attire but since he wore the same outfit every night and day the look faded after a while. I gave him benefit of the doubt, that he owned multiple pairs of identical clothes and actually changed daily. Hummm maybe not.

Was certainly out classed by the wife in her elegant fashion piece which proved ideal for her unique dancing moves.

Did I say anything, no, did take a picture yes. Friends at home wouldn't want to miss out on this one.

judging.jpg

I’m cool with whatever, as long as someone isn’t super stinky, or have a giant open wound 🙂. Or both...  Fortunately, I’ve never encountered either.  My DH did get a giant gash on his leg once, but he had it covered in a bandage, so I was cool with it...

On 11/4/2018 at 9:58 AM, blackshirt said:

Of course there will be people on the ship that will care. Who do you think posts on CC anyway, non cruisers? The question is will the dining room or specialty restaurant personnel care. Some ships do enforce the dress code, apparently happening less and less but still possible.

So, there is NO dress code. RCCL suggests attire for the dining rooms. But, since it is a suggestion, there is nothing to "enforce". Shorts are ALLOWED in dining rooms. On formal nights, there are guys in shorts sitting next to guys in tuxes. RCCL is adapting to the the contemporary cruiser who is on vacation. 

57 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, there is NO dress code. RCCL suggests attire for the dining rooms. But, since it is a suggestion, there is nothing to "enforce". Shorts are ALLOWED in dining rooms. On formal nights, there are guys in shorts sitting next to guys in tuxes. RCCL is adapting to the the contemporary cruiser who is on vacation. 

If you say so. All I know is every cruise I’ve been on it states every single day in the cruise compass that shorts are not allowed in the dining room. You can call that whatever you want.