Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
robindina

Boarding pass

Recommended Posts

Do you have to print it or is there an electronic version?   We don’t have a printer at home so just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Long Beach it can be printed at the port, but it takes a lot longer. 

 

It would be nice if they could email you a QR code like the airlines and be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a printer either. I have : friends with printers, a library that has printers, a hotel with a printer. Lots of places to get things printed out for you.

IF you cannot do any of those things then you can still get it printed at the port but it is not really a big deal to find somewhere or someone to print a few pieces of paper for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moviela said:

In Long Beach it can be printed at the port, but it takes a lot longer. 

 

It would be nice if they could email you a QR code like the airlines and be good to go.

I love that the airlines do that, so convenient! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't have a printer either. I have : friends with printers, a library that has printers, a hotel with a printer. Lots of places to get things printed out for you.

IF you cannot do any of those things then you can still get it printed at the port but it is not really a big deal to find somewhere or someone to print a few pieces of paper for you.

I know it isn’t a big deal, just curious about a electronic version, with technology nowadays you never know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is rolling out very soon are individual wearables to take the place of your sign and sail card. You wear a gadget like a watch and it will remind you what you wanted to do. It will charge drinks or trinkets, let you in the sauna, on and off the ship, and into your room. It will tell the muster crew where you are if you have not checked in. It will also let families keep track of each other.

There are plans to use mats that weigh you to make sure the right person has the wearable on their wrist. Imagine your ten year old takes your wearable and racks up $300 in the arcade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moviela said:

What is rolling out very soon are individual wearables to take the place of your sign and sail card. You wear a gadget like a watch and it will remind you what you wanted to do. It will charge drinks or trinkets, let you in the sauna, on and off the ship, and into your room. It will tell the muster crew where you are if you have not checked in. It will also let families keep track of each other.

There are plans to use mats that weigh you to make sure the right person has the wearable on their wrist. Imagine your ten year old takes your wearable and racks up $300 in the arcade. 

 

While I realize that your post is off-topic, I'm curious. Where did you get this information?  While it's true that Princess is currently using wrist bands, there has been nothing posted that I'm aware of that said Carnival would start using wrist bands. John Heald posts a poll about every three months asking people if they would like to have wrist bands instead of the S&S cards. The results are always the same. The majority of those responding say "No!" to wrist bands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moviela said:

What is rolling out very soon are individual wearables to take the place of your sign and sail card. You wear a gadget like a watch and it will remind you what you wanted to do. It will charge drinks or trinkets, let you in the sauna, on and off the ship, and into your room. It will tell the muster crew where you are if you have not checked in. It will also let families keep track of each other.

There are plans to use mats that weigh you to make sure the right person has the wearable on their wrist. Imagine your ten year old takes your wearable and racks up $300 in the arcade. 

I think you are getting this confused with other cruise lines.  Generally speaking, the higher end, more innovative cruise lines are rolling out some of this, and even doing more with smart phones.  Eventually, Carnival will catch up, and invest money, but I doubt anytime soon.

 

Also, RCCL now has electronic boarding passes, and I'm sure other cruise lines have it too. 

Edited by Havingfun2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moviela said:

What is rolling out very soon are individual wearables to take the place of your sign and sail card. You wear a gadget like a watch and it will remind you what you wanted to do. It will charge drinks or trinkets, let you in the sauna, on and off the ship, and into your room. It will tell the muster crew where you are if you have not checked in. It will also let families keep track of each other.

There are plans to use mats that weigh you to make sure the right person has the wearable on their wrist. Imagine your ten year old takes your wearable and racks up $300 in the arcade. 

 

Where did you hear this?  As others have stated I know Princess is using wristbands, but I haven’t heard anything about Carnival using wristbands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my next cruise I plan on just showing them the boarding pass on my phone. I will have a printed copy as a backup just in case but hope it works. I don't print ANY paperwork for our cruise except for our luggage tags so it would be nice to eliminate the boarding passes as well. There's just no reason to print anything anymore. Like someone else mentioned, I wish the Carnival would get on board with just having a QR code like the airlines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

Where did you hear this? 

Carnival has been issued 3 patents for using various technology like RFID, Bluetooth, and NFC for passenger experience.

 

There will be no big announcement. It will be like the elevators on Vista and Horizon, no buttons in the cab. When you board you will find a dongle in your mailbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moviela said:

Carnival has been issued 3 patents for using various technology like RFID, Bluetooth, and NFC for passenger experience.

 

There will be no big announcement. It will be like the elevators on Vista and Horizon, no buttons in the cab. When you board you will find a dongle in your mailbox.

One of the reasons I do not cruise RCL... I do not want anyone to know my every move on the ship - or off.

I know they have cameras everywhere and the SS card can have a chip in it but no thanks to something I have to "wear".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moviela said:

Carnival has been issued 3 patents for using various technology like RFID, Bluetooth, and NFC for passenger experience.

 

There will be no big announcement. It will be like the elevators on Vista and Horizon, no buttons in the cab. When you board you will find a dongle in your mailbox.

 

A dongle in my mailbox?!? Eww! I hope not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, robindina said:

I love that the airlines do that, so convenient! 

It has been a while since I have flown...is this for all airlines? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BENHANDEL said:

It has been a while since I have flown...is this for all airlines? 

Southwest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

One of the reasons I do not cruise RCL... I do not want anyone to know my every move on the ship - or off.

I know they have cameras everywhere and the SS card can have a chip in it but no thanks to something I have to "wear".

 

what are the others?

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

It has been a while since I have flown...is this for all airlines? 

It was available for Southwest, Delta, United and Allegiant when we flew on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

One of the reasons I do not cruise RCL... I do not want anyone to know my every move on the ship - or off.

I know they have cameras everywhere and the SS card can have a chip in it but no thanks to something I have to "wear".

The wrist bands are just for convenience, so that you can swim etc without worrying about leaving your card laying around.  The chip in the card, is often times used for finding missing kids, or seniors.  It is not used for tracking your movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

It was available for Southwest, Delta, United and Allegiant when we flew on them.

 

Thank you! We will fly Delta this time and it is available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 6:59 AM, teknoge3k said:

On my next cruise I plan on just showing them the boarding pass on my phone. I will have a printed copy as a backup just in case but hope it works. I don't print ANY paperwork for our cruise except for our luggage tags so it would be nice to eliminate the boarding passes as well. There's just no reason to print anything anymore. Like someone else mentioned, I wish the Carnival would get on board with just having a QR code like the airlines. 

Yeah, I would think that as long as you can pull up the boarding pass on your smart phone and the bar code can be scanned by the port agents, no need for printed copy except as a backup.

I know a while back, firemanbobswife posted a link for electronic boarding passes but I didn't use it so cannot comment on how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 2:56 PM, Moviela said:

Carnival has been issued 3 patents for using various technology like RFID, Bluetooth, and NFC for passenger experience.

It should be noted that Carnival also owns Princess which is where it's most likely those patents were issued for as they've already been rolling out their Ocean Medallions. I see this coming to Carnival eventually, but it'll probably be a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will see this on the Carnival line faster than you think. The stone age did not end because we were out of stones. People found a better way and it was quickly adopted. The dongle approach to security and sales has arrived. If you are interested see the patent for the dongle and door construction. 

 

Carnival Dongle Patent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Moviela said:

I think you will see this on the Carnival line faster than you think. The stone age did not end because we were out of stones. People found a better way and it was quickly adopted. The dongle approach to security and sales has arrived. If you are interested see the patent for the dongle and door construction. 

 

Carnival Dongle Patent

Disney has done something like this for their theme parks.  It seems to be quite popular.  

 

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/understanding-magic-band/

 

If not already done, I would assume they are working to implement it on their cruise ships too.

 

EDIT: Oh, and since what Disney has done sounds a lot like what Carnival has in their patent, I'm not sure what the Carnival patent offers as being "new" or "innovative".  Seems like that horse has already left the barn.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...