Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Red Hat Cruise Cat

Bringing canned soda onboard

Recommended Posts

No. But it needs to be carried on, not in your suitcase. So that could be a de facto limitation.

 

We have taken a 36 pack on. The weight ruined a carry on bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

No. But it needs to be carried on, not in your suitcase. So that could be a de facto limitation.

 

We have taken a 36 pack on. The weight ruined a carry on bag.

We can just imagine  that weight & bulk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to bring it all on at once, if you don't want to. You can pick more up in ports and bring it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the soda have to be in a can?  I would prefer to bring it in a six pack of those 16 oz plastic screw top bottles, but I don’t want to break any rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

Does the soda have to be in a can?  I would prefer to bring it in a six pack of those 16 oz plastic screw top bottles, but I don’t want to break any rules. 

Not sure.  I would advise buying Coke, as HA has its contract with Coke/Coke products.  A crew member asked our son not to carry his Pepsi can around the ship unless the can was hidden in a sleeve or had a napkin covering the logo.  He complied and had no problem afterwards.

 

We've always wrapped the carton in multiple layers of packing tape with a final layer getting one of the HA computer-generated luggage tags.  We give the carton (sometimes cartons) and our luggage to a porter to handle.  We've never had a problem with crushed cans/any damage.  We avoid opening the soda for several hours after its delivery though. 

 

Is there a new rule that we don't know about where we have to carry the soda on ourselves?  It won't matter this Christmas because I think we're springing for the non-alcoholic beverage package, but in the future, we may need to know this to avoid a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carolyn22 said:

Does the soda have to be in a can?  I would prefer to bring it in a six pack of those 16 oz plastic screw top bottles, but I don’t want to break any rules. 

I always bring on 2 liter bottles and never an issue.  We like to have a bottle of ginger ale in our cabin, in case of rough seas (on our last cruise the ship quickly ran out of cans of ginger ale, so we really were glad we brought our own!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

A crew member asked our son not to carry his Pepsi can around the ship unless the can was hidden in a sleeve or had a napkin covering the logo. 

I've never been asked to hide my Pepsi can when I've had one.  In fact I believe I'd be talking to the customer service people about the policy (if indeed there is one) if I were approached by a crew member and asked to do so.

2 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Is there a new rule that we don't know about where we have to carry the soda on ourselves? 

We had to carry on our 12 packs in 2013, so not so "new"

Edited by Shmoo here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I've never been asked to hide my Pepsi can when I've had one.  In fact I believe I'd be talking to the customer service people about the policy (if indeed there is one) if I were approached by a crew member and asked to do so...

 

And if that should occur, please post the name of the HAL employee who raises the issue with you, as I (and probably others) would like to recommend that person for a raise or bonus or other recognition by HAL for doing his/her job with the interests of the "owners" (Carnival Corporation) in mind!

In order to obtain special pricing from CocaCola, HAL guarantees exclusivity to Coke products which includes making certain that other non-Coke products don't get free advertising on HAL cruises.  So I don't think you should take umbrage at being asked to cover the name of non-Coke products when you are on a HAL cruise, since HAL(through its employees) is merely attempting to honor its contractual commitments to CocaCola.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For fans of ginger products, I did a taste-off test once and tried to buy every single ginger ale and ginger beer product out there. Hands down winner for me was Bundaberg Ginger Beer - brewed real ginger, no additives and far more concentrated than ginger ale.  

 

Wonderful flavor and no added cayenne that some ginger beers add to give it an artificial kick. This is a famous Australian product, but can be found in the US.  Runner up was Schweppes Ginger Beer but often not available until you get to "down under".

Edited by OlsSalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, avian777 said:

 

And if that should occur, please post the name of the HAL employee who raises the issue with you, as I (and probably others) would like to recommend that person for a raise or bonus or other recognition by HAL for doing his/her job with the interests of the "owners" (Carnival Corporation) in mind!

In order to obtain special pricing from CocaCola, HAL guarantees exclusivity to Coke products which includes making certain that other non-Coke products don't get free advertising on HAL cruises.  So I don't think you should take umbrage at being asked to cover the name of non-Coke products when you are on a HAL cruise, since HAL(through its employees) is merely attempting to honor its contractual commitments to CocaCola.

 Hahahahahaha. :classic_rolleyes: This is absurd to me. No doubt they have a contract to sell only coke products, but to insist that no competitor can is viewed at all is ridiculous. As a customer I wouldn't want them telling me what I can and can not drink (wear, consume, etc) during my vacation. I have also been a part of these exclusive partnership contracts and I would be SHOCKED if it included any verbiage about anything other than what is sold. 

 

Back to the OP- I have carried on bottles and cans, of all brands. I used to only bring a little at the start, but last year I had a very hard time finding soda at the ports as I was in the Eastern Caribbean after the hurricane and many port stores were low on inventory of almost everything. So if a particular kind is important to you, I'd carry it on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one was telling my son he couldn't drink Pepsi; he was politely asked to cover the logo which he did.  It was no big deal to him or to us.  He continues to enjoy his favorite soft drink on HA cruises.  He simply brings a sleeve to cover the entire can which also serves to keep the drink colder longer so in his opinion, it's a win-win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aotmc said:

 Hahahahahaha. :classic_rolleyes: This is absurd to me ... As a customer I wouldn't want them telling me what I can and can not drink (wear, consume, etc) during my vacation. I have also been a part of these exclusive partnership contracts and I would be SHOCKED if it included any verbiage about anything other than what is sold...

 

 

Given your apparent lack of business sophistication, I am not surprised that you would be "SHOCKED" by what may be in HAL's contract with CocaCola ... you'd probably also be shocked by virtually anything having to do with business and commerce. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

No one was telling my son he couldn't drink Pepsi; he was politely asked to cover the logo which he did.  It was no big deal to him or to us.  He continues to enjoy his favorite soft drink on HA cruises.  He simply brings a sleeve to cover the entire can which also serves to keep the drink colder longer so in his opinion, it's a win-win.

 

👍👍👍  Congrats, sevenseasnomad!  You have obviously raised your son the right way, as evidenced by his very mature reaction to HAL's polite request to cover the Pepsi logo on his softdrink can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, avian777 said:

 

Given your apparent lack of business sophistication, I am not surprised that you would be "SHOCKED" by what may be in HAL's contract with CocaCola ... you'd probably also be shocked by virtually anything having to do with business and commerce. 

 

 

 

 

Assumptions about my business savvy, as well as what is in the Coke contract aside... I have not once come across any directive written (or even suggested) that implied a competitor drink can't be brought onboard or consumed openly. I have had many good-intentioned employees give out incorrect information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxisaFSKchaDGdzupG5

 

Good thing he was not wearing a shirt with a picture of a Pepsi Cola logo on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez, we can’t even talk about soft drinks without people getting snippy 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Geez, we can’t even talk about soft drinks without people getting snippy 😕

 

Soft drinks are very important to me but I prefer bringing my bottle of ripple wine on board. Wait till HAL tells me to cover up that label. Wasn't it Olsen Bean who said "We will serve no ripple before its time". And can you imagine when I bring my special triple ply extra soft toilet paper on board and HAL doesn't like it. I guess I will really have to cover my butt on that one !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, caribill said:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxisaFSKchaDGdzupG5

 

Good thing he was not wearing a shirt with a picture of a Pepsi Cola logo on it.

Hmmm.....maybe I'll have to break out my old Pepsi tshirt for my next cruise and give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

 

Soft drinks are very important to me but I prefer bringing my bottle of ripple wine on board. Wait till HAL tells me to cover up that label. Wasn't it Olsen Bean who said "We will serve no ripple before its time". And can you imagine when I bring my special triple ply extra soft toilet paper on board and HAL doesn't like it. I guess I will really have to cover my butt on that one !

 

I hope the full effect of the posted warning about what products to flush down the cabin toilet come around full circle on you. Thanks for fouling things up for others on your same plumbing circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

 

I hope the full effect of the posted warning about what products to flush down the cabin toilet come around full circle on you. Thanks for fouling things up for others on your same plumbing circuit.

 

Apparently you have never read my prior posts or cruise reviews. I would have thought the ripple wine and Olsen Bean would have given it away. IT WAS A JOKE about the toilet paper. Sometimes these threads need a little humor to lighten the day when a few become too serious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

 

I hope the full effect of the posted warning about what products to flush down the cabin toilet come around full circle on you. Thanks for fouling things up for others on your same plumbing circuit.

 

 👍 👍 👍  Thanks, OlsSalt - you nailed it with this one!!!  Some folks just don't get it and then attempt to escape responsibility by claiming , "IT WAS A JOKE", when in fact the offending comment was just an offensive bit of sarcasm!!!  Nice to have your voice of reason on CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, DaveOKC said:

I always bring on 2 liter bottles and never an issue.  We like to have a bottle of ginger ale in our cabin, in case of rough seas (on our last cruise the ship quickly ran out of cans of ginger ale, so we really were glad we brought our own!

 

This is a alternate to ginger ale . Bring a piece of ginger from the grocery store .If needed slice the ginger in a large pot of hot water ;which is readily available on any ship . You make a ginger tea by brewing the ginger in hot water & drink it to settle the stomach . I have used this for years ,even for a cold it works well :classic_biggrin:

 

 A piece of ginger is much lighter than the bottles or cans of soda:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

 

Apparently you have never read my prior posts or cruise reviews. I would have thought the ripple wine and Olsen Bean would have given it away. IT WAS A JOKE about the toilet paper. Sometimes these threads need a little humor to lighten the day when a few become too serious. 

 

You are right about one thing ...I do not read your weak attempt at humor posts.  My bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...