The Newest SoCal Princess

MsSoCalCruiser

Hello all...  I'm super excited that the Royal Princess is coming to SoCal (so I booked 4 cruises).  

Now I'm wanting to learn everything I can about her so please share your likes & dislikes too.  I hope this will help pass the time between cruises.  😊  And GO....

When was the last dry dock? When is the next dry dock? I normally love a Caribe balcony but what balcony should I love on the Royal Princess?  Favorite MDR?  Favorite area on deck?

Thank you!

We will be helping deliver the Royal to LA. We are on the 49 day South America cruise which ends in LA on March 23, 2019. 

I am not sure when the last drydock was, but the next is in December. It is my understanding that Princess Live will be removed and the Explorers Lounge put in its place. We have always hated Princess Live. 

Lots of nice entertainment in the Piazza in the evening. 

Most or all of the current staff will have gotten off by the time we reach LA.

This will give us about 130 days on the Royal, so you know we love her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Hello all...  I'm super excited that the Royal Princess is coming to SoCal (so I booked 4 cruises).  

Now I'm wanting to learn everything I can about her so please share your likes & dislikes too.  I hope this will help pass the time between cruises.  😊  And GO....

When was the last dry dock?

There is a wet service dock early December this year.

When is the next dry dock?

Years away

I normally love a Caribe balcony but what balcony should I love on the Royal Princess?

No large balconies on the Royal. There are a few cabins that have somewhat larger balconies. You can see them on the deck plans.

Favorite MDR?

All MRD's serve the same menu. Club Class dining, if you have one of these cabins, is in Concerto DR.

Favorite area on deck?

Retreat Pool, Horizon Terrace, Main Pool. No promenade walk on the Royal

Thank you!

Other

Like Alfredo's - No charge

• Like 1

The dry dock is scheduled for the week of Dec 1st.  The balcony cabins are smaller than the other Princess ships.    Caribe is a good choice for a deck. if you go aft, people can look right down.  I've known people who didn't care for these.  If going for traditional dining,  the dining rooms are far aft.  Something to consider when deciding the location of your cabin.

There are videos out there if you google.  It may give you a good idea of what would be a good selection.  I personally like the far forward Obstructed Deluxe Balconies on Lido and Mariner.  Granted you have to hike everywhere, but the balcony size is generous.  Others don't care for this because of their experience with wind but I haven't had that issue.

• Like 1

We have spent 90 days on the "new" Royal. Alfredo's is a very nice, no charge, Italian restaurant. Love the buffet layout and the large selection. Retreat pool area is a favourite lounging spot for us. Glad they are getting rid of the Princess Live area, as it was a waste of space. Winemaker's dinner area is a very nice spot to have a special evening meal. Love the outside eating area on the stern, aft of the buffet. It is a great spot for sail away, also.

• Like 1

The early December wet dock is only a week long so it’s doubtful to me that any significant changes will be made & it’ll be routine maintenance.  The new beds were originally scheduled next year but will reportedly be replaced during this shipyard time.  The first generation of the improved pillowtop mattresses are 5.5 years old & ready for the new luxury mattresses.

There are some dining options that are only available on this class of ship:  Winemakers Dinner ($40); the multi course Alfredo’s Pizzeria menu (free); Gelatos ($3.50); Oceans Terrace Seafood Bar (a la carte).

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/wine_makers_menu_2-oct-13_without_price.pdf

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/rp-alfredos_pizzeria-23-may-13.pdf

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/m_gelato.pdf

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/cr201_ocean_terrace.pdf

I prefer the included filtered coffee from coffee machines made from ground coffee to that made from coffee concentrate on other ships.

The buffet has an amazing variety of food options & I have a suggestion:  walk throughout the buffet before deciding which great options you prefer.

• Thanks 1

If you want a really large balcony, go with one of the CC mini suites on the Marina and Lido Decks, all the way forward.  These are the corner ones and the balconies are huge.  If you have a problem with seasickness, it might not be a good place to be but if you don't, the space is the best you can get in the balcony/mini categories:

L-108 Royal Princess Corner CC mini

• Thanks 1

Since you specifically mention the Caribe Deck balconies on other ships you will be horribly disappointed in the size of balconies on Royal. Be prepared to have your chair turned a bit to the side as the balconies are very small.

• Like 1

As others have said, the balconies on the Caribe deck are not larger then the rest of the decks like earlier ships.  In fact, all balconies on the Royal Class ship are smaller then normal balconies except the few aft and forward areas.

Have sailed in cabin L108 on the Royal and have oved this cabin.  It is a Club Class Mini-Suite and dining in the CC Dinning room was great.  Also, the extra size was fabulous.

• Like 1

Where can I find information regarding removal of Princess Live and installation of Explorer's Lounge? I didn't know they were making this change. We've never sailed on this class of ship. (We were booked for the 49 day 'round the Horn' trip in Feburary but cancelled quite a while back. (I had booked it way last year when it first came out. I wanted the Sip and Sail and they said "no" so I booked it as 19 day and 30 day segments and they were happy to let me have the Sip and Sail when booked that way. I think my liver will be happy we cancelled the cruise!)

Any links to info regarding the change referenced above would be appreciated.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chrysalis said:

We have spent 90 days on the "new" Royal. Alfredo's is a very nice, no charge, Italian restaurant. Love the buffet layout and the large selection. Retreat pool area is a favourite lounging spot for us. Glad they are getting rid of the Princess Live area, as it was a waste of space. Winemaker's dinner area is a very nice spot to have a special evening meal. Love the outside eating area on the stern, aft of the buffet. It is a great spot for sail away, also.

Where did you see this?

I've got a 7 day Mexico booked later this year and can't wait to get to Alfredo's for the veal ravioli!  And the wonderful entertainment throughout the ship and the food in general in my opinion is a cut above.  I took an upsell to a Caribe mini on my last cruise and have posted previously that the balconies are so small that even when using the foot rest you can not fully extend your legs.  So I booked the upcoming on the 3 For Free and got the extended angled balcony on Aloha deck.

• Like 1

The resolution of the MUTS screen is better and brighter than on the Grand class.

The in room TVs have on demand movies so you don't have to pick up a movie half way through.

The walking track on the sports deck has some stations to it, so that is good, but it is short (I think 7 laps to 1 mile) and it is uncovered so can get hot in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera.  We like to walk in the mornings on the Grand class deck 7 promenade, but prefer to walk in the coolness of the evenings on the Royal.  This is the one down side of the Royal, but we still prefer it over the Grands.

The Piazza (not sure how you spell it) is larger than the Grand class, which is nice, since it is of course the central hub of much of ship life.

We are back on the Royal in 11 days - very much looking forward to it.

Don

• Thanks 1

On November 5, 2018 at 8:30 AM, paul929207 said:

We will be helping deliver the Royal to LA. We are on the 49 day South America cruise which ends in LA on March 23, 2019. 

I am not sure when the last drydock was, but the next is in December. It is my understanding that Princess Live will be removed and the Explorers Lounge put in its place. We have always hated Princess Live. 

Lots of nice entertainment in the Piazza in the evening. 

Most or all of the current staff will have gotten off by the time we reach LA.

This will give us about 130 days on the Royal, so you know we love her.

Take good care of her for us!  I can't wait to hear all about your cruise.  Will you be doing a live report?  Enjoy you cruise!