Ship or Itinerary?

gordylad

Itinerary, price, ship. While we like some ships more than others, we've yet to take a X cruise where the ship itself ruined the experience. Since Ocean Liners/Murano left the M-class ships we lean toward S-class when choosing a cruise if all other factors are about equal.

To the Caribbean, the ship is the most important.  To Alaska, the cruiseline is most important.  To Europe, the itinerary is the most important.  This is just the way we like to make our cruise decisions.  After 30+ years of cruising, we just know where to look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Europe or Med. raises are definitely driven by itinerary, then price, then ship. Caribbean is price, ship, itinerary. I cruise the Caribbean to just relax.Having been to most of the ports multiple times, I tend to look for the best price, then ship because I rarely get off for more than an hour or two. Wherever the ship goes is fine with me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

You forgot "price."  I would like to sail on Edge, but I'm not going to pay those ridiculous prices.

Definitely price.   The Edge is rediculous and the problem is the other cruises are creeping up real fast to where we might not  be cruising anymore.   I know there are some  bargains but for the most part when it cost $500/day for a cruise  I can find some nice hotel room and dine in a 5 star hotel for less and just travel around the USA and Canada.  Won’t be eating as much but I can buy some 6 packs of beer,  various bottle of liquor and etc or have a few drinks in the lounges for less and during a HH is even better.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I mainly agree with Lady Arwen.

Caribbean: I live in the Fla Panhandle. We have better beaches, better restaurants and I can buy Chinese stuff here as well as there. So when I go Caribbean, its for the ship experience: Ship/Price.......then itinerary, - maybe an island haven’t gone to.

Europe: Itinerary/Cruise Line/price. Love to cruise various itineraries, around the UK and Med ports. I like using the CC cruise search tool because it shows us what ships will make a particular port of call. We enjoyed Malta/Valletta and keep an eye out for a good cruise that stops there. So many other websites don’t have ports of call search options.

S America/US/Canada: again Itinerary/Cruise Line(Ship). Prices seem to be very similar here for most standard Cruise Lines. 

Alaska: Cruise Line for sure. 

TransAtlantic: Cruise Line/Ship Big Time for Sure. Then itinerary then price. We just signed up for a Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton (spend some time wandering the UK prior)-Boston-NYC Overnight-Bermuda Overnight!-Nassau (will enjoy the ship to ourselves)-FLL. I listed price because although we are trying the Edge (got very early bookings), the TA price is still up there and the Silly’s price is excellent at about 1/2 the cost for the cabins we want. 

So with all that said, I guess it’s looks like Cruise Line/Ship then Itinerary then price with price making the last call between two competitive cruises. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

Itinerary and price are the most important for us, with cruise line/ship being the least important.

We have been to the Caribbean so many times, we look at price and length of cruise first, the main idea for us being able to get out of winter weather for at least two weeks. We've been to most of the islands so many times there is little new to see.  Happy to have a new port this November:  St. Croix!

For other, more exotic itineraries, itinerary becomes very important.  Time of year is also important for us as it is hard to cruise outside of winter due to our business.

We do have cruise lines we prefer, but it is never a deciding factor.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miched said:

21 hours ago, miched said:

Definitely price.   The Edge is rediculous and the problem is the other cruises are creeping up real fast to where we might not  be cruising anymore.   I know there are some  bargains but for the most part when it cost $500/day for a cruise  I can find some nice hotel room and dine in a 5 star hotel for less and just travel around the USA and Canada.  Won’t be eating as much but I can buy some 6 packs of beer,  various bottle of liquor and etc or have a few drinks in the lounges for less and during a HH is even better.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

While I totally agree with you about the pricing on Edge, I also feel that it is because it is a new ship. We are just going to save the money (besides we don't like the Caribbean) and sail on her after the next Edge ship comes out.

As to pricing creeping higher and higher, I think that in just a few years you may see cruise prices in general start to come back down. Why? Because there are 121 new ships already contracted for (industry-wide) between 2018 and 2023. Those ships will hold more than 288,000 new pax and I don't see that many ships being retired in that time frame. And I don't think there are going to be that many new cruisers. We will see if the law of supply and demand actually works. 

Don't give up on cruising yet. Now where they will find the crews for 121 new ships...that's a different story.

Jim

• Like 1

I am a little surprised that so many people are putting the selection of the ship/ cruise line last in priority.  There are a lot of less expensive cruise choices and more exciting itineraries than those offers by Celebrity.  Celebrity usually offers a great value, but I do not  believe that it is ever the least expensive.

Maybe  you are assuming that the OP means once you decide on a Celebrity cruise what are your priorities?