What Gratuity to Leave at Specialty Restaurant?

San Diego Ellie

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

And I have been told that they are part of the tipping pool. You will also usually see these staff members working in the buffet at breakfast and lunch and/or in the regular dining room at those times.

Perhaps those who work in venues where they do participate in the "gratuity pool" also choose to work in venues such as the specialty restaurants during their "time off".  By doing so, they are able to increase their income by receiving gratuities that guests who patronize these restaurants offer?

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Perhaps those who work in venues where they do participate in the "gratuity pool" also choose to work in venues such as the specialty restaurants during their "time off".  By doing so, they are able to increase their income by receiving gratuities that guests who patronize these restaurants offer?

I doubt it is their "time off".  These people work 7 days a week and each day they work most of the day for more hours than we work.  Specialty dining people are servers.  Tip them extra if you want... or don't... but they are food servers and should be part of the tipping pool.

30 minutes ago, dickinson said:

I doubt it is their "time off".  These people work 7 days a week and each day they work most of the day for more hours than we work.  Specialty dining people are servers.  Tip them extra if you want... or don't... but they are food servers and should be part of the tipping pool.

I agree.

They hand pick the specialty restaurant wait staff teams.

• Like 1

They work where they are assigned to work which could be in any of the food service areas.  They can probably request and be trained for specific areas but when those are not open they can and will be assigned elsewhere.

Edited by Potstech

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

They work where they are assigned to work which could be in any of the food service areas.  They can probably request and be trained for specific areas but when those are not open they can and will be assigned elsewhere.

Thanks for the immediate replies to my post.  

So, what is their status in the "gratuity pool" question?

I am not a cruiser with few nautical miles under my keel.  Yet, this question of specialty restaurant servers gratuities keeps appearing over and over and over.

Why are ALL of the cruise lines not able to state, clearly and once and for all, do the staff that serve us in the specialty restaurants participate in the "every guest paid gratuity charge"?  If they don't so participate, then make it VERY CLEAR that the cover charge we paid for dining in the Crown Grill, the Pinnacle Grill, the Tuscan Grill, or whatever venue DOES NOT include a gratuity for those who provide us with service that is supposed to make that dining experience special.

They have it written out in a easily understandable way.  Personnaly I have no problem understandng it.  I only tip extra to individuals who I think do an out standing service for us. Others are not provided extra for. But that is my policy and could care less about others. In restaurantsI never tip above 10% and have no problem.

Edited by Potstech