Cruise Critic Community
Wilda

Shorts in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants

On 11/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Heres a cruise compass from Allure a couple weeks ago.  Please point out where it says no shorts allowed.

https://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/day1-3-merged-compressed/18

Where is the page listing the suggested dress attire for dinner?  I have seen it listed with that area on past cruises.  Just curious.  I have no dog in this fight.

3 minutes ago, later said:

Where is the page listing the suggested dress attire for dinner?  I have seen it listed with that area on past cruises.  Just curious.  I have no dog in this fight.

That is the complete compass.  My point is that there is no page listing suggested attire.  While some ships may still list it not all ships (particularly Oasis class) do.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is the complete compass.  My point is that there is no page listing suggested attire.  While some ships may still list it not all ships (particularly Oasis class) do.

I don’t think I see the front page but I do believe you when you say it is not listed.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, wytygr8 said:

Can I get a medium rare steak in the Windjammer?

Probably not but then again can't get a real steak in MDR either with out paying 29.95 extra for it.

But in the Windjammer you can scratch butt, pick your nose, and reach in and grab a hand full of fries. Those tongs just to tricky to use. 🙂

George in NY

8 hours ago, later said:

Front cover page usually as is here. Daily Snapshot section. States Casual, doesn't provide a No Shorts in MDR that I see have to give all that. Does say smart casual NO Shorts for Chef's Table but sure some will insist wearing them there also.

George in NY

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 5.49.26 AM.jpg

It's been an interesting and civil discussion of the topic but honestly a mute issue at this point. Cruising has become a different product, mass market. Nothing wrong with that we can all select it or not. Personally we choose it less and less when we had planned to choose it more and more in golden years. Friends of ours will not cruise any more choosing various land destinations now. Others have started cruising Viking which at least for now presents an alternate more high end cruise experience. Somewhere between mass market and TOO HIGH end cruising all inclusive style ships.

We all enjoy what we enjoy. We will still cruise but I am NOT willing to pay higher fares AND be nickel and dimed and have less and less service. If cruising is now a Walmart I want Walmart prices. 

Happy cruising to all!

George in NY

Too many people are still living in the past.  Their memories are filled with the elegant dining rooms, incredible food and white gloved service from yesteryear on Royal and years later expect the same.

Royal is the same company in name only.  In order to grow and compete in today’s marketplace they have had to shift the demographic they are catering to. They could have stayed the same small fleet with small ships and continually raised their prices in order to maintain that same level of service but they didn’t.  They grew and they grew quickly by building bigger ships with more amenities that appealed to families and they lowered their prices.

For those saying they don’t want to pay premium prices to sail on another line you should take a look at what you paid on Royal 20 years ago, add in inflation and guess what...those are probably what you would be paying on one of those premium lines.  

Bottom line is you get what you pay for, this is the new Royal and they most certainly are not apologizing for what they have become or where they are going.  Either accept it or move on.  

On 11/6/2018 at 1:55 AM, Ashland said:

Recently (September) off the Freedom on a B2B Southern Caribbean.....the first and only time we (D+) have seen the DL Concierge enforce a dress code in the DL...Needless to say she was far from being popular !! 

Well that is certainly a way to keep the crowds down.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:07 AM, bowler15547 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I've been cruising for 18 years now. I have packed a suit and multiple pairs of long dress pants for every cruise. They don't take up much room, if packed right. It is nice to get all fancied up, have a couple pre-dinner drinks and have a nice meal. Yes, I do wear dress clothes to work every day, but this is a fun reason to put them on. It really does not take much to do it.

However, the general idea of dressing up has changed. I used to have to wear a tie every day to work, now business casual means jeans and a polo to some. To each their own, but I do agree that you are going to a nice restaurant and being served high class food, that you should probably attempt to dress classy. 

You had me up to high class food which has also declined along with the enforcement of the dress code.  It seems that Royal Caribbean is charging extra for everything from front row seats in the theatre to private flowrider hours. I can't believe that they haven't come up with a pay for, formal black tie experience that would include upgraded truly fine dining offerings. 

20 hours ago, Kimba_83 said:

I don´t care what other people wear for dinner, for breakfast or in the theater. And those who want to dress up can dress up every night. Why wait for a specific night the cruiseline tells you?

Because a lot of adults are incapable of thinking or deciding anything for themselves.  They are blind followers of published guidelines.  If you ask them what their preference is they are not capable to tell you.  They don't have one.  If a newsletter did not suggest for them what to do they would be upset and not able to choose for themselves.  Here is a test:  Ask someone if they actually mind shorts, or are just rule followers.  Watch them start double talking and tap dancing away from the subject